Biking with your dog

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Biking with your dog

Postby megan203 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:16 pm

Just for curiousity's sake, how far is too far to bike with your dog? When I go for bike rides, I tend to go far (12 miles is a very short ride) and while I haven't been blessed with a pittie (hopefully, I'll be able to rescue one within the next 3 years :pray ), I like the idea of biking with one. I'm guessing that a dog wouldn't be able to go nearly as far as I would alone.
megan203

Postby jmann4 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:21 pm

You can go as far as your dogs condition allows you to go. Start out with short distances and work up to longer distances. Bring mucho water, a towel, and check your dogs feet, a lot.

When the dogs tongue is really large, sticking out, and the end is rolling up, time to stop because the dog is tired.

Common sense plays a large role, don't over do it, and don't expect to much out of your dog. Slow and easy. Eventually I have no doubt the dog could trot 12 miles.
jmann4

Postby Vitaliy » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:26 pm

I do not think that you can give a time or distance limit on any dog out there, every individual dog is different. So I would suggest to take your dog along and see how much the dog is capable of, and perhaps with time add a little more distance. Obviously do not expect the dog to run for a few miles straight...
Vitaliy

Postby concreterose » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:54 pm

Here's a really helpful link on biking with dogs. The owner of the site has dobe's, but I think it's applicable for bulldogs too.

Biking Tips
concreterose
Regulator

Postby DamnWRX » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:52 pm

Here's a word from Raebo: Cut & paste

Also be very careful in hot weather. Dogs can overheat more easily than we do. Also, even if your dog is getting too tired to run, they will still try to keep up so they won't let you down. Always remember that it is you that has to protect their interests.

If you are running on pavement, concrete or rough surfaces, keep an eye on their paws.

I found this link that gives some info:

http://www.thepetprofessor.com/secArtic ... h_dogs.asp
DamnWRX
Adolescent Bully

Return to Health Issues