STINKY FEET

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby concreterose » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:55 am

Isn't it cool how they have their own special "doggy" smells? I think that's the reason I don't like to bathe my dogs a lot, their own smell makes me feel so peaceful and relaxed (excepted when the Frito's are turned all the way up :tongue: )
concreterose
Regulator

Postby shella677 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:32 am

mnp13 wrote:If your dogs are licking their front feet a lot it could be allergies or yeast. Both will cause irritation and the dog will lick. The constant wet from the licking will encourage more yeast growth...

If you wash your dog's feet, dry them VERY well. Make sure to get way up in between the pads. Keep an eye out for red skin or any swelling, that may be an indication of a problem.

Another great smell - killer is Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution. Just spary it on furniture like you do Fabreeze, it's cheaper, works better and kills the smell instead of covering it.

All that said, I love the way Ruby smells. She has a warm, comforting smell that I almost need to fall asleep now. She doesn't have 'dog smell' (you know, that STINK that stays on your hand after petting some dogs.) However, her farts will kill you.

Michelle

WOW!! I have gotten a lot of great advice on this one.

I think yeast and allergies also plays a part with my Rottie. I have had her to the vet before b/c of her feet, she had some swelling, redness and sores. And she was treated for allergies. She still chews on her feet, but I check regularly, and haven't seen anything recently. Any kind of natural remedies or vitamins I can give her, or maybe benadryl?
She is also being treated for yeast in her left ear at the time, so her ear stinks horribly right now too... ahhh.. the rottie breed gotta love it, always fighting some kind of ailement(sp)

As for Ace the APBT he is always breaking toenails and in result he licks his feet. Recently I've noticed a raw spot in between one of his toes. So I assume it's from licking so much. I've been putting some ointment and bandguard on it. It's been clearing up fine.

From now on I'm going to concentrate on keeping their feet cleaner and drier.
Thank everyone.

Michelle
shella677

Postby mnp13 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:38 am

Benedryl is great for allergies, I don't know much about yeast infections though. You can prevent yeast by keeping the affected area very dry, but that's about the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

Ruby's feet kinda smell like wet basement floor... what a surprise.
mnp13

Postby megan203 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:31 pm

JessaNGizmo wrote: But get candles, do febreez and also get plug ins! All those in the same "scent" if possible also!

One more thing that I pulled off of a cooking forum is to simmer lemon slices and cinnamon sticks (or oranges and cloves) on the stove for a couple of hours. It neuteralizes almost all really bad smells (we use it before parties to get the "dog smell" out of the house that might offend some "non-animal" people).
megan203

Postby JCleve86 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:38 pm

:goodpost:

Good idea!
JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby frenzy2223 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:44 pm

littlefoot wrote:Well my dogs feet smell like well FRITOS! lol

I couldn't agree with you more!!! They smell like Fritos, but they taste like hotdogs!...lol :headbang:
frenzy2223

Postby blover27 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:47 pm

frenzy2223 wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more!!! :clap

i'm glad i am home alone and nobody is watching me sniff all 4 of my dogs paws..bunch a weirdos you all are roflmao

they do smell a little like fritos :oops:
blover27

Postby DamnWRX » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:34 am

Frito's w/ chilli cheese and a touch of vinegar! umm yum. 8l
DamnWRX
Adolescent Bully

Postby DamnWRX » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:44 am

Hey, come on....... :shakeit:

If you can't beat'em, Join'em.. :)
DamnWRX
Adolescent Bully

Postby nessa » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:48 am

If there is yeast involved, theres a pH spray that you can spray on their feet that will help with that. I'll look at the brand when I get home.
Hoover has skin problems and this spray really helps!
nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby DamnWRX » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:18 pm

Last edited by DamnWRX on Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DamnWRX
Adolescent Bully

Postby Hooligan » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:44 pm

I am so glad I am not the only one who thinks that....I can not eat corn chips without thinking of dog feet!!!
Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:45 pm

I am so glad I am not the only one who thinks that....I can not eat corn chips without thinking of dog feet!!!
Hooligan

Postby Ann » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:28 pm

This topic is too funny! lol I thought I was the only one that loved the smell of puppy dog feet - I always thought they smelled like popcorn!!! She had an infection in her dew claw once, and with me being a puppy dog paw sniffer, I noticed it quickly.

In our case it smelled kind of like old garbage. If it is yeast it should smell like yeast, if it smells like grapes it is pseudomonas. (I'm into microbiology - some bacteria just have a certain smell.)

My dogs feet smell a heck of a lot better than some people I know, and I am not a people sniffer!
Ann

Postby DamnWRX » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:34 am

Hey, where's all the StinkY FEET go. After reading all this, went home started playing around with my pup the next thing you know i'm smelling his feet, thanks to you guys but, luckily my puppy's feet don't stink. :yay: No Fritos there! :yipee:
DamnWRX
Adolescent Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues