OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Postby TahsSunny » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:33 am

I don't see why people hate crops/tails being docked so much..

I personally like docked tails, I like seeing docked tails on Rottweilers/Dobermans and when I own a Rottweiler one day, I will be looking for a breeder who breeds natural bob tailed Rottweilers since I think tail docking is illegal here. I don't mind seeing a docked tail on most breeds, I just love the look personally. I would never just dock my dogs tail though, including a Rottweilers, if I were to find a pup on the street with a tail, it would be keeping that tail.

I love cropped ears to, Iike the look, no idea why. I love seeing cropped ears but I also love seeing natural ears as well. If I didn't live in Australia were ear cropping was Illegal, I probably would crop my dogs ear (if he/she was a bully breed). I wouldn't do it with all the bully breeds i'll own through my life but sometime's I would.

I don't see the big deal if some one wants to crop/dock tails as long as it's done humanely.

Each to there own though.
TahsSunny
Addicted to PBF

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:28 pm

Ive concluded in my own mind that me personally respect people who get GOOD cropped jobs on their dogs. That means it fits the dogs face and it is done by a professional at the appropriate age and etc. Everyone is entitled to do as they please with there dog, as long as it is appropriate(and legal), the cropping of ears is not very innapropriate to me, they go through more pain when fixed.

BUT there is no health benefit from it, so i do somewhat think it is unnecessary so that is why my opinion is to NOT crop my pitties ears, I just think there too cute to cut off ^_^. He looks just as manly with them not cut off to me.

I cant help but think once when a baby is born with too pointy of ears, MANYparents have their babies go through a surgery as young babies to get their ears pulled back to look normal. Yes completely different but i believe there is a similarity because although there is no health benefit, your making them look better.

Docking of tails on a pitbull, totally against because i think it looks rediculous.
But on a rottie or a doberman, very appropriate to fit the breed in my opinion.
Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Postby nsbullylover » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:31 pm

Brianna&Bubba. wrote:Ive concluded in my own mind that me personally respect people who get GOOD cropped jobs on their dogs. That means it fits the dogs face and it is done by a professional at the appropriate age and etc. Everyone is entitled to do as they please with there dog, as long as it is appropriate(and legal), the cropping of ears is not very innapropriate to me, they go through more pain when fixed.

BUT there is no health benefit from it, so i do somewhat think it is unnecessary so that is why my opinion is to NOT crop my pitties ears, I just think there too cute to cut off ^_^. He looks just as manly with them not cut off to me.

I cant help but think once when a baby is born with too pointy of ears, MANYparents have their babies go through a surgery as young babies to get their ears pulled back to look normal. Yes completely different but i believe there is a similarity because although there is no health benefit, your making them look better.

Docking of tails on a pitbull, totally against because i think it looks rediculous.

I agree with a lot of this. I would never personally get a dog's ears cropped, but if someone wishes to do so and has it done legally and humanely, that's ok. Some dogs look stunning with cropped ears.

I admit I think stubby tails are cute, but if I were to purchase a docked tail breed and could choose whether it's tail was to be docked or left natural, I'd leave it natural. I've seen a couple dogs that were breeds that are normally docked that had tails and they looked gorgeous.
nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby snikles » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:56 pm

I agree with Oje about ear cropping. I think pit bulls with their ears cropped do not make the best ambassadors for the breed. It makes them appear more aggressive and it is often associated with dog fighting or guarding which is not the impression that most people want for this breed. On personal note I think it looks pretty silly especially for pit bulls.

As for weight pulling, I think it is a fun exercise and most dogs that I have been around genuinely enjoy it. It is no more cruel than it is to make your kids go out and exercise instead of sitting at home and playing video games. I also think that Oje said in another thread he was going to teach his dog to pull him on a skateboard and I am not sure how that is different from weight pulling? :dunno:
snikles
Adolescent Bully

Postby Shaggy0625 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:37 pm

nsbullylover wrote:
Brianna&Bubba. wrote:Ive concluded in my own mind that me personally respect people who get GOOD cropped jobs on their dogs. That means it fits the dogs face and it is done by a professional at the appropriate age and etc. Everyone is entitled to do as they please with there dog, as long as it is appropriate(and legal), the cropping of ears is not very innapropriate to me, they go through more pain when fixed.

I agree with a lot of this. I would never personally get a dog's ears cropped, but if someone wishes to do so and has it done legally and humanely, that's ok. Some dogs look stunning with cropped ears.

I admit I think stubby tails are cute, but if I were to purchase a docked tail breed and could choose whether it's tail was to be docked or left natural, I'd leave it natural. I've seen a couple dogs that were breeds that are normally docked that had tails and they looked gorgeous.

I agree with both of these. I have also noticed a new trend of people altering their ears to look like elf ears!!! :headbang:
Shaggy0625
Newborn Bully

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:37 am

I agree with both of these. I have also noticed a new trend of people altering their ears to look like elf ears!!! :headbang:[/quote]

There is a thread in the General section and someone is asking about other peoples opinion on what specific crop job and there is a picture showing the the top four crop jobs. & the one your talking about is a long crop. I think they look silly, but hey everyone is entitled to their own opinon. I personally like the show crop, its in between the short crop and the long crop.
Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:46 am

Oje wrote: strap a harness to their dog and make it drag weights around. I guess there's no chance of injury in that huh?

People who properly train for this sport do not "make" their dogs pull. The dog has to want to pull and enjoy it. And an unsound dog should not be pulling, and a dog under 2 years should not be pulling so that they're fully developed.

If ear cropping is done properly by a veterinarian under anesthesia it does not bother me, some registrations desire cropped ears for conformation. However the ADBA does not, I like the ADBA. :x

Edit: There is a pit bull ambassador with cropped ears right now, one of Michael Vick's dogs. I don't see how cropped ears make a dog look aggressive, it may make them look intense but not aggressive.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nichole » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:16 am

I'm against cropping but like others have stated I'm less bothered by it if it is done under anesthesia and in the hands of a skilled vet. Still don't "approve" of it but at least the dog isn't suffering in the hands of a hack.

I had someone ask if I was going to crop Sadie's ears when she was a pup. I couldn't even imagine not having those soft velvety ears to nom on while we're snuggling on the couch. I think those floppy ears are one of the best physical features of bully breeds.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby snikles » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:32 am

Nichole wrote:I had someone ask if I was going to crop Sadie's ears when she was a pup. I couldn't even imagine not having those soft velvety ears to nom on while we're snuggling on the couch. I think those floppy ears are one of the best physical features of bully breeds.

I agree 100%. They are my favorite aesthetic feature of the breeds.
snikles
Adolescent Bully

Postby Luna_Redmoon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:49 pm

i stated somewhere here earlier tht it doesnt bother me, but if i was to get it done it would be to a male. never on a female (too masculine to me). however, I do have a young pup with a retarded ear that just is not growing right. his right ear is a bit shorter than the left and it touches the left ear, completely. i have taped it to try and help it grow the right direction since first notice that it was going to be like that, however, the cartiledge just wont form to it. Because I would like to eventually do shows with him among other things, i plan to have a a cut in between a long crp and show crop done. it would be perfect for his larger head size and broad body. however, i originally was not planning on cutting his ears.
I have done some research on vets that do this and my local vet is not the best choice...at least not for bullies. Im travelling to Dr. Howard in cleveland who did my friend's doberman pups (and bitch when she was younger) and schnauzers. I love his work and he works with you on what would look best on the dog. Im bringing in two photos of cuts I like, one being of one of the dogs I already have who came cut to me. He says because of the way his right ear is forming, that he agrees cropping would be the best bet to help keep a deformity from getting worse. (its middle point and up just hasnt grown...). And already had evaluation, and he showed me some other cuts he has done (some with the same problem on other breeds) and they turned out great! Couldnt even tell.
Jace goes in in a week and a half. Im nervous because this would be the first time Ive taken in a puppy to get its ears cut. But Dr.Howard is a great vet and I trust him and his work.
He even did another friend of mine's Dogo after a random dog fight and half his ear was torn off. (poor guy...) He used to be sensitive....but now he loves his ears and face to be touched.
Im also excited to see how Jace turns out. He is already a very handsom boy minus the one ear lol. Im hoping this would help his constant scratching of the ear in the long run as well. Though I do believe he will have to wear a cone until healed...
Luna_Redmoon
Newborn Bully

Postby TahsSunny » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:49 pm

Luna_Redmoon wrote:i stated somewhere here earlier tht it doesnt bother me, but if i was to get it done it would be to a male. never on a female (too masculine to me). however, I do have a young pup with a retarded ear that just is not growing right. his right ear is a bit shorter than the left and it touches the left ear, completely. i have taped it to try and help it grow the right direction since first notice that it was going to be like that, however, the cartiledge just wont form to it. Because I would like to eventually do shows with him among other things, i plan to have a a cut in between a long crp and show crop done. it would be perfect for his larger head size and broad body. however, i originally was not planning on cutting his ears.
I have done some research on vets that do this and my local vet is not the best choice...at least not for bullies. Im travelling to Dr. Howard in cleveland who did my friend's doberman pups (and bitch when she was younger) and schnauzers. I love his work and he works with you on what would look best on the dog. Im bringing in two photos of cuts I like, one being of one of the dogs I already have who came cut to me. He says because of the way his right ear is forming, that he agrees cropping would be the best bet to help keep a deformity from getting worse. (its middle point and up just hasnt grown...). And already had evaluation, and he showed me some other cuts he has done (some with the same problem on other breeds) and they turned out great! Couldnt even tell.
Jace goes in in a week and a half. Im nervous because this would be the first time Ive taken in a puppy to get its ears cut. But Dr.Howard is a great vet and I trust him and his work.
He even did another friend of mine's Dogo after a random dog fight and half his ear was torn off. (poor guy...) He used to be sensitive....but now he loves his ears and face to be touched.
Im also excited to see how Jace turns out. He is already a very handsom boy minus the one ear lol. Im hoping this would help his constant scratching of the ear in the long run as well. Though I do believe he will have to wear a cone until healed...

Please post photo's of the crop!. Also, good luck with the crop! Do you have a current photo of your pups ears now?.
TahsSunny
Addicted to PBF

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:50 am

I honestly will never dock my dogs tail or crop their ears. Mostly because it inhibits the ability to read Canine body language. The ears and tail are (to me) one of the most important things in Canine body language. I have seen dogs with good crop jobs, but its not for me.
SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Shaggy0625 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:10 am

SnowKoi2010 wrote:I honestly will never dock my dogs tail or crop their ears. Mostly because it inhibits the ability to read Canine body language. The ears and tail are (to me) one of the most important things in Canine body language. I have seen dogs with good crop jobs, but its not for me.

I agree. I can always tell my dogs moods by their tail (which is a lethal weapon in 48 states and able to clear a coffee table in .5 seconds!!!) :headbang: :headbang:
Shaggy0625
Newborn Bully

Postby Luna_Redmoon » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:49 am

TahsSunny wrote:
Please post photo's of the crop!. Also, good luck with the crop! Do you have a current photo of your pups ears now?.

Oh I will! Im so nervous/excited lol. And I currently dont have any recent photos on this computer. I will have to ask my fiance to upload some. :)
Luna_Redmoon
Newborn Bully

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:39 pm

Shaggy0625 wrote:
SnowKoi2010 wrote:I honestly will never dock my dogs tail or crop their ears. Mostly because it inhibits the ability to read Canine body language. The ears and tail are (to me) one of the most important things in Canine body language. I have seen dogs with good crop jobs, but its not for me.

I agree. I can always tell my dogs moods by their tail (which is a lethal weapon in 48 states and able to clear a coffee table in .5 seconds!!!) :headbang: :headbang:

xD So true. Though snows weapon is her feet. Lets just say that the guys return the help balling on the floor. Anyways, I'mg lad someone agrees with me! I mean there is no medical benefit from getting the dogs ears done, So I don't see the point.
SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues