wound care question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
lovemylucy
Super Bully

wound care question

Postby lovemylucy » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:06 pm

i do not know if this is the right section, but i need some info..........tonight lucy (my female) bit my chihuahau mix (sp) althoughthey are always seperated...............

molly has two puncture woulnd on the inside of her chest.....they stopped bleeding fairly fast with pressure, but one looks sort of deep...i cleaned, bandaged and wrapped and put her in her kennel to rest.......does anyone have experience with this type of wound they can offer some info.......what to watch for...anything? i am so upset right now.

my friend did not shut my patio door all the way and when i was in the backyard with lucy my lil molly ran out and basically attacked lucy (which is why they are seperated) molly has always been agressive with lucy........this is my fault because i should have checked the door my self!!!!!!

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:22 pm

How deep are the wounds? Do you have any wound flushing solution at home?What did you use to clean up?Deep wounds need a flushing because bacterias can stay inside. I would get a flushing solution from a vet and possibly some antibiotic packing gel to put inside.
For puncture wounds it would be better to let the body to clean it out itself.But then again when the healing starts some bacterias can be trapped.That is why a flushing solution comes handy.
If there is any infection you will see it soon as the area start becoming red, hot at the touch and swollen.It would be best to take the dog to a vet and at least get a good cleaning.Once a puncture wound becomes infected you end up with not so nice vet bills.

lovemylucy
Super Bully

Postby lovemylucy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:08 am

red, thank you for your response..............one puncture wound is pretty deep..... i cleaned it out with peroxide and then soaked gauze in ioding and covered the wound with with a breathable surgical tape....when you say itis better ot let the body clean it out itself does that mean i should not cover it?

dickybird
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dickybird » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:28 am

Tucker has had some pretty bad puncture wounds from being attacked. We just let them heal themselves and if anything looked infected we would soak it with warm water and epsom salts to draw out any infection. They have always healed up nicely. I have heard that some vets won't stitch up puncture wounds in case of infection.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:08 pm

I've dealt with some gruesome puctures. One was more than 6 inches deep. Flushing and antibiotics are the key to treating them. 3x a day flushing and making sure no infection set in.

lovemylucy
Super Bully

Postby lovemylucy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:12 pm

thanks for the advice and info..............just got back from hospital......i couldn't trust that what i was doing would be enough and i was afraid molly would suffer so i took her to the ER VEt....she had surgery...sutures, and a drain put in.....i feel so bad....this was all my fault and the only way i could live with myself is by getting the care she deserves..............thanks for your replies

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:05 pm

...this was all my fault and the only way i could live with myself is by getting the care she deserves.....

It was an accident and you took care of it in the right way. :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”