OK, This is WEIRD! Help?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

OK, This is WEIRD! Help?

Postby Diane Jessup » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:41 pm

My coworker and pulling buddy has a black, 31 pound pit female we rescued from the shelter. History: she and her probable brother were dump4ed in the night drop box. About 9 months at that time. Both under 35 pounds, VERY untypical for this area. Both look VERY "gamebred". This female "Little" is now about 14 or 15 months, 31 pounds, and has been fine. I suspect strongly these dogs came from out of the area.

About 2 weeks ago Little developed a fever. She went 106. She puked a bit. Since that time she has been in and out of the vet about everyday. She is thin as a rail. (She has lost 6 pounds). Her fever goes up and down, but never below 102.8 or so. It is down around 102.7 now. She has been x-rayed, ultrasounded, everything. She is spayed. I suspected a stump pyrometra, but it wasn't that. She did have a really enlarged lymph node in abdomen. She was opened up and they biopsed it. Nothing. Her white blood count has gone from 22,000 to 42,000 to now over 100,000!!! Yet she is now eating, seeming to be "holding".

I'm stumped. The vet is talking something about this disease down south among fighting dogs (pits). This is all new to me. I know some areas of the country have weird diseases like Valley Fever, ect, that we are not up on . Has anyone heard anything about a disease specific to pit bulls??? Sounds kinda weird. My vet got it off VIN (vet info network) but that doesn't really mean anything.
Pocketpit? Anyone? Poor Leu has sunk over $1000 in this, dog not getting better, she's lost all conditioning she had in place for this years weight pulling (not that that really matters, but when you work as hard as she does, it is a bummer!).

Any ideas will be appreciated guys.
Diane Jessup

babesia?

Postby Diane Jessup » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:39 pm

Now they think it is babesia? Here is a link. Interesting.
http://www.jaaha.org/cgi/reprint/39/6/551.pdf

Test results come back tomorrow.
Diane Jessup

Postby concreterose » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:58 pm

When I first read your post, I was thinking did they do a bone marrow aspirate to check for leukemia. The white blood cell count skyrocketing that quickly raised a red flag for me. The same thing thing happened to my dog, without the weight loss, fever and sickness, and she was diagnosed with non-clinical leukemia.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby SKoth » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:19 pm

Diane,
Do you know anything about her kidney and liver values?
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby pocketpit » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:12 am

I'm assuming since they now suspect this that they've sent a tick panel off to the labs? I believe it takes up to a week to get those results back depending on where they send it. Keep us updated!
I too would be curious to see bloodwork results, etc.
pocketpit

Return to Health Issues