anyone make homemade dog treats?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

anyone make homemade dog treats?

Postby rosiegirl » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:59 am

Thats what I did this weekend. The most vile icky thing ever!!!!! :yucky: I don't know what I was thinking. I don't recommend making anything out of liver.

Just wanted to tell you guys, just in case you feel like trying this too.
I thought I would try making some homemade "liver brownies" from a recipe I found online. Ugh. My house still stinks. Rosie really enjoys them though! Take 3 lbs of liver and process it in the food processer,icky slimy runny liver goo, and then add some garlic, eggs, flour and parmesan cheese. Yummy for the doggies, double ick yuck for the people.
Luckily the recipe made about a years worth of brownies, so I don't have to buy special expensive treats for a long time. After the brownies were cooked I had to take them outside to cool because they stunk so bad, and I swear they attracted a swarm of flies so I had to cover them up. ugh.
rosiegirl

Postby Hooligan » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:26 am

roflmao

I really would like to make my own dog treats too (for the dogs, of course) but I don't think I will try your recipe. Just the ingredients sound gross....even with out the liver goo descriptions! :yucky:
Hooligan

Postby barbponys » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:22 pm

roflmao
That's hilarious!!!!! That's how I make my liver treats, have for years. Except instead of flour I add oregano. The dogs go poop for them. The cat has burned himself trying to eat them before they are cooled too.

Cheap, healthy and anything I can give dogs and cat..........a keeper in my book.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby CinderDee » Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:29 am

This is a really dumb question, but what temp do you cook them on and how long?

(Obviously, I don't cook!)

Thanks!
CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Postby barbponys » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:02 pm

Hey Dee,
Not so dumb, trial and error here lol . I bake them at 350 for 20 minutes in a well greased caserole dish, take them out, cut them into bite sizes and cook for another 10 minutes. I do 2-3 pounds of liver at a time, 1 egg per pound, 2 cloves of garlic (total) and about 2 teaspoons of oregano.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby AllAmericanPUP » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:09 pm

I have made homeade treats in the past but never live ones lol.
Liver grosses me out anyhow
There are tons of recipes that don't require liver lol
AllAmericanPUP

Postby CinderDee » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:04 pm

Hi Pat!

Thanks so much! :peace:

Kato's going to flip for these, although I may :yucky: making them...LOL
CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Postby Hooligan » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:21 pm

I found these recipes...and they don't sound too bad!
Its sad, I am willing (and excited) to cook treats for my dogs....but my bf gets left out in the cold, as far as baking goes!

http://www.twodogpress.com/twodogpress/dogfood.html
Hooligan

Return to Health Issues