bad things in dog food/good things

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

bad things in dog food/good things

Postby damienApbt » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:19 pm

what to look for??

what are the bad things??

what are the good things??

i know corn is bad. and what distinguishes a lot of the good from the bad.

as well as by-products. and the word "flavor" is a bad thing too right??

take IAMS and Eukanuba.. which ingredients are exactly the same minus the chicken fat that Euk. contains.

1.corn meal
2.ground sorghum...what is that by the way?
3.chicken by-product
4.whole grain...is this a good or bad one?
5.barley...??
6."fish" meal
7.chicken "flavor"

sounds to me to be absolutely horrible.

but then Royal Canin..which has been suggested

1.chicen meal
2.brewer rice
3.brown rice
4.chicken fat
5.com gluten meal ...????edited..im a dumbass..."corn" not com now i know
6.chicken flavor
12."fish" oil

im soooo confused.

as far as "meal" products. thats just the meat cooked at high temp to extract the fat and use only the meat left over. but then they add the fat in later. i gues so its not a top ingredient??? im soo lost.
Last edited by damienApbt on Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby Maximus » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:21 am

sor·ghum n.
1. An Old World grass (Sorghum bicolor), several varieties of which are widely cultivated as grain and forage or as a source of syrup.
2. Syrup made from the juice of this plant.

(Bot.) (a) A genus of grasses, properly limited to two species, Sorghum Halepense, the Arabian millet, or Johnson grass, and S. vulgare, the Indian millet. (b) A variety of Sorghum vulgare, grown for its saccharine juice; the Chinese sugar cane.

A fancy way of saying saccharine?

And I'm just as confused as you are when it comes to food.
Maximus

sorguhmn

Postby texas pit stop » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:53 am

Sorguhmn is a type of cane used here in the deep south to make sorguhmn mollasses.
texas pit stop

Postby turtle » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:42 am

Here are some useful sites with lots of dog food info:

This one has tons of info, here is the home page:

http://www.doberdogs.com/menu.html

Their pages on what's in dog food are a good ones:

http://www.doberdogs.com/foodcht1.html

http://www.doberdogs.com/foodcht2.html

Other pages on that site compare the different foods and also there is a good page on poisons.

Another article to read is this one about dog food and what is in it:

http://www.homevet.com/petcare/foodbook.html

Those sites should answer most questions. I burned my hand so I am not typing much these days....

I feed Innova and CA Natural dry foods mixed half and half, and I supplement with raw chicken wings. Works for my dog but each dog is different. There are quite a few high quality kibbles on the market so one should be able to find one which suits your dog.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby damienApbt » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:40 pm

those links to doberdog..i've had for a while. i've been researching that whole site and its very good.

that article however was quite disturbing. it basically listed the same terms and definitions. but he went into each meaning of the definition. not too sure what his goal was. is he telling us to not buy dog food any more?

there are some quality food out there. i wonder if if he thinks they are ALL using the same process. i wonder if we'll ever know whats really inside the meat and bone meal.. hmmm.. very gross

thanks for posting that
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby Leslie H » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:11 pm

First of all EEEWWWWW!
Secondly, Dr Jeff (homevet) is Xanny's vet. No wonder he had me put her on raw food right away.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby damienApbt » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:16 pm

dog food i know is good.. the following contain no corn and have chicken, beef, lamb or fish as primary ingredients.

california natural
canidae
innova
wellness
royal canin.
timber wolf organic

and these i havent heard of but have the same characteristics of those prior.. what do you think of these?? have you heard of them??

natural blend
evolve
pinnacle:although its limited to certain states..wierd.
kirkland kibble: i couldnt find a website for them but doberdogs.com lists it..scroll down to "k"
FarMore pet food: this one sounds really really good
Last edited by damienApbt on Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby pitbulliest » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:19 pm

I don't find anything necessarily wrong with brown rice or barley...I dunno about the other stuff though..I know wellness doesn't have corn or wheat..
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby damienApbt » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:27 pm

pitbulliest wrote:I don't find anything necessarily wrong with brown rice or barley...I dunno about the other stuff though..I know wellness doesn't have corn or wheat..

yeah i did some further research after my 1st post. you're right.. rice and barley arent bad at all. some people are concerned about the brewers rice, i know that. but say if the first ingredient is chicken but followed by 3 or 4 different types of rice that puts rice as the primary ingredient..plus after you process the chicken it loses a lot of its weight so it would sink even further on the list.

im still learning how to figure out and pick through the good and bad things about foods.

edited to add....wow, after i did some research all freekin day, i look like a complete idiot in my first post. i feel so much smarter now. i didnt know i could learn so much. i have to write it all down or else ill forget. "i have this condition"
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby damienApbt » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:06 pm

son of a b#%#...im guilty..sorry mods...im horrible. i didnt even notice some of this info in the perfect diet thread. :oops:

what can i say?? :dunno:

any way ....there is still some good info here to if you want to transfer it.. but i still want some opinions on the food i listed :tongue:
damienApbt
Regulator

Return to Health Issues