thyroid meds and RAGING appetite?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

thyroid meds and RAGING appetite?

Postby BabyReba » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:52 pm

So Reba's been on her new medical regimen for about 2 weeks now--some Rimadyl (yes, I decided to take the risk and so far it's resulted in a total improvement with no side effects), once a week swim therapy, and thyroid replacement meds.

Suddenly, she is absolutely and insanely ravenous. she's lost 2 pounds so far (she could still stand to lose about 5 more) and she has become an absolute freak about food. she used to just barely eat her 2 cups of food per day. now she wolfs her food down, then shoves JD out of the way to finish his. then she scouts the whole kitchen looking for crumbs or scraps. then she sneaks over to the coffee table and licks it looking for crumbs. today i was furious with her because she raided my aquarium cabinet (which she's never done) and she tore into all my fish foods and hermit crab foods. she polished off a brand new container of dried krill, some sun-dried plankton, and a whole container of hermit crab food! bad!

i am suspecting that it's the thyroid meds that are messing with her metabolism. i've increased her food by about 1/2 cup per day, but no more because she's supposed to lose weight to ease her joint problems. but this dog has become insane!

anyone one else experienced this kind of thing with dogs on thyroid replacement therapies? any advice for filling the bottomless pit without putting on the pounds? atkins?
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby turtle » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:08 am

I've been told that adding some lightly cooked green beans to the food will add bulk and not add calories. It makes them feel full and should work. I've not tried it personally since I've not had a dog who needed to lose weight but I know other dog owners who say it works well. Chop up the fresh beans and microwave for a bit, and stir them into her regular food, you might even add some warm water to the kibble, too. Hope it helps.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pocketpit » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:49 am

I've heard of this happening with other dogs as well although I haven't yet had any personal experience with it. I agree with the green bean theory. Adding anything low calorie would be okay. Veggies and fruit are okay in moderation (if she like them). Plain popcorn and rice cakes are good for snacks and training treats.
pocketpit

Postby nessa » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:26 am

Well, yeah. the thyroid regulates metabolism. If she is on thryroid hormone replacement, then her metabolism will have kicked up from its lethargic past. She's burning more calories faster etc. I'd expect her energy level to also be up. Now, you do want to make sure that she's not swung too far the other way into hyperthyroidism, which can happen if the dose is too high.

Since she's losing weight, I wouldn't worry about modifying her diet yet.

When does she go back in for a check up? I'd certainly give the vet a call, if for no other reason than to calm your worries.

I'm by NO means implying that your dog IS on too high a doseage. In humans, it can take a while to find the right dosage, I'm not sure how that is for dogs.
nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby BabyReba » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:52 am

I'm not really planning to modify her diet so much as I am looking for something to fill her up so she might be a little less freakish about wanting to eat all the time. This morning she ate breakfast (to which I have been adding water to make her feel more full . . . for dinner, I'll try the green beans) then went back to where the hermit crab tanks are because she could smell the teeny bit of peanut butter and carrots that are in the dishes.

The vet said she doesn't need to see her for 3 months from now, but I'm making an appointment for 2 weeks from now. If I'm going to keep her on Rimadyl and be working on thyroid replacement, I want them to monitor her bloodwork more frequently in the beginning than twice a year which they said is their standard. So when I go, I'll be bringing up the fact that she's become a raging pig!
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby nessa » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:01 am

How about some brown rice?
Poor piggy piggy, :crybaby:
thyroid problems SUCK!
Luckily they are easily treated.
nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby megan203 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:23 am

I'd watch it with the canned green beans, while they're cheap, they tend to have lots of salt too....
megan203

Return to Health Issues