Dog's tail just amputated, any advice?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
boots111

Dog's tail just amputated, any advice?

Postby boots111 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:36 pm

Due to a mast cell tumor right at the base of her tail, my staffy had to have the tail amputated. We decided (family and doctor) that it was the surest bet, and the only other alternative was 3 weeks of daily radiation, where she would be kept at the hospital the whole time, and have to suffer some side effects. Anyhow, long story short, the dog now has no tail, and I was just wondering if anybody can offer any advice on what we can expect (loss of balance, etc.).
Thanks

Sariss
Bully Ambassador

Postby Sariss » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:38 pm

From what I've seen, I don't think you will see much of a change.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:43 pm

I havent any experience with that, but possibly the same as a human losing a toe. Takes a little while to get used to, but should be fine. Sorry to hear about that though, but i would have chosen the same way, radiation sucks. :thumbsup:

aaronchpmn
Adolescent Bully

Postby aaronchpmn » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:49 pm

i'm familiar with about 30 apbt's with docked tails..... its not going to be any different than before........ unless you count the fact that they will wag their ass a helluva lot harder now roflmao

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:50 pm

My foster had his tail amputated a while ago and beside the intial care there were no probems.No loss of balance at all, the dog is quite agile.
When was the tail amputated? Are the stitches out?

boots111

Postby boots111 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:49 pm

Thanks for the help. Her tail was amputated today, she looks like a tazmania devil now. We have her separated from my pit (she's in an exercise pen) so he won't bother her. She's heavily medicated, but she definitely wants to be out and about with us. We let her out and she went right for a toy, which is her trademark, and she ate a whole bowl of food and then tried to steal off the dinner table, so she's still got her spunk. Tonite I'm sleeping downstairs on the couch so she won't feel lonely, and my pit is also refusing to come upstairs. They always sleep in bed with us so it's heartarming that he's showing that much love for her.

Amhailte

Postby Amhailte » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:55 pm

boots111 wrote:Thanks for the help. Her tail was amputated today, she looks like a tazmania devil now.

Lol, we call our SBT "Taz" anyway, but I bet he'd look even more like one without a tail. roflmao

I hope your girl has a speedy and complete recovery.

boots111

Postby boots111 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:17 am

Thanks. I ended up taking the day off today, because she is going to need medication, and her walking schedule is really off (she had to go at 4:30am last nite). Plus she is supposed to where that stupid e-collar, so I want to make sure I can be around to take it off so she can get some water. She seems like she's going to recover with pretty much no ill effects. As long as she can eat, run the treadmill, and play with her springpole she will be happy.

slechner

Postby slechner » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:39 am

keely, (username abnormalsanon) had her tail amputated. maybe you can PM them. i don't think she's on the board that much lately, but a PM should work.

Stacy

Postby Stacy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:44 am

Not to make light of the situation but each and every time Jezebel whacks me in the face with her tail, I'm wishing I'd have had it cut off when she was a pup! Those tails can really HURT when they wack you with them!

Glad to hear your girl is doing well! :thumbsup:

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:56 am

boots, there is a neck collar that your dog can wear instead of the big plastic ecollar... they are called Bite Not Collars, here is the link for them

http://www.calvetsupply.com/index.asp?P ... ProdID=227

if you are interested in one, i have 2 at home that one might fit your staffy. i can send it to you if you want. let me know. i have no need for it as its too small for my dogs.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:36 pm

Stacy wrote:Not to make light of the situation but each and every time Jezebel whacks me in the face with her tail, I'm wishing I'd have had it cut off when she was a pup! Those tails can really HURT when they wack you with them!

Everytime I see a pitbull, I get tail envy, I want to get whacked in the head lol
My two just have little stumps, so the best they can do is step on me.

Return to “Health Issues”