free wild elk meat

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
MyPupsRunning4President

free wild elk meat

Postby MyPupsRunning4President » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:35 pm

a guy from my work just gave me ALOT of free elk meat, bones, organs, etc. the only thing is he said its been sitting out all day till now, they got the elk this morning. the meat was field dressed/cured and that. but he said he didnt know if it would be safe to feed to Roman, probably been out in the sun/air for about 10 hours. would this be safe to feed Roman for his raw diet? what about parasites in wild game? thanks!!!!

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:47 pm

Im not sure if the meat would be good, but what was the temp today??

As for the parasites if you freeze the meat for 3 weeks it should be fine. :thumbsup:

MyPupsRunning4President

Postby MyPupsRunning4President » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:53 pm

today it was probably 90 degrees here or so, its in the freezer now either way, i can throw it frozen if its no good. is pork the same way? freeze it for a while and its ok? i know some people feed it and some dont. or is it not a good idea to feed pork, i ask cuz some friends of the family raise butcher hogs and i can get it all day long for cheap or free!

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:05 pm

MyPupsRunning4President wrote:today it was probably 90 degrees here or so, its in the freezer now either way, i can throw it frozen if its no good. is pork the same way? freeze it for a while and its ok? i know some people feed it and some dont. or is it not a good idea to feed pork, i ask cuz some friends of the family raise butcher hogs and i can get it all day long for cheap or free!

90 degrees for 10 hours?? If your dog has a sensitive stomach it probably wont be good, but you could always try. Freeze it for 3 weeks and it will kill any parasites, then maybe give him a little bit and see what happens?? Usually dogs have strong stomachs and would probably be fine on it, but some dogs would have loose stools. It seems like a waste to throw it out and its probably fine for dogs. After 4 hours its not "fit" for human consumption but im sure it would be ok for dogs. And yes, the freezing would work for pork as well. I get a lot of pork (among other meat) for free from my work, and i freeze it for 3 weeks and feed it to my dog. IF you can get it for free thats exactly whati would do!! :thumbsup:

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:24 am

MyPupsRunning4President wrote:today it was probably 90 degrees here

It sounds kinda rancid to me.... :yucky: but I'm no expert on the raw diet!

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:54 am

the zoo by me will not take any roadkill that has been sitting in the sun for more then an hour, and if they get it within the hour they dress it and put it in the freezer immediately..
i would be hesitant on meat that was cooking in 90 degree heat for 8 hours

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Re: free wild elk meat

Postby IamaDick » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:59 am

MyPupsRunning4President wrote: the meat was field dressed/cured and that.

It was dressed. And for humans it cant be out any longer then 4-6 hours. I would think 10 hours is pushing it but it could still be eatable.

MyPupsRunning4President

Postby MyPupsRunning4President » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:31 pm

thank you. the road kill difference is this meat is cured and road kill is not. roman leaves his meals outside sometimes for a while before he eats them, not 10 hours, but sometimes up to 4or 5 or more before hell eat it. and his raw bones sit out, but he does take the meat off the outside of the bone within a few hours or so too. but with the meat being cured, would it keep for a while longer? thanks again for the info. im still new to raw, so i question everything i think about giving my boy.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:36 pm

MyPupsRunning4President wrote:thank you. the road kill difference is this meat is cured and road kill is not. roman leaves his meals outside sometimes for a while before he eats them, not 10 hours, but sometimes up to 4or 5 or more before hell eat it. and his raw bones sit out, but he does take the meat off the outside of the bone within a few hours or so too. but with the meat being cured, would it keep for a while longer? thanks again for the info. im still new to raw, so i question everything i think about giving my boy.

If its cured it SHOULD stay good longer. But im not sure how much longer. As stated, ten hours seems like a long time and could be bad. But then again it could still be good. My suggestion is to freeze if for the 3 weeks and try a meal with it. It wont kill him, but if it upsets him pretty bad (in other words have the runs for awhile) i probably would throw it out. And when feeding it, you DEFINANTLY cant leave it out for the 4-5 hours that you say he sometimes waits. If he doesnt eat it immediately then it needs to go back into the fridge. Its still questionable but i think it will be ok. If you can mix it with other meats and veggies it would probably be better as well. :thumbsup:

But i would DEFINANTLY use the pork that you were talking about earlier, my dog LOVES pork!!

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:34 pm

It should be fine to feed to your dog, though it probably isn't suitable for human consumption.

Do you guys think that wolves put their kills in the refrigerator or something when there are leftovers? lol

Nope--they'll go back and eat the carcass for days and don't suffer any ill effects from it.

Granted, our dogs are a bit removed from the natural world, but there's no reason to believe that that a healthy dog would be at risk eating elk meat of the sort you described.

aaronchpmn
Adolescent Bully

Postby aaronchpmn » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:27 pm

rgyoung777 wrote:It should be fine to feed to your dog, though it probably isn't suitable for human consumption.

Do you guys think that wolves put their kills in the refrigerator or something when there are leftovers? lol

Nope--they'll go back and eat the carcass for days and don't suffer any ill effects from it.

Granted, our dogs are a bit removed from the natural world, but there's no reason to believe that that a healthy dog would be at risk eating elk meat of the sort you described.

:thumbsup: dont worry about it... if you want to freeze it for a few thats cool but if not you should also be fine

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:36 pm

I guess you'll find out after you try it...lucky dog! Let us know how he handles it!

jestBC
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jestBC » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:46 pm

rgyoung777 wrote:It should be fine to feed to your dog, though it probably isn't suitable for human consumption.

:thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”