Intact Males...(calling Olympian AB)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ABPitLover
Bully Ambassador

Intact Males...(calling Olympian AB)

Postby ABPitLover » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:48 pm

...What can a person expect?

Well, I finally found a dog, I think, and the SBT that stole my heart is going to be shown by his breeder, so he is going to stay intact until he is about 4, probably. 3 more years (he is 9 months now). Right now, he is super mellow, not reactive to other dogs, seems pretty low drive, and both is dad & grandfather are still intact and are quite similar. Can I use that as being indicative of what he'll be like as he matures? I know to bear in mind that he might not be, and that he can still develop DA, etc. but I'm trying to figure out how much different he will be than a neutered male. An idiot around bitches & other male dogs?

btw, this isn't JUST for Olympian, but I know she has Apollo - anyone else who knows, I would love your input as well :peace:

peder
Super Bully

Postby peder » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:41 pm

we got a lot of sbt´s where i live, some of them are aggressive towards anything, and some are friendly to everything, i thnk it depends on the dog.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:04 pm

Are you getting a Distaff dog? Hers are pretty mellow.

Intact males are generally just idiots around bitches in season, and if you train for it, you can get past a lot of that.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:07 pm

They are pretty much the same the differences are over rated - BUT all dogs are different so you never know, but in general they act pretty much the same as neutered males - except around a bitch in heat then they are idiots - oh and the like to mark everywhere - but that can be controlled with training.

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:14 pm

Honestly.. (my male is better then alot of nuetered males)...but really thers' no differences..

my male is around in heat females and doesn't seem to care.. but it's the same.. just have to be careful around other females..like if u have neighbors w intacted females. My male has not ever "played" w a non neuetered male.. But he's very mellow and very chill..

Now i can't say all intacted males are like that because they aren't. My ABD is not hA, DA, or reactive to any thing but furrry things outside..

Marking..haha whatever..my almost 1 1/2 yr old male..squats to pee never marks, doens't act stupid around females..(thats all training)..and whats appropraite or not. Apollo's use to be in a tight area w several other females..in heat..

The big problems ive seen is when there are several males around a in heat female..mine doesn't care but others do...

ABPitLover
Bully Ambassador

Postby ABPitLover » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:22 pm

Sarah wrote:Are you getting a Distaff dog? Hers are pretty mellow.

Yes, I will be, if everything pans out :thumbsup:

We'll be in obedience right away, if I get him.
Thanks everyone for your responses, I feel better - you basically reaffirmed what I've been told already, it's just nice to make sure :)) The dad and grandpa are super mellow & laid back, so if I can use them as a gauge, I'm happy.
Olympian, he is a squatter, too! I saw him raise his legs just a few times, and squat a lot!

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:52 pm

Apollo never lifts his leg.lol

i love that part:)

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:43 am

[quote="OlmpyianAB"]Honestly.. (my male is better then alot of nuetered males)...but really thers' no differences..

my male is around in heat females and doesn't seem to care.. quote]

I thought you said he runs/frets/worries himself to a skeleton when your neighbors dog is in heat?

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:36 pm

I have 3 intact males and yes they even like each Other LOL

All are dominant dogs and markers but have NEVER lifted their legs in the house even when my girls are in heat.

When there is a female in heat however they are kept seperate not to chance a problem and also 2 of them will howl and whine and all 3 will stop eating the right way during that time. It is a pain in the butt.

Training is a big part of having any dog intact or not

Good luck

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:38 pm

pblove wrote:
OlmpyianAB wrote:Honestly.. (my male is better then alot of nuetered males)...but really thers' no differences..

my male is around in heat females and doesn't seem to care.. quote]

I thought you said he runs/frets/worries himself to a skeleton when your neighbors dog is in heat?

I dont consider weight lost acting like a full..and he's not a skeleton...idk where u saw that from. Only bones u can see are his last 3 ribs...and both dogs when they curl up thier back bone...mmhmm not a skeleton..

and i mean doesnt' care...as he doesn't try to whine pull nothing..he just doesn't like to eat, when a female is in heat... i dont think thats worrying, or runs.. Bc i honestly never see him run... no fence..all leash walking on a 6ft leash not much to run..lol

and the kennels only 13 feet long and 6 feet wide..he only digs in there..lol

Return to “Health Issues”