How important is this to you? (mostly for the raw people)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
EagleEye

Postby EagleEye » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:01 pm

I thought "nutritionally complete" was basically was AAFCO said would keep most dogs alive and functioning. In other words, it's just the basic level of nutrition for an average dog, not adjusted for age, activity level, health conditions, or optimal health. The label gives consumers a feeling of well-being and implies that a food is OK for feeding exclusively w/o additional supplementation.

So, is the test for completeness along AAFCO standards? If so, it still might not indicate that what you're feeding is indeed optimal for your individual dog.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:03 pm

My question is how do they know how active your dog is?? And what kindof metabolism they have. What kindof weight?? Im just wondering if they do it across the board for every dog or if they actually have some sort of survey or soemthing that you fill out?? I know that my dog would probably need different amounts then your dog, or the guy across the streeet, etc. Sounds like another way for somebody to make a buck, but thats just my opinion.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:27 pm

What the testing would determine is if there are any key nutrients you're missing out on. Maybe your diet could use a boost in vitamin A, or maybe your calcium:phosphorus ratio is off...

You're feeding the diet to make sure its BETTER than what is commercially available. Why not cover your @ss and find out, provided the fee is reasonable?

I think everyone should mix up a batch of their food and have it sent off once a year or so. It certainly doesn't hurt.

The only time I think it would be required would be if puppies were being fed raw. Their needs are much more specialized, and the consequences are much more severe if you're missing something.

Sariss
Bully Ambassador

Postby Sariss » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:34 pm

I'm going to try and find out more about it. :peace:

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:50 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:What the testing would determine is if there are any key nutrients you're missing out on. Maybe your diet could use a boost in vitamin A, or maybe your calcium:phosphorus ratio is off...

You're feeding the diet to make sure its BETTER than what is commercially available. Why not cover your @ss and find out, provided the fee is reasonable?

I think everyone should mix up a batch of their food and have it sent off once a year or so. It certainly doesn't hurt.

The only time I think it would be required would be if puppies were being fed raw. Their needs are much more specialized, and the consequences are much more severe if you're missing something.

I understand that, but, with a varied diet you would have to test each permutation to see what's lacking. And to make it even worse, what's your meat source? That would change the out come on ever test depending on what the animal is fed at what stage in it's life.

Millicent, I meant that commercially prepared raw foods have strict forumulas, they would test with in a certain percentage each time. Of course, the supplier may not use the same meat source for each batch, so again, the numbers could be off if they tested randomly.

I've fostered and raised puppies. On raw. One is 2 1/2 and the other is 15 months or so. No health issues, 100% sound and healthy. Some of the foster pups I don't have contact with but, they certainly had out grown their litter mates when I returned them. :dunno:

Motodiva
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Motodiva » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:56 pm

OMG! Pat!!!! It sure is nice to see you here!!!! Hope all is well. (Sorry, off topic)

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:30 pm

Welcome back. You were on my most missed posters list.
I'm lazy, and only feeding 2 dogs (and have a tiny freezer), so the premixed route makes me feel safe. My homeopath/vet recommended the brands I use.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:05 pm

Hey Leslie, Moto. Thanks....... :oops: When did you move to Camano Moto! We're like 20 minutes apart! Dang.

At least you are feeding a better food and giving the dogs the best raw you are up to dealing with. It's better than nothing!!

Sariss
Bully Ambassador

Postby Sariss » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:09 pm

I wish you lived closer to me barbponys. You could be a guest speaker and go talk some sense into my nutrition teacher.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:41 pm

HAHAHAHAHA! I've gone toe to toe with more than one vet. They don't take it very well when a peon argues with them.

Sariss
Bully Ambassador

Postby Sariss » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:50 pm

Ahh, she's not even a vet.

pittiepride

Postby pittiepride » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:54 pm

I wouldn't really bother either. Like it's been said, my diet for my dogs changes daily/seasonally. I feed what I have, the veggies that are in season. They may get more of something one week and less another. I would however like to see a 'model' of a complete raw diet in a few varieties to use as a baseline. FOr example a chicken and bone diet or a beef diet, the proportions of ingredients and such.
kara

aaronchpmn
Adolescent Bully

Postby aaronchpmn » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:14 pm

i personally wouldnt send it in either for the same reasons as above, but i'm curious to know who decides whether its completely balanced or not, and why these "experts" havent stepped forward and reorganized the ingredients on most commercial foods out there.....

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:30 pm

Sariss wrote:Ahh, she's not even a vet.

Never claimed to be one.

Sariss
Bully Ambassador

Postby Sariss » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:42 pm

barbponys wrote:
Sariss wrote:Ahh, she's not even a vet.

Never claimed to be one.

I mean my nutrition teacher. :) She's just a vet tech, who worked as a rep for Medi Cal.

Return to “Health Issues”