Low-Residue Diet for my AmStaff

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
funnymu

Low-Residue Diet for my AmStaff

Postby funnymu » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:43 pm

We adopted Kira abou 2-3 months ago, and she is on a prescription diet,
Eukanuba Low-Residue Diet.
I'm curious if anyone else has the same diet and/or have they done anything else about it?

thanks,
Tim

Fanatic
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Fanatic » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:11 pm

I'm not an expert on food, but I do know that Eukanuba is a crap food. You'd be better off with something healthier, like Natural Choice or Timberwolf. There are a few stickies on healthier foods here in the health section. :thumbsup:

Btw, what do you mean by prescription diet? Do you mean that a vet told you to put her on it? If so, I'd get a different vet, and quick.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:18 pm

Is there a reason she's on a low residue diet?? If so, then keep her on it.

Prescription diets are usually designed for specific purposes. Say, if your dog has a colonic stricture, it would be almost essential that he continue to eat his low residue diet...

Just because a vet uses Hills doesnt' make them a bad vet, and I certainly wouldn't change unless you have a better reason than that.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:19 pm

haha... can you tell I'm the hills queen... I meant Eukaneuba...

aaronchpmn
Adolescent Bully

Postby aaronchpmn » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:25 pm

eukanuba isn't prescriptionized and the site is the dumbest piece of shiv that ive seen in a long time..... i just googled it and it simply stated order here and then it asked if my vet approved the food (yes is required) no other questions asked at all and then i can place an order...... currently im looking for a website that sends out "medical marijuana" with the same stipulations to qualify roflmao

anyway if you want low residue food then you should look into solid gold, timberwolf, or rawfeeding i suggest timberwolf while you research on raw and its benefits, and at the VERY least switch your dog off of eukanuba to Canidae PAWS

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:35 pm

Yes, Eukaneuba DOES offer a line of prescription diets. These diets are available only from your vet and are formulated for dogs with special needs. They are the same thing as getting a diet plan from your doctor to help with a specific medical problem.

I would equate this with having your dog on a prescription drug. Before you change anything, find out WHY your dog is on this food.

Here is a link to the food, and no matter what you think of the company or quality of ingredients... talk to your vet before making any changes. If you do make changes, make them SLOWLY. If you haven't had the dog for long, do some major research into her medical history.

http://us.iams.com/iams/en_US/jsp/IAMS_ ... oductID=24

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:28 pm

Figuring out why the dog needs a prescription is very important. How old is the dog?

I'm not a fan of prescription diets, I honestly believe there are workable alternatives and feeding good quality foods that will so the same job. Find out why the dog requires a prescription and go from there.

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:52 am

My vet just put Dozer on the Low-Res. and I looked at Eukanuba's weight management and it has nearly the same nutrient analysis and ingredients except that the non-prescrip. has sorghum and barley.

I just don't understand why this food is better than any other with the same ingredients. It is 50 dollars for 30 pounds but you feed a bit less. He is on this and metronidazole. No one knows what is wrong with him.

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:05 pm

How long has he been sick? My dogs all got a bout of the doggie flu a few months ago, and were pooping everywhere. They got the Eukanuba low res to control the diarrhea for a few days. But I wouldn't feed it long term, it's mostly corn grits and the fish is preserved with ethoxyquin.(says so right on the bag, ew).

If it's just temporary, I wouldn't worry. What was he eating before?

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:40 pm

Dozer's story is long and complicated so it isn't an isolated event. We are using the food and metronidazole to see how it works. If it doesn't he is probably having an array of tests done. I don't like spending that much money for that food, but I am doing it to rule stuff out. Or we may end up putting him on a hypoallergenic food in the future too, the vet said. His history is confusing and we are willing to try anything at this point.. you can read the history under the heading Dozer and pancreatitis.

thanks for the info!!

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:04 pm

aaronchpmn wrote:eukanuba isn't prescriptionized and the site is the dumbest piece of shiv that ive seen in a long time..... i just googled it and it simply stated order here and then it asked if my vet approved the food (yes is required) no other questions asked at all and then i can place an order...... currently im looking for a website that sends out "medical marijuana" with the same stipulations to qualify roflmao

anyway if you want low residue food then you should look into solid gold, timberwolf, or rawfeeding i suggest timberwolf while you research on raw and its benefits, and at the VERY least switch your dog off of eukanuba to Canidae PAWS

Do you even know what you are talking about? :\ Clearly not...

Return to “Health Issues”