chipping

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

chipping

Postby phil me in » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:26 pm

is there any bad affects to chipping a dog? should i do it if i get a pit?
phil me in

Postby Fish » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:57 am

Never heard of that ???
Fish

Postby shella677 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:19 am

Are you talking about Microchipping??
shella677

Postby Boo439 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:22 am

If you're talking about Microchipping, Toda is chipped andhe's never had any problems. He's been chipped since he was about 4 months old. He's 2 1/2 now.
Last edited by Boo439 on Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boo439

Postby megan203 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:44 am

I've never heard of any bad effects from microchipping an animal. Actually most shelters and rescues in my area do it (and the rescue I volunteer for requires it) in an effort to prevent more strays. Shelters know who to contact if a stray microchipped dog is found.
megan203

Postby phil me in » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:39 pm

sorry, yeah i mean microchipping
phil me in

Postby heatherlyn » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:17 pm

I've seen many animals who developed a mass around their microchip, including my own cat. My neighbor's dog developed a permanent scab as well as a mass at the injection shot. Nothing is perfectly safe, you are injecting a foriegn body into your animal, no matter how small.

That said, I still microchip all my animals, I've worked in a shelter and it's a sad sight to see so many obviously loved animals never reunited with their owners. Also, a foster dog of mine was adopted and lost a few days later with a tag connected to my information. Sadly, we never found the dog and I wonder if the collar or tag fell off ...
heatherlyn
Adolescent Bully

Postby megan203 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:59 am

megan203

Microchipping and tattooing

Postby Katie » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:08 pm

I would just make sure the kind of microchip your vet uses can be read by all scanners. I believe there are some companies that make chips that can only be read by their own scanners. They do this in an effort to corner the market.

If you're concerned about people stealing your dog to sell it to a researcher, tattooing is another option. Legally, if your dog has a tattoo, he/she cannot be used for research. Researchers don't have to scan for microchips (and it's really not in their interest to do so). The dog will have to be put under anesthetic for the tattooing though. It's good to have that done when your dog goes in for another procedure, like spaying or neutering.
Katie

Postby PitBullPride » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:50 pm

I know we see AVID the most, then HOME AGAIN. I heard that Banfield, the Petsmart vet, made their own chip....NO GOOD!!!! The scanner that reads AVID and HOME AGAIN cannot read that chip.....defeats the purpose...
PitBullPride

Return to Health Issues