Do all Pitbulls Stink?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Do all Pitbulls Stink?

Postby ThompsonZ » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:50 pm

Hi im not sure if this is the correct section to post but basicly im hoping to get my pitbull puppie however my mum is getting thoughts of not even getting a dog anymore :O because my mums friend has a pitbull and she has been complaining to my mum how the pitbull stinks and how the vet gave them a special shampoo but the smell still does not go away. now my mum is thinking it is the same for all pitbulls can u please tell me is this true?
ThompsonZ
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:55 pm

Nope, every dog is different. Some dogs are more stinky than others. Diet seems to make a big difference sometimes, and sometimes they're just stinky in general. Most dogs that are well fed and well groomed and don't roll in nasty stuff in the back yard DON'T stink, so chances are good that the pup won't smell. Unless you have sensitive noses in the family that is.

If your mom is unwilling to get a dog because of the small inconvenience of a little stinkiness, her devotion to owning a dog is definately in question. I don't know if she's prepared to own a dog if she's worried about something so... well, insignificant.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:58 pm

Piper has no dog smell. We keep her indoors and bring her outside for walks and playtime. We give her baths and feed her good food. She smells like a clean shirt. :)

It depends on the dog, I suppose....but there are definitely ways to make a dog stinkier!
Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby SFBullyGirl » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:20 pm

mine does not, in fact when she is dirty she smells like cornchips
SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ninjagirl » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:33 pm

Mine do not stink.All the pit a now don't stink,put all the dogs I know who have longer hair do smell,put smelling does not mean stink.Oups just for the feet my son says they smell like doritos loll lol
Ninjagirl
Newborn Bully

Postby LuvmyBubba » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:54 pm

No doggie odor for my boy Axle. Now his gas on the other hand is so bad it would make a train take a dirt road. LOL 8l :eek: :bolt:
LuvmyBubba

Postby chewbecca » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm

SFBullyGirl wrote:mine does not, in fact when she is dirty she smells like cornchips

Fritos!!!
That is the worst Ella gets. She occasionally gets frito toes, but since the change in diet (over to raw) that smell has practically disappeared.
Other than that, not a single smell comes from her.
But, I bathe her weekly and between baths I have some vanilla/almond spray I spray on her.
chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:50 pm

not only does my pit bull NOT stink, people always ask me why she smells so good when they pet her or hug her.??
I don't put any thing on her other then when she gets a bath in her shampoo.
I do brush her everyday, and every couple days run a damp cloth over her coat, face, and wipe inside her ears, but I use plain warm water for that even
If seh gets really hot layiong pout in the sun, she will slightly smell like Fritoes, but as soon as she comes in the air conditioned house, no more Fritoes smell either.
I do notice when people feed their dogs cheap dog kibble, the dogs do get a stronger odor it seems.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:12 pm

They usually smell if you feed them crappy food.
Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby rednoseErnie » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:30 pm

Mine has a bit of a doggy smell, but not too bad.
rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby Linariel » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:36 pm

I mean to say, they usually smell *really* bad if you feed them crappy food.

Mine have a little doggie smell, and some smell more than others.
Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby moochesmama » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:10 pm

Mine smell a bit like dry grass or sometimes Fritos. I had a foster that was a bit funky kind of cheesy, but she had a tendency towards yeast infections of the skin. She smelled the worst when we first got her from the shelter and got somewhat better on good dog food.
moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby LazyDaisy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:46 pm

Mine like to roll in the dirt...but they aren't too stinky unless it's been a while since their last bath. Even then it's really only doggie smell, not bad. I just noticed with Rosco, that he smells very similar to the way my skin smells after tanning.... :dunno:
LazyDaisy
Forum Junky

Postby Laina » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:52 pm

SFBullyGirl wrote:mine does not, in fact when she is dirty she smells like cornchips

I second that! Especially King's feet, they smell like fritos, he'll climb in bed with us and it'll smell like we're sleeping with a bag of fritos by the morning.

Also, I found these great wipes through Earth Bath that are like baby wipes you can wipe your dog down when they get a bit doggy smelling. Its like a little bath in a wet-wipe. The ones I have smell like green tea tree! We only bath him every 4-6 weeks, the wipes help keep him fresh between baths.
Laina
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Siberian » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:29 pm

Sheba smells like cookies :)) She smells like a wet dog after the rain, but as soon as she is dry, it is gone.

My friends Shar-bull is a stinker. No matter what he washes him with, he is one smelly dawg.
Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Next

Return to Health Issues