food and health issue ...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
axeed

food and health issue ...

Postby axeed » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:56 am

i hate people ... a guy yesterday saw my puppy .. and he was like .. no way ... this is not a real pitbull .. his head is small ..... and stuff like that ......

i was like whatever man ... i know that he is .... but it doesnt really matter .. he is great :) ..... he is a bit small .... i think because his mother didnt eat well .... i think they are giving her only bread and bones ... thats not good enough for her or the puppies .... .. but he is doing good .... i bought some good food .. and boiled some vegetables ..... ! any suggestions about food for 2 months old puppy ......

here is a picture of him !

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:45 am

He's adorabulll :)) !! I just have one suggestion, try steaming the veggies instead of boiling. They'll retain more nutrients that way. And puree them in a blender or something so your dog can digest them. Good luck with him!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:15 am

did you buy this puppy from this idiot?
waht do you consider good food(taht you already bought?)

axeed

Postby axeed » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:23 am

no i dint buy it . certenly not from him ..... a friend of mine gave him to me ... !

and i bought some puppy food ... its probably better from what him and his mother were eating !

thatnks for the advice about the vegies ;)

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:01 pm

I would but the best quality kibble I could afford.
I would also get some good dog vitamines to give daily for this puppy.
I woudl steam chciken, digferent meast and feed that along with the steamed, smushed vegetables. You can either add that to the kibble or, feed kibble one meal and the meat/veggies another meal.
I feed can mackeral, anchovies or sardines packed in water or tomatoe sauce which I rinse off the t.s if I can't get the sardines in water.,
anyway I feed the fish 2-3 times per week
I would also get the puppy some Grizzly Salmon Oil for Omega 3 and 6 to feed daily.
A couple times a week, I also feed either a raw egg and smash up the shell in tiny pieces with a fork for the dogs to eat(extra calcium in the shell) or I feed a poached egg to each dog instead of a raw one.
I also give my dogs bannas, water mellon, apples (no seeds), cantaloupe, strawberries, try out different fruits, again you might want to smash them up a little and add to the food.
NO grapes or no raisens though.
He is really cute btw.

axeed

Postby axeed » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:48 pm

thank you very much ... i really appreciate the advice .. !!

the other dog i have is 13 months old .... she grew up mostly on dog food from the store ... she is great .. body, muscles, hair .. a bit fatty but beautiful ;) .. but i didnt know much then .... and this time i want to do it right .... ! im not saying i love puppy more than my first bully .. she is first love after all :) i just want him to grew up nice !

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:56 pm

What food are you feeding, exactly?

I wouldn't bother cooking the veggies, but puree them into a glop with some puppy vitamins from your vet, and add it to his kibble. If he's skinny and has a bad coat, a tablespoon of olive oil in his food would help.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:57 pm

darn I forgot a few itmes
Everydya, I give my dogs a glop pf plain, unsweeteeeeeened, unflavored yogurt, jsut add abut a tablesppon or two in their kibble, it cuts down on gas and hleps with the good bacteria needed to aid in digesting their food.
I also will add 4% whole milk cottage chees, or ricottat chees abut once a week, jsut add a couple tablespoons to the kibble again.
I add warm water the the kibble every feeding, then add in the extras, give ti a god stir and they lvoe it that way.
The warm water seems to make it more palatable, who wants to eat dry crunchy crap their entire lives, not me. Hence the warm water and all the extras.

axeed

Postby axeed » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:53 pm

well i got the PURINA friskies puppy food, sardines, got some vitamines, eggs, vegetables .. we are set and ready to go ;)

thatnks everybody for the help .. i`ll keep you posted about the progres :)

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:26 pm

ax, what color is he, can;t tell if it is black or a dark brindle maybe??
next time you get to a store, you an get some of the fish oil caps for people, for the lil dude .
Yo jsut stick a small slit into a cap and squeeze it into his food. It will give him the extra Omega vitamins he needs, plus give him a great shiney coat too.
oh and what is his name?
weekly pics woudl be great so we can see how he progresses under your care.
I wish that that poor bitch and all her pups could get a good home, feeding a dog braed and bones, that as@ should be ashamend of himself for doing that to these poor dogs!

axeed

Postby axeed » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:00 pm

he is black ! and i think his name will be rocky :) ..... today i saw my friends puppy .. who is brother of my first dog (she is 13 months old) ... he is one week older and twice as big than my new puppy ! poor guy probably didnt have much to eat .. his hair is a bit longer than a regular pit .... he also has worms (i think thats the right term!), i gave him a pill, and he got most of them out this morning and afternoon, so he should be better now ... i expect him to grow preety much in the next few weeks :)

one more question ! you said that i should give him sardines in water? i can get those sardines in oil from the store .. is that ok ?!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:12 pm

yes, you can give him the sardines in oil, but make sure you don;t dump the oil in and you might want to rinse the oil off the sardines with some water or a paper towel. The oil might give him the squirts, especially since he isn;t used to eating decent food and was just wormed.
Make sure you add a glop of plain yogurt to his food daily to help him wiht the good bacteria in his gut.
He will probably start sprouting on you soon, once he is worm free and getting a regular diet that is nutritious to him, poor lil dude.
What about vaccinations????
Since he wasn;t taken very good care of, I bet his immune systme is not very good at this point and it is easy for him to get parvo , distemper etc.
Rocky, glad you got a home boy!
:thumbsup:

axeed

Postby axeed » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:58 pm

vaccination in a few days ;) i already made arrangements with the vet !

P.S. right now he is trying to "kill" my backpack ;) :D

PineysMom
Forum Junky

Postby PineysMom » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:08 pm

If you can find a better-quality food near you, that would be a good start.

You also might want to invest in an immune booster like this one:

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/ ... 52003.aspx

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:16 pm

take some pics and psot them in gallery??? :)

Return to “Health Issues”