You can use frontline too. I like it a lot because it's h2o proof and despite popular belief it protects against fleas for almost two months. My guys has sensitive skin and didn't have a problem w/ it and it didn't leave him feeling oily. Just a thought!
"We get more cases from pennyroyal oil than you would expect, considering the relatively small amount being used," Dr Buck says. "It's a case of 'just because it's natural doesn't mean it's safe.' Scorpions and rattlesnakes are natural"
Pennyroyal poisonings often occur when the pet owner puts too many drops of oil on the "natural" collar. The first hour, the animal is listless. The second hour, vomiting begins. Sometimes the vomit is bloody. Bloody diarrhea frequently accompanies, as pennyroyal oil cayses severe irritation of the GI tract. Next, central nervous system depression occurs, sometimes followed by seizures.
Pennyroyal also causes vasodilation, which lowers the blood pressure. That leads to a lower body temperature. If the animal survives this much, it will suffer from liver necrosis -- permanent liver damage.
Pennyroyal poisoning can be pretty rough on dogs, but a treatment is available.
Boric acid and other borates can be hazardous. Dr Buck says, "It has a reputation for being innocuous, but that is not true. If you have cats, and you put down Borax in the kitchen, and your cat walks through it and licks it off her paws, your cat can have renal failure and other organ damage. I think there are more hazards with the borates than with using insecticides like malathion!"
Boric acid, according to one study, is considerably more toxic than growth regulators. Dr Buck says, "Borate passes through the body and is not metabolized, so when it gets to the renal tubules, it damages the tubules."
Both major producers of borax have urged the EPA to refuse registration of borates for use on household carpets. Borax stays around the house for a long time, and one study showed that borax can cause reproductive problems in laboratory animals.
Don't use ordinary borax or boric acid on your carpets or where your pets can walk through it. And don't breathe the dust, which can be hazardous for people, animals, and computer equipment.
Linalool is a natural product, an extract from citrus fruit. The idea of using citrus fruit goes back about 11 years, when a company came out with a natural product for dipping cats. NAPCC started getting calls about cats dying from it. One veterinarian tried it according to directions, with 3 cats. One cat died within three days, another was very sick, and the third was fine. That product was quickly pulled from the market.
The current versions, d-limonene and linalool, are newer synthesized versions of those original citrus extracts. In tests with d-limonene (up to 15 times the recommended dose), the effects were some skin irritations and low body temperature. Cats may tremble from the low body temperature. Dogs have, in some cases, responded negatively, and a few dogs have died. Still, Dr Buck suggests that d-limonene and linalool are probably more safe than the organophosphates and carbamates.
The worst results with citrus extracts have come from homemade versions made from orange peels or other citrus peelings. Homemade verysions can be very toxic to both dogs and cats.
mnp13 wrote:What is pennyroyal exactly?
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests