how long to keep raw bones???

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

how long to keep raw bones???

Postby damienApbt » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:45 pm

i bought rod a raw beef bone yesterday... its pretty long so he couldnt get it all out... should i throw it out now???

its been out since yesterday....

this is probably a stupid question..
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:53 pm

That depends on whether the bone bothers you or not. It won't hurt Rod any, there are old bones in the yard that the dogs drag around for weeks. As long as they stay out there we leave them, as soon as they try to bring them in they hit the trash.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby Leslie H » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:05 pm

Xanny's are here forever, she gets most of the gross stuff the first day. On the other hand, they will spoil if you leave them in the fridge. Go figure.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby damienApbt » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:15 pm

im talking about the leftover raw stuff in the middle. its a really long bone so there some still left in the middle. is it bad to let him go at it till its gone even days later???
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby mnp13 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:44 pm

If it starts to attract flies then rinse it out, until then let it be.
mnp13

Postby blover27 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:48 pm

and not to hijack your thread but this is kinda related. we had a butcher at our BBQ on sunday and he brought pork bones...they were about 2 inches wide and about the size of a pancake...he put them in a tin on the grill for just a few minutes before he gave them to jack. i told him i didnt think that was neccesary cause they might spliter but he said since they were pig bones they wouldnt? :huh?: he didnt have much interest in them and i threw them out already cause i was unsure. would they have kept ok too? and should he not have cooked them for a few minutes?

sorry damien...if you think its a hijack i'll edit it out :oops:
blover27

Postby concreterose » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:28 pm

I let them have the bones until they start cracking them and the edges get sharp. Pookie, the semi-toothless wonder still has jaws of steel and can eat most of one up,
concreterose
Regulator

Postby Leslie H » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:40 pm

Xanny often has a little goo in the center for a few days, even a week. No spoilage, though I don't know why.
Pork bones are bad, raw pork can carry trichinosis, and cooked bones are bad.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby mnp13 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:22 pm

Pork bones are baaaaaaad. (so are sheep lol)

Raw and you and your dog can get worms, cooked and they shatter. The smoked pig we did at the farm had bones so brittle that I could splinter them with my hands.

Stick with beef bones, and though some people have had good luck with them, be careful with rib bones, they can splinter because they are so thin walled.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby elizer » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:20 am

some people say pork is ok?
what is trichonosis?
recently i bought some pork necks for my little pup, he had about 5 meals on it so far... should i throw the rest out?
i have about 3 days worth of it...(9 meals)
elizer

Postby HugABull1 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:38 am

Pork is only bad if it's from a source where you can get trichanosis (a parasite). Here in BC, our pork is CLEAN (I know most of the major pig farmers - it's one family mainly)!!! My doggies love pork, although it is high in fat. Once in a while they get pigs feet as a treat. Ham is always bad though, as it's high in salt, and the smoke "cooks" the meat so that the bone is brittle.

And NEVER feed any kind of cooked bone.
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby mnp13 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:23 am

mnp13

Postby K » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:48 am

When we could get bones (before BSE) I used to bag them and stick them in the freezer overnight..kills off all the germies!!!
K

Postby barbponys » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:22 pm

One thing I don't understand in regards to trichinosis is, why does freezing pork for 3 weeks at -10 kill the bug but it won't in bear or walrus?? It's the same parasite??? Regardless, I have far more fear of trichinosis than bse. I won't feed cooked pork let alone raw. Or any pork product for that matter.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby blover27 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:33 pm

barbponys wrote:One thing I don't understand in regards to trichinosis is, why does freezing pork for 3 weeks at -10 kill the bug but it won't in bear or walrus?? It's the same parasite??? Regardless, I have far more fear of trichinosis than bse. I won't feed cooked pork let alone raw. Or any pork product for that matter.

good enough for me :thumbsup: ...pork is out :))
blover27

Next

Return to Health Issues