Mixing cooked meat in w/kibble

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Mixing cooked meat in w/kibble

Postby kbreese » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:54 am

Turns out we got a finicky eater on our hands and have to mix something in with the kibble to get her to eat it. This dog is so finicky she even walked away from fresh peanut butter in a kong.

I know most do the raw thing, but is there anything wrong if its cooked? (left overs from our dinner)

Also, what are some of the best things to mix in with the kibble? So far I have used:

Whole raw egg
Tuna water (drainage from can)
cut up cooked beef w/fat
Pork juice (from cooking pork cutlets)

The only thing she really started eaiting immediately was the beef mixed in. The other she would snif and walk away and we had to talk her into coming back to eat it. Like i said she is very finicky and not much of an eater or a chewer either for that matter.
kbreese

Postby kbreese » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:33 am

Thanks fore the response.

Yeah I agree with what you are saying, but I actually WANT to include supplementation to the Kibble. Since Kibble is known to be mostly Proteins from grains, I want to give her some additional real meat protein among other things.

I am mostly trying to figure out what are the best things to mix in with kibble to make a kibble diet more healthy without actually going to a full blown BARF diet for example. And I'm wondering if cooked meat is one of them
kbreese

Postby Hooligan » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:52 am

I feel my kids cooked chicken as well. I just make a separate meal out of it. I think its better for them that way.
Hooligan

Postby heatherlyn » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:21 pm

Here is a recipe for feeding kibble with other beneficial additions:
http://b-naturals.com/natural.php

Another site with useful additions and also a list of quality kibble if you think a food change might help: http://www.bowchow.com/dogfeeding.html

I agree that if you teach your dog to 'ignore your food and I'll add something better', well, your dog is only going to get more picky. However, some dogs just don't like kibble, don't do well with kibble. We tried all the tricks, changing foods and being firm with Poco for over a year, as soon as we switched to 'real food' she never had a problem with eating (or over eating, she regulates her food intake to keep herself at a nice weight). She still won't eat much during the day, preferring to eat once a day before bedtime.

Have you had her teeth checked? Eating is no fun with a cracked or hurt tooth. You might try a different kibble as well.

Foods that can be toxic: Onions, raw salmon, chocolate, excessive amounts of cooked fat

Peanut butter makes my dogs projectile vomit, personally, I don't feed it and they don't really like it.
heatherlyn
Adolescent Bully

Postby kbreese » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:11 pm

Thanks for the links. No I havent had her teeth checked. I'll take a look myself when I get home. her teeth do have some buildup on them though probably from whatever the shelter was feeding. Our previous dogs always had beautiful white teeth on a stictly Nutro Natural Choice dry kibble diet.

I am feeding my new dog Bonnie (rescued pit) Natural Balance. It cost a little more than the Nutro Natural but it sounded good and wanted to give it a try. After reading more about BARF type diets and anti-kibble articles, I am interested in supplementing the kibble as I don't think I have the time or $$ for a full fledged BARF diet. Also, I feel a good quality kibble is still pretty good, so I am going for a sort of in between diet.
kbreese

Postby elizer » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:08 pm

i was under the impression that it was bad to mix raw and kibble, because the kibble and raw digest differently ..?
i heard it was better off to just feed them one meal with raw and 1 with kibble?
elizer

Postby pitbulliest » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:25 pm

elizer..that's true with raw..but you can feed cooked with kibble no problem.
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby spane1 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:12 pm

Jack doesn't really like kibble either. We tried the hard "eat it or we pick it up" route but it never worked. Jack also turns his nose away from kongs filled with peanut butter, cream cheese, etc. Now we put in any of the following (or a combination of) in with his Wellness dry kibble:

wet dog food
wet cat food (I know, I know but Tiger is done with it and Jack loves it. Not alot)
Sliced deli turkey
Cheese
Small hot dog pieces
Our dinner leftovers (meat)

I know it is not ideal but it works. His coat looks and feels great!

Sarah
spane1

Postby kbreese » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:00 am

Sarah,

Ok good, I thought I had the only dog in the wolrd that would turn down peanut butter, lol.

Judging by the picture it looks like Jack is nice and shiny and healthy. Handsome fella...
kbreese

Postby blover27 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:15 am

kbreese the wet we use is also wellness...just a tablespoon or so along with a little olive oil...also wellness makes this supplement in a powder form that has everything in it...off the top of my head it has flax seed, salmon meal, glucosamine, fish oil, garlic...it makes it a lot easier...

i don't really put cold cuts in his kibble at the same time anymore cause he is less finnicky with the wellness than he was with the cheaper kibble we started with (science diet, pro plan)...although he still gets the other stuff she mentioned just not at the same time

his coat is a thousand times better than when he first came home with us...he had no shine and when you used to pet him he was a little "coarse" ya know? now he is shiny and soft...its really amazing actually

(sarah feeds the cat not the dog lol )
blover27

Postby kbreese » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:03 am

blover27 wrote:

his coat is a thousand times better than when he first came home with us...he had no shine and when you used to pet him he was a little "coarse" ya know? now he is shiny and soft...its really amazing actually

(sarah feeds the cat not the dog lol )

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. Yes you can tell....he looks very soft, shiny and healthy. Handsome pictures!
kbreese

Postby heatherlyn » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:19 pm

elizer wrote:i was under the impression that it was bad to mix raw and kibble, because the kibble and raw digest differently ..?
i heard it was better off to just feed them one meal with raw and 1 with kibble?

The theory is that you should not feed raw bones and kibble at the same time, but boneless meat and organs can be fed raw with kibble without a problem.
heatherlyn
Adolescent Bully

Postby kbreese » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:09 am

heatherlyn wrote:
elizer wrote:i was under the impression that it was bad to mix raw and kibble, because the kibble and raw digest differently ..?

The theory is that you should not feed raw bones and kibble at the same time, but boneless meat and organs can be fed raw with kibble without a problem.

So its definitely ok to feed RAW with kibble?, can anyone else confirm that?

Honestly though, I don't know if I could ever feel comfortable feeding raw meat. How much of a difference nutritionally does it make If the meat is cooked-not cooked, just like a nice piece of beef cooked medium.
kbreese

Return to Health Issues