VOMITING

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

VOMITING

Postby ILLMATIK » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:21 pm

homie has been throwing up liquid for the past 4 or 5 days, he has a problem of drinking water too fast thats wat i think it is and i caught him playing with a dead mouse in the yard this morning can he get anything from that ?

please help
ILLMATIK

Postby jmann4 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:36 pm

First of all, this could be an upset stomach. But if he's projectile vomiting go to the vet. He could possibly have an obstruction which can be caused by something like eating a ball or a toy.

I would take him to the vet anyway just to make sure. X-rays would be a good idea if he's projectile vomiting.
Last edited by jmann4 on Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jmann4

Postby ILLMATIK » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:37 pm

^
exactly what do u mean by projectile vomiting ?
ILLMATIK

Postby jmann4 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:24 pm

ILLMATIK wrote:^
exactly what do u mean by projectile vomiting ?

like spews out, like a water hose.
jmann4

Postby JaquelineC » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:20 am

Any dog that's been vomiting for 5 days straight should probably go to the vet, IMO.
JaquelineC

Postby barbponys » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:38 am

Consistent vomiting for more than a day or two is a bad sign. Garion can be greedy with water and will gack some of it back up but it isn't everyday. After it happned the 3rd time I consulted the vet just to make sure there wasn't somthing else possibly going on. Please get him checked, make sure there isn't something serious going on.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby kenix » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:40 pm

With my dog, he vomits if he doesn't burp right after he finish drinking water. somewhat like a baby. I gotta help him burp. :)) If I leave him alone and he goes off playing, he'll end up vomiting whatever he had that hour or so.
kenix

vomiting

Postby texas pit stop » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:28 pm

If my dog started vomiting, and was doing it on the second day, he would be at the vet's office before there could be a third.
texas pit stop

Re: vomiting

Postby Hondovious » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:33 pm

texas pit stop wrote:If my dog started vomiting, and was doing it on the second day, he would be at the vet's office before there could be a third.

Straight up. :thumbsup:
Hondovious

Postby mnp13 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:47 pm

Get the dog to a vet. Throwing up once or twice in a day is not a big deal. After the first 24 hours you could be dealing with life threatening problems.

If your dog has been unable to keep water down for 4 days you are running a serious risk of severe dehydration - which can and will cause renal failure among other things.

If you pinch your dog's skin and is doesn't slide quickly into place that is a sign of dehydration.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby ILLMATIK » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:06 pm

i brought him to the vet and the vet robbed me of a hundred dollars, i switched back to his old food and how he is fine,

all this bringing to a vet as soon as somehting happens is bull

my dad had 2 dogs, a lab and a jack russell and they didnt have any of their shots, they had never been to the vet and they lived perfect healthy lives
ILLMATIK

Postby JaquelineC » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:18 pm

:roll:

The one time you don't, your dog could end up dead. Is that really a risk you're willing to take with the life of your best friend and dependant?
JaquelineC

Postby megan203 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:41 pm

ILLMATIK wrote:i brought him to the vet and the vet robbed me of a hundred dollars, i switched back to his old food and how he is fine,

I would hardly call bringing your dog to the vet after 5 straight days of vomiting "as soon as something happens".

There are disorders that your dog could have had that would have been causing this problem. You went to get it checked out, the vet gave you his professional advice (which he has every right to charge you for), you followed that advice and now your dog's better. I fail to see how that's "bull". Would you have rather gone to the vet, found out that your dog had some sort of life threatening disorder, and that you'd have to spend thousands of dollars, and many hours of anxiety to get it fixed?
Myself, I'd be pretty damn happy that it was only a problem with the food.
megan203

Postby mnp13 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:18 pm

ILLMATIK wrote:i brought him to the vet and the vet robbed me of a hundred dollars, i switched back to his old food and how he is fine,

my dad had 2 dogs, a lab and a jack russell and they didnt have any of their shots, they had never been to the vet and they lived perfect healthy lives

You're kidding, right?

4 days of vomiting is 'as soon as something happens'?????

That's great that your dad happened to have healthy dogs, what does that have to do with ANYTHING? If your dad's dogs couldn't keep water down for 4 days straight and he didn't bring them to the vet I would also think he was irresponsible.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby damienApbt » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:38 pm

might also be considered animal cruelty as well. im sure if one of your dads dogs was pissin blood he would have taken them to the vet or not. just because it goes away doesnt mean they're healthy. or just because they're alive at age 15 doesnt mean they had a good life with out a treatable disease or other preventable pains.

edited to add: you did the right thing. just because there wasnt anything wrong this time doesnt mean the next time will be the same. would you rather you spent a hundred bucks and find out your dog was dying?? you should be glad it was a "waste" of money.

obviously you care about your dog more than the normal person. im mean you're in this forum for crying out loud. taking dogs to the vet is just another form of caring about your dog. i admit when i first had rod i was taking him to the vet for everything. but at least now i know what most things i can treat on my own and have a knowledge of what the vet needs to know. its all part of the learning experience.
Last edited by damienApbt on Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
damienApbt
Regulator

Next

Return to Health Issues