Too skinny?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
concreterose
Moderator
Posts: 11574
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:29 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Too skinny?

Postby concreterose » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:50 pm

Tonight at training, my trainer said Vicki looked 'bony'. Should I put a couple pounds on her? She eats a pound of food per day, plus treats and stuff...I don't skimp on her meals. It's hard to keep weight on this girl.
Excuse the way she's standing...she did NOT want to take this pic lol
Image
Image

I know I look at her everyday and am used to seeing her...she looks fine to me, but if she needs to gain some weight, I am willing to feed her more.

User avatar
BabyReba
Moderator
Posts: 11589
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:21 pm
Location: Winter Park, Florida
Contact:

Postby BabyReba » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:57 pm

how old is she?

it's hard to tell with her because she's such a glossy black it's tough to make out where her muscle definition is!

she doesn't look bony to me, but she does look (from that picture) like she could stand to put on more muscle mass maybe . . . but she kinda looks like she's built to be a lean-framed dog!

User avatar
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10498
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Iowa City, IA

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:07 pm

Her spine does seem to stick out a bit. Its so hard to tell what is too lean and what isn't, because a lean dog can lose very little weight and look much leaner.

Can you feel her spine easily when you pet her? If so, then she's probably too skinny. Seeing ribs is ok, but spine is not. There should be enough muscle mass and fat to cover the spinous processes.

User avatar
SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 7291
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:51 pm
Location: www.collarmania.com

Postby SFBullyGirl » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:19 pm

she has those long supermodel legs and that along with a bit of rib showing may make people think she is too thin, she does look thin but not overly thin. How much does she weigh ?

User avatar
Sariss
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2816
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:53 pm
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Contact:

Postby Sariss » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:35 pm

It's sort of like Honey. She's such an active dog and she's insanely lean.

User avatar
concreterose
Moderator
Posts: 11574
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:29 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Postby concreterose » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:44 pm

BabyReba wrote:how old is she?

it's hard to tell with her because she's such a glossy black it's tough to make out where her muscle definition is!

she doesn't look bony to me, but she does look (from that picture) like she could stand to put on more muscle mass maybe . . . but she kinda looks like she's built to be a lean-framed dog!


She's 39 pounds. She has lost two pounds since the beginning of the summer, probably because we went running more with me being off work. It is hard to see how she really looks in pics because of her color. She has muscle definition, but her muscle is long and lean vs. bunchy.
Misskiwi67 wrote:Her spine does seem to stick out a bit. Its so hard to tell what is too lean and what isn't, because a lean dog can lose very little weight and look much leaner.

Can you feel her spine easily when you pet her? If so, then she's probably too skinny. Seeing ribs is ok, but spine is not. There should be enough muscle mass and fat to cover the spinous processes.

I can feel her spine when I pet her, but it doesn't 'stick out'. I can feel Solomon's spine too though, and I know he isn't underweight. It does seem that the two pounds has made a large difference though!

Maybe I'll just up her food a bit until the winter months come and she's not active.

User avatar
Leslie H
Moderator
Posts: 8937
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:06 pm

Postby Leslie H » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:53 pm

I know I'm the queen of the skinny dogs, but I think she looks great. I don't mind a little spine showing, I don't like to see hip.
Beautiful girl. If you're running, I don't see why you'd want more mass on her to pound around.
PS, how does your trainer's dog loook to you.

User avatar
SKoth
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2916
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:47 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Postby SKoth » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:01 pm

Maybe putting those two pounds back on would help. I don't think she looks underweight.

User avatar
concreterose
Moderator
Posts: 11574
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:29 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Postby concreterose » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:27 pm

Leslie H wrote:I know I'm the queen of the skinny dogs, but I think she looks great. I don't mind a little spine showing, I don't like to see hip.
Beautiful girl. If you're running, I don't see why you'd want more mass on her to pound around.
PS, how does your trainer's dog loook to you.


Good question Leslie lol
She has 'fluffy' dogs...a golden and a sheltie...they run agility, so they're pretty lean, but you can't see any muscle.
Also, you are right about her running lean. I notice a big difference when I run her vs. Solomon. Running with V is a dream, she just floats along. Solomon has bulkier muscles, gets tired faster, and runs slower. He tires me out just looking at him lol

EagleEye

Postby EagleEye » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:33 pm

She looks beautifully trim to me, but I prefer lean/atheletic looking dogs. She'll probably need a bit more to eat and body fat on her as the weather cools down. If her coat keeps its gloss and her energy is fine, I wouldn't worry until winter's here.

TessieLou

Postby TessieLou » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:43 pm

I think she looks great! Here are 2 pics of Rex when I was conditioning him with the 2nd pic being the desired result.

Image
Image

User avatar
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10498
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Iowa City, IA

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:03 pm

concreterose wrote:I can feel her spine when I pet her, but it doesn't 'stick out'. I can feel Solomon's spine too though, and I know he isn't underweight. It does seem that the two pounds has made a large difference though!

Maybe I'll just up her food a bit until the winter months come and she's not active.


Sounds good to me!

Most people just aren't used to seeing lean, well managed, fit dogs...

User avatar
Linariel
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 6461
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:23 pm
Location: Grand Blanc, MI

Postby Linariel » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:07 pm

Rose, she looks like Aja on a 'fat' day...I wouldn't worry too much, as long as all the basic medical stuff checks out okay-thyroid and fecal.

User avatar
Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 5622
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 9:59 pm
Location: Can't feed 'em? Dont Breed 'em!

Postby Bustersmama » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:11 pm

I will be out numbered here - but I think she looks skinny. Her coat is absolutely amazing though - and may be playing tricks on my brain. Maybe its the two pounds she lost, cause I have never thought she was "too skinny" before.

Again, her coat looks amazing!

User avatar
sol
Super Bully
Posts: 661
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, CA

Postby sol » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:00 am

I'll tip in and say she looks a little thin to me too. She is very long limbed though, that combined with her large head gives her a leaner look than a comparitively skinny short small headed dog.

Two extra pounds couldn't hurt....I'd get her to gain it back if she were mine.


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests