first heat cycle

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

first heat cycle

Postby BabyReba » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:38 pm

At what age does a pup usually go into her first heat? Sky's spay surgery is scheduled for the 14th, but her foster mom keeps telling me that if there's any way to get it done sooner, she thinks Sky is ready to go any day now. Yikes. When I saw her a few days ago, I couldn't see anything particularly telling, but then again, most dogs I deal with get pediatric spays at 8 to 12 weeks or come out of the shelters pretty, um, seasoned.

She's only about 5 months old . . . I thought that typically pups didn't go till about 9 months, but hey what do I know!

Any thoughts here?
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby mnp13 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:29 pm

Ruby's sister had her first at 6 months. Ruby didn't have one until 17 months (the heat that nearly killed her).

If I remember correctly, Ruby had some swelling before her heat started and she was extra bitchy.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby mnp13 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:39 pm

I don't think they will spay a dog that is in heat. Before yes, after yes, if pregnant yes... but I've never heard of during.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby BabyReba » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:02 pm

well she's not IN heat, and we definitely don't want her to go into heat if we can help it, but the foster mom seems to think she's about to go. which would suck. but i can't get her an appointment any earlier than she has . . . damn it, i hope she holds out. i actually thought she was still too young to go into heat, since she's not 6 months yet. but i guess she could be gearing up.

please keep your fingers crossed that she holds out till we get her in for her spay on the 14th. :pray
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby concreterose » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:35 pm

Vicki went into her first heat when she was 9 months. Her vagina swelled up really big before she started, and she was always licking down there. She also had a clear discharge. All my dogs swelled up and began licking a a lot before they came in season for the first time.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby Leslie H » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:04 pm

Unless this is a really tiny, or very atypical dog, 5 months would be very unusual. Mosstly I see them between 8-11 months. Xanny's my earliest, at 7 months. I think your friend may be panicking needlessly. Why does she think she's coming into heat soon?
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby BabyReba » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:06 pm

she's the foster mom, and she told me that she thinks sky's vulva is looking enlarged. but like i said, i was there a few days ago and she looked pretty normal to me . . .
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby Erika » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:26 pm

Tyranny came into her heat on her 1yr b-day exactly. And six months has come and gone with no heat. I think she is a once-a-year type of girl.
Erika
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby SKoth » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:25 pm

I agree with the others, it's most likely that they go into heat between 7-14mo. You can spay a dog during a heat cycle but most vets prefer not to do it. When she is in heat there is increased blood flow to the uterus. This makes the surgery much more difficult and dangerous not to mention stressful on her. I was fostering for another rescue once and they insisted that my dog be spayed during her heat. I deeply regret doing it because it was very very hard on her both physically and mentally. If she were to go into heat it would likely last 3weeks of which only a few days she will be receptive. If I were you and she were to go into heat before her apt. I would wait until she's finished to spay her. JMO
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby pocketpit » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:06 am

:goodpost: I was going to say the same thing.
pocketpit

Postby rosanneandkaya » Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:31 pm

hi there, my pup sasha is in heat now, she's 7 months, she has dropped alot and her vulva is huge, she is also bleeding an awfull lot(we kind of got a bit worried) we've had another bitch(kaya) sadly we had 2 put her 2 sleep,(just april gone) but kaya did'nt bleed near as much as sasha is, probebly because kaya was alway's in bad health, she was a stray staffie. Would you not let your bitch have at least 1litter, as it's good 2 let her have the 1(they get moody and all sort's, if not) i'm letting my bitch have at least 1, when she's at least 2yrs, giving her body time 2 grow!
there are pic's and other post's about KAYA in d memoriol section-n- other section's.
bye 4 now, good luck
Rosanne+Steve
rosanneandkaya
Newborn Bully

Postby BabyReba » Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:33 pm

well, i had sky out yesterday and she had a pre-spay vet appointment. i think her foster ma is misinterpreting . . . she is not swollen at all, and i see nothing that tells me she's getting ready to go. neither did the vet.

big relief. spay will happen on schedule on tuesday. i can't wait till it's over with!

edited to add: no i would never allow one of my dogs to have even one litter. the whole thing about them being grumpy if they don't have one is, to my knowledge, an old wives' tale. besides, these are rescue dogs . . . if people would stop having to have litters, i wouldn't have so many to worry about.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby Leslie H » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:25 pm

That's completely false about grumpiness if females don't get bred. In fact, many females have increased dog aggression when pregnant. Man, you must not have been pregnant ever yourself. Nothing like hormonal fluctuations to get those moods swinging. I've known many females who have gone unbred w/out having temperament issues. Many intact females are moody around their heat cycles. Spay your female, unless she has passed all the needed tests to determine if she is of breeding quality (hips/elbows/patellas/thyroid/cardiac, as well as determine if she's conformationally and temperamentally sound.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby SKoth » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:30 pm

Please please please please please don't breed your dog! You have been on this board long enough to know better!
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Return to Health Issues