Mange question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Mange question

Postby jcd410 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:30 pm

Hi, all. I recently had a skin scraping done on my 4 mth old and the vet discovered that he has mange. I always thought my dog had dry skin ... He scratches himself so bad that he has some bald spots. Anyway, I was wondering on what a good price was on the dipping procedure. They are charging me $38 per dip times 5 dips, which total about $200. Is this a good price or should I seek treatment from another vet. Thanks alot guys.
jcd410

Postby pitbulliest » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:31 pm

Please don't smack me for this..but I do not know what mange is...
I KNOW I KNOW... :bully: <--- me on the left
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pocketpit » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:37 pm

It's not a bad price where I live. Most of the time a good medicated shampoo and a nail trim are included. And that stuff REEKS! You don't want it in your house, trust me.
I would ask your vet however about skipping the dips and trying Ivermectin treatments instead. Just he have localized mange (just a few spots) or generalized mange (all over his body)? That will determine what course of action is needed. If you do a search on here you'll find a lot of threads on mange and more helpful information.
pocketpit

Postby Maximus » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:54 pm

Pitbulliest, mange is an infestation of microscopic dermal mites. The two main culprits are sarcoptic mange mites and demodectic mange mites, and they manifest and are treated very differently.

Sarcoptic mange is highly contagious between dogs (like fleas) and causes terrible itching/scabbing/scaliness. Sarcoptic mites can also affect humans, though our folicles aren't ideal for their life-cycles, so they can't sustain and reproduce. It's highly treatable, though, and if you use something like Revolution for heartworm prevention, chances are your dog's protected against it.

Demodectic mange (or demodex) is trickier. Demodectic mites are present in all dogs, but dogs with healthy immune systems can keep them in check, so to speak, so it's not really considered contagious. So if a dog's immune system is compromised (or not fully developed, which is why it's much more common in younger dogs), the mites wreak havoc. Sometimes it's very localized (it showed up as a nickel-sized bald circle on my Chico's face), and sometimes it can be very generalized, causing hair loss on very large portions of the body. It's tricky because you have to deal with the infestation and the underlying problem (a weak immune system) at the same time. And, though localized demodex is pretty common in pups, if it gets bad enough it could be an indication of a life-long problem.

*Clears throat and steps down from podium* lol :))

jcd410, if your pup's demodex (it is demodex, right?) is localized, I'd be very wary of doing a dip right away. What you need to do is kick-start your puppy's immune system (salmon oil is very good for this). And if he's itching a lot, there could be a secondary infection that may need to be treated with antibiotics. How much hair loss has there been?

Like I said, Chico had demodex a few months ago, and it showed up as a small, round bald spot on his face. The vet gave me Goodwinol, a topical ointment for it, which I used for about a week. Then I just watched him carefully. It went away on its own. Maybe Jessa will see this and join in the conversation. I know she's been dealing off and on with a much more difficult case with Baloo.
Maximus

mange

Postby texas pit stop » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:58 am

homeopathic mange treatment: By the Planet .com check it out. My pup had the sarcoptic type mange mite and this is how I finally got rid of it. I used the neem oil products.
texas pit stop

Postby JessaNGizmo » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:45 pm

What type of mange is it? I have been dealing with Baloo's Demodex Mange one and off since April and the foster mom dealt with it since she got him in December....Its on going let us know and we will help you better!
Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Postby PitBullPride » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:46 am

Thats a good price for dips I believe...all the vets ive worked with charge about 60 bucks per mitaban dip....thats if it's for demodex.....
PitBullPride

Postby pitbulliest » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:41 pm

Maximus wrote:Pitbulliest, mange is an infestation of microscopic dermal mites. The two main culprits are sarcoptic mange mites and demodectic mange mites, and they manifest and are treated very differently.

Sarcoptic mange is highly contagious between dogs (like fleas) and causes terrible itching/scabbing/scaliness. Sarcoptic mites can also affect humans, though our folicles aren't ideal for their life-cycles, so they can't sustain and reproduce. It's highly treatable, though, and if you use something like Revolution for heartworm prevention, chances are your dog's protected against it.

Demodectic mange (or demodex) is trickier. Demodectic mites are present in all dogs, but dogs with healthy immune systems can keep them in check, so to speak, so it's not really considered contagious. So if a dog's immune system is compromised (or not fully developed, which is why it's much more common in younger dogs), the mites wreak havoc. Sometimes it's very localized (it showed up as a nickel-sized bald circle on my Chico's face), and sometimes it can be very generalized, causing hair loss on very large portions of the body. It's tricky because you have to deal with the infestation and the underlying problem (a weak immune system) at the same time. And, though localized demodex is pretty common in pups, if it gets bad enough it could be an indication of a life-long problem.

*Clears throat and steps down from podium* lol :))

jcd410, if your pup's demodex (it is demodex, right?) is localized, I'd be very wary of doing a dip right away. What you need to do is kick-start your puppy's immune system (salmon oil is very good for this). And if he's itching a lot, there could be a secondary infection that may need to be treated with antibiotics. How much hair loss has there been?

Like I said, Chico had demodex a few months ago, and it showed up as a small, round bald spot on his face. The vet gave me Goodwinol, a topical ointment for it, which I used for about a week. Then I just watched him carefully. It went away on its own. Maybe Jessa will see this and join in the conversation. I know she's been dealing off and on with a much more difficult case with Baloo.

Ahh..thank you for that very well written detailed information :)
By the way..your avatar scares the living poop out of me.. lol looks like Chucky's sister or something..
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby brandon » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:44 pm

hi, i just found out today that my 1yr. old male apbt has demodectic mange. i didnt notice any hair loss. hes always had thin hair around the corners of his mouth and noise. but my vet charges 20.00 per dip.
brandon

Return to Health Issues