Tyrosine makes pitbulls mean? Scientific?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
INOCNTKITN187
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby INOCNTKITN187 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:54 pm

Okay first article says

"Two new alphaA-crystallin gene mutations were identified, alphaA-R54C (alphaA-Cys) and alphaA-Y118D, which cause recessive whole cataracts and dominant nuclear cataracts, respectively"

The bolded mutation is a tyrosine residue.

Second article is difficult to understand but adresses L-tyrosine directly.

"L-tyrosine contributes to (+)-3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine-induced serotonin depletions"

So now, does serotonin depletion contribute to aggressive behavior? I don't know, I'll need to look that up too.

Okay in the third article we are looking at "The effects of dilept (N-caproyl-L-prolyl-L-tyrosine methyl ester) - a new peptidomimetic of neurotensine - on the level of monoamines and their main metabolites in four functionally important brain structures"

Here's what they found:
"Repeated administration of dilept favors the accumulation of DOPAC and accelerates the dopamine (DA) turnover"
"The opposite effect (decrease in the DOPAC/DA ratio) was observed in the hypothalamus, where the subchronic treatment with dilept completely inhibited the activating action of ketamine on the DA turnover"

This is what I've found so far, still no documentation of aggression being linked to L-tyrosine.

Swan
Bully Ambassador
Location: In my own world but havent figured out what to call it...

Postby Swan » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:08 pm

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:39 pm

chako wrote:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=560699&dopt=Abstract

I did see that but assumed there would be something on dogs too. It is quite possible that they are basing this on mice studies.

I want to know #1How they test levels of l-tyrosine (post-mortem, blood tests, etc..) and #2 How they chose their test subjects.

INOCNTKITN187:

can you get JAVMA abstracts? Maybe there is something on there. How about any British Vet. journals since this was cited in the Economist...

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:47 pm

I have never complained about a thread being moved, but I don't see this as a health issue, more of a BSL issue IMHO.

INOCNTKITN187
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby INOCNTKITN187 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:46 pm

I will check for JAVMA articles.

P.S. what's "the Economist"?

INOCNTKITN187
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby INOCNTKITN187 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:18 pm

Okay I found the AVMA site and just searched on there.

Here's an experiment with cats and tyrosine:
http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/ajvr.2004.65.671?prevSearch=allfield%3A%28tyrosine%29
- the conclusion:
In cats, the long-term nutritional requirement for phenylalanine and tyrosine appears to be greater for normal neurologic function than that required in short-term growth experiments. Official present-day recommendations for dietary phenylalanine and tyrosine in cats may be insufficient to support normal long-term neurologic function

here's one with dogs but I don't think it applies:
http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/ajvr.67.4.633?prevSearch=allfield%3A%28tyrosine%29

That's all I can really find.

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:57 pm

The Economist is a British political magazine.

I keep finding references to this article and they keep saying, "years ago the science editor of the Economist"...they never mention the person's name. In one of the links that I already posted the poster who is pasting the research cited said that they couldn't find the original study either.

that second link looks like cancer research.

Return to “Health Issues”