How important is this to you? (mostly for the raw people)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Sariss
Bully Ambassador

How important is this to you? (mostly for the raw people)

Postby Sariss » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:02 pm

I was just curious as to how important it is to everyone that their dogs diet is 100% nutritionally complete?
My one professor mentioned being able to (for a fee), being able to send your diets off to get tested to see how complete they are, and if they are lacking in certain things. Would you ever do this, just to see?

I will try to find out where, and who to send it to next week.

Vitaliy

Postby Vitaliy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:08 pm

I would be interested in testing my dogs diet just to see if he is getting everything that he is suppose to.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:43 pm

probably not. I'm sure that it would come back with a list of things that are missing and supplementation I would need to give just because that's the nature of the beast. I trust my homeopathic and holistic health professionals, my knowledge and my dog's physical wellness to be my judges

Anyways, for me, someone would have to look at a couple of months (at least) of data because of my commitment to variety of meats and cuts over time and because I don't measure out a daily food portion. Some days she eats big, other days not so big.

And what is 100% nutritionally complete?

Sariss
Bully Ambassador

Postby Sariss » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:46 pm

I'll try to find a good site with the definition later, but it basically means having the proper vitamins, nutrients, etc etc in proper amounts. It would also have stuff like the calcium phosphorus ratios.

From what I heard they dont reccomend anything. They use compare your diet with the range that is considered complete, then send it to you.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:25 pm

I would rather spend my money having someone make me up a raw diet program then sending off my current one. Especially since i only feed half raw, and its pretty much whatever i feel like giving him at the time. he gets mostly muscle meats and few organ meats. But thats why i like half raw half kibble, i dont have to worry about it as much. Especially since i very rarely feed any bones.

RescueRules

Postby RescueRules » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:59 pm

My vet offers this service as part of the yearly checkup for raw feeders. He has an animal nutritionist on staff.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:06 pm

Honestly, I'd be more curious about my own diet, as I've put more work into figuring out my dog's diets than my own lol

Do you know how they account for the rotation or variety of foods many people give their dogs?

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:19 pm

Vicki's nutritionist breaks down her diet for me.
I would like to know how balanced her diet is,since she eats raw, if I didn't have her, though.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:43 pm

my dogs don't get full raw diets anymore because tucker's allergic to chicken and reba is losing her bowel motility so they both have special dietary needs that're easier to fulfill using 50/50 raw to kibble.

but if i were gonna be doing raw again, i'd love to have a serious reference to use to feed them properly . . . when i fed reba and tucker straight raw, i would just wing it and feed them as much stuff as possible to make sure they got a bit of everything!

Sariss
Bully Ambassador

Postby Sariss » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:19 pm

pitgrrl wrote:Honestly, I'd be more curious about my own diet, as I've put more work into figuring out my dog's diets than my own lol

Do you know how they account for the rotation or variety of foods many people give their dogs?

That, I'm not 100% sure of. Maybe if you use the same recipe each time?

I'm tempted to get my dogs diets sent off. It's a premade raw mixture that's made by a nutritionalist and claims to be 100% balanced, so I'm not sure if I need to.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:56 pm

Sariss wrote:I'll try to find a good site with the definition later, but it basically means having the proper vitamins, nutrients, etc etc in proper amounts. It would also have stuff like the calcium phosphorus ratios.

It just seems so crazy to me that folks obsess about every little meal being "complete" for dog because I don't eat so each meal, oe even each day is "complete" - I eat a pretty varied diet so it evens out over time.

I figure as a Raw feeder if I meet my goal of striving for variety over time then I'm doing good - now If I was feeding farm-lot chicken quarters every day then that's not optimal at all but I've got at least 5 different kinds of meat and "stuff" in my freezer right now.

The only thing I won't do is head on, fur on rabbits - that freaks me out. Anything else is fair game.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:56 pm

I think the "nutritionally complete" idea is faulty. Who's determining what makes it complete? What's it based on? If it's based on any kind of dry food, it's way off base from the start. It would take a lot of different tests to find out if what I feed is "nutritionally complete". I feed such a variety of meats and in no certain order or amount that a "recipe" is impossible. I go by how healthy my animals are. My pug just turned 9, he's on corticosteroids daily. His blood work came back even across the board. My vet was shocked. He rarely sees normal blood work in a pug of 4 let alone one that is a senior and on a nasty nasty drug, and has been for a couple of years now.

The only raw foods that could be tested with any accuracy would be the commercially processed ones. Theoretically any way.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:58 pm

Pat,
What do you mean by 'tested'?
It is possible to find out the nutritional info of raw meat (calories, fat content, mineral and amino acid info, etc.)
BTW, it's good to see you around the board!

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:05 pm

I'd be interested if there wasn't a cost. 'Course I'm not a BARFer right now either.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:15 pm

I do think it would be difficult to impossible to do this type of test on the way I (and it sounds like Pat) feed because everything/every day is a little different.

When I look at my feeding schedule, I have such variety and size difference that you'd have to wieght and analyze every little thing. Also, I may fed heavy in one thing for one week and then not have any for a month.

To make matters worse, I often give Franny first shot at a big, clumsy pice of food to make it easier for Hank to work at since he's just a baby. So you'd have to wiegh it before and then after and look at what parts of the animal she ate.

Here's an example of Fran/Hank week:

Monday: lamb deckle (Hank doesn't finish his - Franny eats it)
Tuesday: worked on whole chicken (then Hank got to work on it)
Wednesday: hunk of beef heart each
Thursday: continued on chicken
Friday: finished off chicken, pork trim
Saturday: Green Tripe
Sunday: can of salmon, lamb kindey and liver

Me: hmmm, last week was pretty heavy on chicken, I've got those pork shanks and some fish in the freezer - let's use those. Wonder what's in that baggie? Lamb Lungs? why not? oh, Les snatched some of that sample ground beef for free. Better add something boneier and complicated to it though, I've got those Phesant legs in there...

Return to “Health Issues”