how long to keep raw bones???

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:33 pm

mnp13 wrote:Pork bones are baaaaaaad. (so are sheep lol)

So , was that a "baaahd" pun, or is there something wrong with feeding raw sheep meat? Because I am. If there it is not good to feed sheep meat/bones, please let me know. And is horse ok? I just received a whole bunch of horse scraps from the butcher, and the dogs really enjoy it.

Thanks...
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby blover27 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:35 pm

horse scraps from the butcher

*note to self: avoid Steph-n-Wolf's butcher* lol
blover27

Postby mnp13 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:38 pm

Steph-n-Wolf wrote:
mnp13 wrote:Pork bones are baaaaaaad. (so are sheep lol)

So , was that a "baaahd" pun, or is there something wrong with feeding raw sheep meat? Because I am. If there it is not good to feed sheep meat/bones, please let me know. And is horse ok? I just received a whole bunch of horse scraps from the butcher, and the dogs really enjoy it.

I know nothing about sheep, I was being funny.

You are feeding horse to your dogs? No comment...

Michelle
mnp13

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:49 pm

The butcher here is wonderful and lets us glean right afetr a butcher. It is all refridgerated, and then frozen that day directly after I cut it up and seperate out what is what... as far as horse goes, they do butcher jobs for farms and ranches, and this horse was injured (don't know much of the story) They donated the meat our way, and it went to a few different owners and rescuers. I have quite a bit now, and what info I am finding is saying that it is safe. Not something that I would go looking for (I am a vegitarian, which is a bit ironic, and horses are one of my most loved animals...)

We get all sorts of things from this butcher; emu, elk, bison, venison, sheep, beef, and other things here and there. We do not feed pork... but I have not heard much on sheep (everyone I talk to shrugs and says "its fine, I think".) I know nothing about horse as food, but the butcher says that they have done horse-meat jobs before.... the critters seem to enjoy it. I just thought that you may have known something about sheep that I didn't... but I appriciate your pun either way! :))
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby damienApbt » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:09 pm

i have the bone in the house, so i couldnt to the fly test... i threw it out today.. it kinda smelled bad.. if it were just a little shorter he would have gotten it all out. sure as hell kept him busy though, you should have seen his face when i threw it out. poor little guy.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:12 pm

... Sounds like time to get a new bone!!!! roflmao
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby barbponys » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:25 pm

I wish there was a butcher like that round here Steph. I would pass on the horse meat though.......got four of the critters in my back yard, couldn't feed it to my dogs.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby damienApbt » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:27 pm

barbponys wrote:I wish there was a butcher like that round here Steph. I would pass on the horse meat though.......got four of the critters in my back yard, couldn't feed it to my dogs.

lol dont want to give them any ideas. let them know what they're missing out on.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:29 pm

roflmao Horse behavior modification .. har, har! No really, the set up we have here with the butcher is wonderful. And I love that we are able to share with others as well!
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby Ann » Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:30 pm

The only raw food I feed my girl is beef bones, and that is because I know where the beef came from, and know it is fresh. Frosty is in our freezer, and frosty is a good cow :)

I do believe that when I look in the bone, I do not see meat, but fat. I think fat does not spoil like meat, it is the same thing as suet that you leave out for the birds.

As far as the germies - I work in a lab. We freeze bacteria to store it without killing it. Trich is a parasite, and can be killed by freezing, but you have to freeze it for 20 days. I found the centers for disease control website on Trich. in case anyone wants more info.

www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/trichi ... inosis.htm
Ann

Previous

Return to Health Issues