Barf diet with a pup

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Barf diet with a pup

Postby Madhatter » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:28 pm

my baby is 5 weeks today i have had him for 5 days. I have him early because the mother was having trouble taking care of the litter of 12!!!

Anyway.... i want to get him started off right. Currently he is eating Purina puppy chow which is what he was weened off the mom on. What age is appropriate to start on the Barf diet?

I am already head over heels for my lil pup and want only the best for him. Any suggestions on how to get him started right? I have already done the research on WHAT to feed him.... I am just unsure of HOW to start him off at this age...

thanks in advance from me and my baby
Madhatter

Postby ajarvis » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:28 am

I have no advice but that pup is so sweet! Just had to say that... :)
ajarvis

Postby Madhatter » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:18 pm

:) thanks. i think he's the cutest dog i've ever seen! I posted a thread with more pics if you want to check them out:
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5274

still no replies about feeding a baby the barf diet... maybe i should have been a little more specific... So here is the sum of my concerns in the form of a new question:

Is it ok to start him off with chicken backs and turkey necks at this age (5 weeks)?
Madhatter

Postby ajarvis » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:36 pm

That pic of him in your hand is adorable! I'd I can't say for sure since I have never fed a raw diet before, but from everything I've read it should be fine. Some people wean them on a raw diet from day one. The people I've talked to said the ratios aren't too important for a young pup becaus of how fast they'll grow. Here is a yahoo group all about raw feeding. If you post your question there I'm sure you'll get an answer.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

I've just been reading there since I don't have a dog to feed yet lol
ajarvis

Postby Madhatter » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:22 pm

cool thanks for the link.
Madhatter

Return to Health Issues