pitbulls and cold weather/winter

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
mkshih
Newborn Bully

pitbulls and cold weather/winter

Postby mkshih » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:22 pm

well i was wondering with the weather starting to get cold here in MI and winter being around the corner, will any of this affect our dogs? do they enjoy the snow/cold? should i still take them on alot of walks? do i have to worry about their skin and fur? thanks for any help and suggestions :)

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:35 pm

They get cold very easily. They have very short fur, and they really aren't 'cold weather dogs'. I have sweaters and coats for Gypsy, and I'm considering buying her some booties for the snow. She sleeps in her sweaters during the night, when it gets cold lol

If you do take you dogs on walks, make sure they either have a sweater/coat, or its not freezing outside. And if they are outdoor dogs, make sure they have very warm and cozy dog houses to stay warm in.

Ket

Raye

Postby Raye » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:46 pm

Along with coats and sweaters, if you live anywhere where they salt the roads it's not a bad idea to get a pair of booties.

mozplay

Postby mozplay » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:05 am

Mecca LOVES the snow. She loves to romp in it, send it up in big sprays and eat it like a snow cone. (I only allow that after a fresh snow fall. That being said, she hates the salt on the sidewalks etc. Be careful choosing 'shoes' though. The first pair I got for Mecca I went all out. They were the most expensive ones, bright yellow with reflective velcro strapping. They were also waterproof so slightly plasticy. I think the brand was NeoPaws, which is supposed to be good. However, what I did not consider were the seams on the inside. Poor Mecca, with her scant covering of fur, did not fare well. They actually blistered her paws. No good at all. The lovely el-cheapo simply flannel ones would have been better. She does not mind the dampness of the snow afterall (only the dampness of rain).

mkshih
Newborn Bully

Postby mkshih » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:32 am

thanks alot for the help everyone 8) where can i find these booties and sweaters at? could you give me a good website?

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:58 am

Actually, you can find really good deals on Ebay. That is wear I recently purchased a new coat for Gypsy lol

Just type in 'large dog sweater' or 'large dog coat' etc. For the boots, type in 'large dog boots'. Its pretty basic. I actually had to put XXL for the sweaters to find one in my girls size, but hopefully you can figure it out! :))

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:28 am

We're in MI too. Our dogs have a tough time of the snow and cold weather. Luckily our yard is fenced for running and exercise, so no salty walks in the winter. They never want to be out too long anyway.
Ours have fleece jackets we bought for cheap at Meijer and Pets Supplies Plus.
Here's Sidney in her coat (laying on the heating vent.. she's kind of a drama queen)

It never hurts to have some bag balm on hand just in case your dog gets cracked pads. Shades did occasionally when he was younger just from the cold and ice.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:10 pm

HAHA! I love that picture. Bentley stands next to or over the register too when the furnace is on. It doesn't even get THAT cold here! He's a wimp. I already have put his jacket on this year and it's only been 50ish! Big tough vicious pit bull my eye!

aaronchpmn
Adolescent Bully

Postby aaronchpmn » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:57 pm

d-o-g loves his hoodie

Raye

Postby Raye » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:44 am

I've heard great things about the booties available at this store: http://www.ruffwear.com/

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:52 am

I got a sweater for Ella, but I'm going to have to get something larger for her.
She doesn't even really care for the rain. She shivers.
Where else can we purchase coats big enough for our dogs?
Ella is about, I believe, 20 or 21".

RottNPitty

jackets

Postby RottNPitty » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:11 am

for good deals on doggie jackets check your local equine stores alot of times they have really good prices on coats! Even Petco and Petsmart aren't too bad. As far as liking the weat my pitty loves the snow, but hates the rain! Also PetEdge is super cheap, they rip you off on shipping but durable and cheap coats

sara
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sara » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:34 am

I wondered this same thing -- Mattie is already starting to shiver. It seems like it is going to be hard to find something that isn't for cutesy little teacup dogs! I started knitting her a heavy duty sweater! Though I will have to try ebay!

RottNPitty

Postby RottNPitty » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:53 am

www.jbpet.com try here my friend just told me about this place

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:26 pm

rufus gets all his coats and stuff from www.petedge.com

Return to “Health Issues”