Tapeworms

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Tapeworms

Postby Hooligan » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:31 pm

Great! I think our new dog has tapeworms! I just let hjim out to go to the bathroom in our side yard and when he pooped, I thought to myself "Hey, maybe I should go check it since we just got him from the HS" and yup....fat worms are wriggling around in it. They look like tapeworms, but a few wre about an inch long.

What meds are used to treat these? I read that they must see a vet for treatment but he doesn't have his appt. til Friday....and now I am afraid he has infected our other dogs!

I know a lot of you must have had someexperience with this....
Hooligan

Postby shella677 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:38 pm

I really wouldn't trust the over the counter medication for worms. I would take a sample into your vets and they will prescribe you something. You probalby won't even have to take the dog in, just a sample. And they might not even run the test if the tapeworms are visable to them. Of course I would call them first, before you make a trip for nothing. Or maybe the HS you got him from could help too.
shella677

Postby abman » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:44 pm

A major way that dogs get tapeworms is through ingestion of fleas that ate a tapeworm egg. Also they can get them from eating an animal that ate a tapeworm egg.I have heard that praziquantel is good for treating tapeworms. I think the brand name is called droncit but it is super expensive.

Places like kvvet http://www.kvvet.com sell pet tabs that are usually around $20 that are supposed to treat tapeworms. Not sure how well they work.
abman
Matured Bully

Postby Ann » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:34 pm

Yuckie!!! I would bring a sample in to the vets as soon as possible, that way you can start treating him.
Ann

Return to Health Issues