Oh My God (her eyes)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Oh My God (her eyes)

Postby Vitaliy » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:13 pm

I live across the street from a beach so almost every other day my dogs get to go run around on the sand and run around the water. Yesterday my female Bulldog ran in the water and got just completely covered with a wave and being hyper she ran out and jumped face first in the sand and started rolling around... and then obviously ran back for some more. We just laughed that off, and as she got home she acted like nothing is wrong and played some more in the house, ate, and went to sleep.

This morning she gets up and her eyes are just so swollen, kind of what humans get when they have an allergic reaction. I opened up the eye lid and all around her eye everything is swollen and the eye itself is all red. I start freaking out and run to the vet, he just told us that she got some sand in the eye and blinking with it for a day it just really irritated her eye, he just opened her eyes and washed it with this liquid washing away few pieces of sand. He said she will have this for the next few days and everything will be fine...

I am just wondering if anyone else has any side opinions on this? or anyone experienced something like this with their dog?
Vitaliy

Postby Fish » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:42 pm

I am sure not going to second guess your Vet., but I will give you another idea and it probley isn't whats going on here but it could be, because it has happened to me before. If this was salt water, your dog could have been stung by a jelly fish, Jelly fish aren't really a problem till its gets on to Fall but they are around. Just a thought.
Fish

Postby Vitaliy » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:50 pm

Fish wrote:I am sure not going to second guess your Vet., but I will give you another idea and it probley isn't whats going on here but it could be, because it has happened to me before. If this was salt water, your dog could have been stung by a jelly fish, Jelly fish aren't really a problem till its gets on to Fall but they are around. Just a thought.

It seems that the sand that got behind the eye lid scratched the eye. One of the eyes was by far more swollen and she kept it close, the eye that was worse got washed about three times through out the day. Today it looks like the swelling went away and she keeps both of them open just fine... Right now it seems like everything will be just fine but I still am worried in the back of my mind and hoping she will not get something serious like Corneal Ulcer.

Oh also, she is an English Bulldog meaning she does not swim ;). She just runs in and out of the water and rolls around in sand.. roflmao
Vitaliy

Return to Health Issues