Levi's gross

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Levi's gross

Postby kendall » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:12 pm

Okay, he's not really gross. But we've developed a problem since the move. Levi has dandruff.
I'm assuming it's from moving from a very moist and humid climate in Maine to a very dry climate here in Wyoming. For awhile it didn't bother him, but lately he's been scratching a lot. The only area that seems affected is his neck... where he has thicker fur. The rest of him seems fine. But he's scratched his neck so much that I noticed a couple tiny scabs behind his ears. What could I do for him to make the transition a little easier? And does anyone have an idea of how long it may take him to get used to it here??
kendall
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby moto1320 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:47 pm

Daisy had it so bad when I adopted her that until I got her home and bathed her, I thought that she was blue instead of black. Innova helped her coat over other foods, though she is on Wellness now. I supplement olive oil and raw eggs among other things. If she gets dandruff now and I give her an egg and some oil you can see the change in about a day.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:58 pm

The scabs behind the ears also can be a sign that your pup has ear mites. Your vet can check for these, or you can do a treatment with Ivermectin just in case. Something to think about....
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby Erika » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:05 pm

try benadryl. the dosage is 1mg per pound. I also really like these products called ResiChlor and ResiSoothe. I get them from the vet, but basically they are a leave-on lotion. It worked great for Reagan's puppy dandruff.
Erika
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby damienApbt » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:01 pm

moto1320 wrote:I supplement olive oil and raw eggs among other things. .

hey moto...how often to you feed the raw egg. or anyone else out there.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:06 pm

Every few days I feed a few raw eggs... I grinde up the egg shells and feed those as well. They love it, and the egg shells provide good calcium.
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby blover27 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:23 pm

Steph-n-Wolf wrote:Every few days I feed a few raw eggs... I grinde up the egg shells and feed those as well. They love it, and the egg shells provide good calcium.

never heard of this one....how fine do grind the shells? how do you do it? in a paper towel i would guess right? interesting...but i suppose it makes sense... :huh?:
blover27

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:52 pm

I know people that just hand there dog an egg, and they have the fun of cracking it and eating it. A bit messy, granted. I just grind up the shells in my hands (raw) and put them in a bowl with the rest of the egg,(and then wash my hands! Yick!) and sometimes yogurt, olive oil, nutri-stat, or by themselves.... my husband uses the blender. The film on the eggs has not bothered anybody here yet, but do whatever you feel comfortable with. We have our own chickens that are kept clean and humanely, and the eggs are organic. I feel very comfortable feeding the eggs to my pets raw. For ferrets (just so you know... like you care) only give the yolk, and cook the shells due to biotein (spelling on that?) ... it is fine for dogs and cats, however.

A bit of animal fat once a week can help the coat, as well. Organ and tripe is good to give here and there to see some improvement as well. Flax seed oil is good, but you have to keep it cold, use by the experation date, and make sure that it is sealed when you get it (it is nasty stuff if it spoils) ... the omega -3 s are good for the dog.

FISH! Fish is REALLY good for the coat. Feed raw. DO NOT FEED SALMON. We feed catfish raw, and get it for a really good price.
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby blover27 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:58 pm

just so you know... like you care
naaaaah not really lol thank you for taking the time to explain Steph-n-Wolf ..i will give it a try.. :thumbsup:

hope these suggestions help out levi kendall :pray
blover27

Postby SuperNova » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:37 pm

DO NOT FEED SALMON? I've heard that COOKED salmon is great for dogs. Not to mention salmon meal is an ingredient in the Wellness Puppy food. Maybe do not feed salmon raw is what you were saying?
SuperNova
Matured Bully

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:42 pm

Don't feed salmon RAW is totally what I meant.... but salmon is a bit spendy (if you didn't catch it yourself!) There are so many other (CHEAPER) choices that are safe even if raw..... I am just used to suggesting people avoid it. But no, giving your pup a piece of cooked salmon is not a problem.

Check asian food stores for cheap frozen fish.....
Steph-n-Wolf

Return to Health Issues