Help - Zeus is hurt

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Help - Zeus is hurt

Postby Hondovious » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:25 pm

Zeus had been out back tonight for a while playing with the neighbor's dog. When I went to let him in I saw a lot on spots of blood on the steps in front of the door. He cut some of the webbing between his toes on his rear foot. It is between the outside toe and next one in. He is walking fine and has not made a sound when I look at it, he just licks it a bit after I look. I will call a vet tomorrow to see if he needs stitches or anything but wanted to know if there is anything I can do for the night? I thought about bandaging it up but he would just eat it off tonight since I can't find my satellite dish collar. It has stopped bleeding. It had stopped bleeding when he came in but after he licked it there was a little more. Should I use any Bactine or peroxide or Neosporin?
Hondovious

Postby X-girl » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:29 pm

Poor Zeus! And you!!
I'm no expert but I do not think it would hurt at all to use a bit of peroxide to clean it.

From PetPlace.com:
Hydrogen Peroxide

Hydrogen peroxide should be in every dog's medicine cabinet. Although most commonly thought of as a way to clean a wound, another important use is to induce vomiting when your dog has ingested toxins, foreign objects, drugs or spoiled food. However, check with your veterinarian first because there are times when it is best not to induce vomiting. Dogs won't drink peroxide willingly so buy an oral dose syringe or keep a turkey baster on hand to help administer the liquid. Also check the expiration date; expired peroxide is not as effective.

I hope Zeus is OK. It's good that the bleeding stopped, I think everything will be fine - just make sure nothing is lodged in the skin.
X-girl
Regulator

Postby turtle » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:47 pm

Better to wash it well with soap & water and not use the peroxide.

Hydrogen peroxide actually damages the flesh and makes it harder for it to heal. The Neosporin or Polysporin would be much better to put on it. He'll probably be fine, it does not sound like a bad cut.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Hondovious » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:07 am

I looked a little closer again and he got it pretty good. It is cut almost all the way to where the toes meet. I will disinfect it with some neosporin and see what the vet says tomorrow. If it weren't for the blood I would never have known it happened. No limp, no whimpering.. He would be perfectly willing to go for a mile run right now. Tough, stupid dog lol
Hondovious

Postby barbponys » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:23 pm

Gotta love our Bully's, nothing phazes them.
barbponys
Health Guru

Return to Health Issues