Fleas

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Fleas

Postby mnp13 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:30 am

YUK!

Both dogs and both cats have them... I put the Vet stuff on them yesterday (Advantix I think) and now they are all oily. Connor is having a reaction to it as well.

What natural remedies work? I know brewers yeast is supposed to keep them from biting.

Anything else?

Michelle
mnp13

Postby K » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:02 am

Garlic tablets or a small amount of fresh crushed garlic in the food...works here!!
K

Postby turtle » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:12 pm

Oh, fleas suck! Having lived in Florida for many years, that has to be the flea capitol of the US.

But if you are seeing lots of them, they have pretty well invaded and you need to get rid of them from the yard and the house was well as on the dogs & cats. Remember the fleas spend most of their time off the animals, so you may want to get a spray for the yard and something to treat your rugs inside.

I have had good results with feeding one small diced raw garlic clove every few days in my dog's food. Fresh garlic is much better than tablets or powder. The brewers yeast helps, too, but both of these take a bit of time to get into the animal's system. I know people who have used "Skin so Soft" from Avon and it is supposed to repel fleas.

A good flea & tick shampoo should get rid of the ones on the dogs and a flea comb will help you find the rest which are on the dog. Back to the garlic again, I have read that you can mix up garlic oil and water and use it as a spray on your dog to repel fleas, and the same with Tea Tree Oil. Just be careful to dilute the Tea Tree Oil a lot since it can be toxic if it is too strong.

I try to stay on top of fleas, if you start seeing them, there are probably hundreds more you don't see. It's a real battle when you have several pets. If you can get rid of them from the yard and house and then off the animals, you have pretty well won the battle!

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Erika » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:00 pm

Michelle, I hope you didnt apply Advantix to the cat too!!
Erika
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby PitBullPride » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:05 pm

I use Advantage.....but alot of people don't know that when you use Advantage, you have to bathe your dog in a soap-free shampoo.....
PitBullPride

Postby Hooligan » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:13 pm

I read that taking a cut up lemon and putting it in a pint jar, then pouring boiling water over it, letting it set overnight then spraying it on you dog, works. I have not tried it, but I am going to...the garlic thing has yet to work for me.
Hooligan

Postby concreterose » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:16 pm

I use fresh garlic, and like gf turtle said avon skin so soft works really good too.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby mnp13 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:54 pm

I used cat stuff for the cats. I don't remember the name of it though.
mnp13

Postby SKoth » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:05 pm

Michelle,
You can use frontline too. I like it a lot because it's h2o proof and despite popular belief it protects against fleas for almost two months. My guys has sensitive skin and didn't have a problem w/ it and it didn't leave him feeling oily. Just a thought!
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby JaquelineC » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:56 am

SKoth wrote:Michelle,
You can use frontline too. I like it a lot because it's h2o proof and despite popular belief it protects against fleas for almost two months. My guys has sensitive skin and didn't have a problem w/ it and it didn't leave him feeling oily. Just a thought!

I use Frontline Plus for all three of mine - They are a little greasy near the application spot for a day or two, but no big deal. I haven't had any adverse reactions from my kids, and it works great too...
JaquelineC

Postby turtle » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:09 am

Humm, I'd be careful with using Frontline. This earlier thread has a lot of interesting info about combating fleas and there is also info that the ingredients in Frontline can cause cancer.

Here's the thread:

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4336

I suppose I can go bump it up, it's good info. I have used the boric acid and it works. I will have to try the eucalyptus oil, I had it mixed up with Tea Tree Oil which is melaluca oil.

Littlefoot, how does the pennyroyal work? How do you use it?

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:21 pm

Thanks, Littlefoot, you had me scratching my head on what to do with it! I'll try some cumpled up and put a small amount under her blanket on her bed.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mnp13 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:44 pm

What is pennyroyal exactly?
mnp13

Postby pollypop » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:39 pm

Oddly enough, I just came across an article about flea control in the Summer 1997 issue of Celebrating Greyhounds magazine. I'm not going to type the whole thing up, because it's very long, and also I don't want to violate any copyright laws.

The article is called "Flea Products: How Dangerous Are They?" and is authored by Ross Becker. It appears in the Summer 1997, Vol 2 No 2 issue of Celebrating Greyhounds. It originally appeared in Good Dog Magazine, I think. The Dr Buck quoted is Dr. William Buck of the National Animal Poison Control Center.

The article warns about possible side effects from several of the flea remedies people have posted here.

Here is what it says about pennyroyal oil:

"We get more cases from pennyroyal oil than you would expect, considering the relatively small amount being used," Dr Buck says. "It's a case of 'just because it's natural doesn't mean it's safe.' Scorpions and rattlesnakes are natural"

Pennyroyal poisonings often occur when the pet owner puts too many drops of oil on the "natural" collar. The first hour, the animal is listless. The second hour, vomiting begins. Sometimes the vomit is bloody. Bloody diarrhea frequently accompanies, as pennyroyal oil cayses severe irritation of the GI tract. Next, central nervous system depression occurs, sometimes followed by seizures.

Pennyroyal also causes vasodilation, which lowers the blood pressure. That leads to a lower body temperature. If the animal survives this much, it will suffer from liver necrosis -- permanent liver damage.

Pennyroyal poisoning can be pretty rough on dogs, but a treatment is available.

Boric acid/Borax:

Boric acid and other borates can be hazardous. Dr Buck says, "It has a reputation for being innocuous, but that is not true. If you have cats, and you put down Borax in the kitchen, and your cat walks through it and licks it off her paws, your cat can have renal failure and other organ damage. I think there are more hazards with the borates than with using insecticides like malathion!"

Boric acid, according to one study, is considerably more toxic than growth regulators. Dr Buck says, "Borate passes through the body and is not metabolized, so when it gets to the renal tubules, it damages the tubules."

Both major producers of borax have urged the EPA to refuse registration of borates for use on household carpets. Borax stays around the house for a long time, and one study showed that borax can cause reproductive problems in laboratory animals.

Don't use ordinary borax or boric acid on your carpets or where your pets can walk through it. And don't breathe the dust, which can be hazardous for people, animals, and computer equipment.

On Linalool and d-limonene:

Linalool is a natural product, an extract from citrus fruit. The idea of using citrus fruit goes back about 11 years, when a company came out with a natural product for dipping cats. NAPCC started getting calls about cats dying from it. One veterinarian tried it according to directions, with 3 cats. One cat died within three days, another was very sick, and the third was fine. That product was quickly pulled from the market.

The current versions, d-limonene and linalool, are newer synthesized versions of those original citrus extracts. In tests with d-limonene (up to 15 times the recommended dose), the effects were some skin irritations and low body temperature. Cats may tremble from the low body temperature. Dogs have, in some cases, responded negatively, and a few dogs have died. Still, Dr Buck suggests that d-limonene and linalool are probably more safe than the organophosphates and carbamates.

The worst results with citrus extracts have come from homemade versions made from orange peels or other citrus peelings. Homemade verysions can be very toxic to both dogs and cats.

A section of the article entitled "Safer Choices" lists methoprene, pyriproxyfen, lufenuron, nematodes (to be applied directly to the ground outdoors), imidacloprid, fipronyl, esbiothrin, and sodium polyborate as less toxic flea control options. This article is copyright 1996, so I'm sure that new research has been conducted since then, and some of the information may be out of date.

However, still, quite a lot of info.

Personally, I am always wary of using the so-called "natural" remedies on myself or my pets. "Natural," unfortunately, doesn't necessarily mean "safe." Unlike with pharmaceuticals, it's hard to find real, hard research on the safety and efficacy of holistic remedies. I'd rather my pets were not accidentally turned into guinea pigs or casualties of untested products. :sad:
pollypop

Postby pollypop » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:45 pm

mnp13 wrote:What is pennyroyal exactly?

Pennyroyal is a plant, a member of the mint family. It is used for various purposes including flea and tick repellent and as an abortifacient, but can be quite toxic if misused.

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/p/pennyr23.html
http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/faqs/med ... royal.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract
http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WS ... dmtContent
pollypop

Return to Health Issues