Regarding Weight Chart Sticky

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Regarding Weight Chart Sticky

Postby pitbulliest » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:44 pm

Sorry about this post and it may be a bit late..but I just finished actually reading that weight guide sticky and I have to say that I don't think I actually agree with it. Especially the part about the neck check? Uhm..there are alot of breeds that have stocky necks and are just naturally muscular...so I don't know if that's accurate at all...

And the ribs? So when you move your fingers along the ribs you don't even have to apply any pressure and you can just feel them? I think that's a bit too skinny then. When checking Messina's weight, I'll always apply a little bit of pressure in order to accurately feel her ribs...sometimes quite a bit of pressure.. so I dunno..you guys have seen her pics...she doesn't look overweight to me....right?

I dunno..just thought I would bring that up in case some people were paranoid that their dogs are automatically overweight...
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jmann4 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:33 pm

Well, I'm not one to pick on other people's dogs, but most dogs are overweight. Just watch a dog show one time and look, the majorty of dogs are overweight. And these are show dogs.

You should be able to EASILY feel the ribs using LIGHT pressure. And for older dogs that neck and the hips are another way to check. Checking all three will give you a good indication if your dog is at it's optimal weight.

That doesn't mean if the dogs is 1-2-3 pounds overweight it's a bad thing. It's just a way for those who want their dogs to be at the prime weight.
jmann4

Postby JB » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:59 am

I agree that most people keep their dogs overweight. My dog is all muscle and bone (mostly bone) and I get comments from people at the park constantly. I usually reply with "that's what a healthy dog looks like".

I usually want to be able to feel my mutt's ribs easily (as JMann wrote), but I don't want to be able to see them too easily.
JB

Postby blover27 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:06 am

JB wrote:I agree that most people keep their dogs overweight. My dog is all muscle and bone (mostly bone) and I get comments from people at the park constantly. I usually reply with "that's what a healthy dog looks like".

I usually want to be able to feel my mutt's ribs easily (as JMann wrote), but I don't want to be able to see them too easily.

exactly JB...i have had people look at jack and say "oh your poor dog is so skinny" :roll:
it really pisses me off considering how much i care for him :po: and the fact that he is probably a good 4-5 lbs overweight lol
blover27

Postby kbreese » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:26 am

Yeah My bonnie is very skinny in the waist too. You can see her ribs when she breaths hard. She has like no fat and might actually need a tad more but she's by no means unhealthy. My previous pits were always on the thin side too (fat wise). Thats how they should be. You guys are right too many dogs are overweight these days.
kbreese

Postby pocketpit » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:53 pm

Amen!
pocketpit

Postby Maximus » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:43 pm

It's true. For months now, I've thought Chico was just too skinny (I can easily feel his ribs, though he doesn't look emaciated). I know Ruby's overweight, and by contrast it makes Chico look really thin.

I took Chico to a new vet a few weeks ago, and he said that Chico was the perfect weight, and that it's pretty rare. Most people's dogs are overweight.
Maximus

Postby elegy » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:26 pm

somebody once told me that feeling your dog's ribs should be like feeling the back of your hand. that's pretty much what luce feels like.

i can see her ribs when she sniffs and when she pants. i can just barely see them otherwise. i think she looks really good right now and i hope i can keep her this weight and fitness level.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby moto1320 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:10 pm

My vet was very forward about this right off the jump with Doc. When I got him he was getting alot of exercise out doors and eating minimal food. He was totally ripped...right on the line where I was even wondering. My vet said right off the jump, especially with his less than perfect hips...that is what he should look like. Don't put any weight on him.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby AllAmericanPUP » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:18 pm

Eli is at a great weight, i can easily feell his ribs and sometimes even see a rib or two. I can see all of his ribs when he eats, lol, he sucks in his tummy when he eats..weirdo.....lol. :)
my great pyrenees mix is FAT, but I think she probably has a thryoid problem and I need to have that checked!
AllAmericanPUP

Postby pitbulliest » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:52 pm

Whata bout the neck thing? I have to admit my dog's neck is quite thick..but I can feel her ribs with a bit of pressure..definately not alot..but a little bit of pressure..

What about that back thing..feeling the butt? I can't feel my dog's azz bones lol..

I dunno..56lbs sounds fine to me for her..blahhh :tongue:
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jmann4 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:02 pm

pitbulliest wrote:Whata bout the neck thing? I have to admit my dog's neck is quite thick..but I can feel her ribs with a bit of pressure..definately not alot..but a little bit of pressure..

What about that back thing..feeling the butt? I can't feel my dog's azz bones lol..

I dunno..56lbs sounds fine to me for her..blahhh :tongue:

It's a guide. If you can't feel the hip bones easily, without pressing down, your dog may need to lose a few pounds. In the end though this is just a guide to get an idea of your pets weight.
jmann4

Postby Leslie H » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:10 am

Moto brought up a very important point, excess weight is a strain to your dog's structure. As dysplasia is very common in our breeds, with about 20% of submitted x-rays failing OFA's rating, and the majority of pets not being x-rayed, why further jeopardize your dog? There are no health risks I know of associated w/a dog being too lean, better to err on the side of caution, IMO. I rarely see pet dogs of any breed in fit condition, I think most pet owners, and plenty of show owners, don't grasp what a fit dog looks like. This starts in puppyhood, leaner pups are more likely to grow up sound, and continues into the senior years.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby AllAmericanPUP » Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:55 pm

You can feel Keesha's(she's a mutt) ribs and hip bones, I think she needs to gain a few pounds, but the vet said it's best for her to be a bit lean cause it definately wont hurt her! so i'm not to worried about it.
I think Eli is in pretty good condition, yea he could be a lot better, but for a pet i certainly think he looks pretty good and he definately isn't overweight

AllAmericanPUP

Return to Health Issues