Growing pains

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Growing pains

Postby Alpha_Male » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:59 pm

Friday night, when i took Al out of his kennel when i got home from work, i discovered he was limping...

He was in his kennel pretty much the whole day, while i was at work. which is normal. we leave around 9:30 and my gf gets home between 2 and 4.

His kennel is plenty big enough for him to lay down and stetch out. So, I dont' think he's just cramped up.

He hasn't been playing rough with the other dogs or anything at the house.

The only thing i can figure is that he's starting/going through a growth spurt or soemthing. He's 6 months old today. i weighed him a few days ago, he's 48 pounds, i'm not sure how tall he is.. not even positive how to measure that...

after he walks around a bit, it seems to loosen up. I've bent and stretched his leg/shoulder. He never yelps, never seems to be in any pain. he just limps.

It's gotten a bit better since friday. It's barely noticable today.

Just curious if anyone knows much about this? It's been a while since i had a puppy.
Alpha_Male

Growing pains

Postby Maryellen » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:06 pm

it could be pano (i cant remember how to spell the long version) its like growing pains in dogs. my GSD had this fromthe time she was 6 months old to 9 months old., it has to do with the bones growing faster. i put her on rimadyl from the vets examination and xrays and stuff and kept her on light duty for a couple of months. now she is fine with the exception of hip displasia, but i give her joint supplements so you cant even notice it. and there is no proof that pano results in hip displasia. gsd's are just prone to hip displasia.
Maryellen

Re: Growing pains

Postby Alpha_Male » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:10 pm

Maryellen wrote:it could be pano (i cant remember how to spell the long version) its like growing pains in dogs. my GSD had this fromthe time she was 6 months old to 9 months old., it has to do with the bones growing faster. i put her on rimadyl from the vets examination and xrays and stuff and kept her on light duty for a couple of months. now she is fine with the exception of hip displasia, but i give her joint supplements so you cant even notice it. and there is no proof that pano results in hip displasia. gsd's are just prone to hip displasia.

I had growing pains really bad when i was around 8 or 9. so i feel for him. it hasn't dampened his spirits or anything. took him to the lake and let him play around and stuff saturday, he's just walking funny.

He's going to the vet to get nueterred next payday, so if it gets better in the next day or so, i guess he'll be alright til he goes in for his surgery anyway..
Alpha_Male

Return to Health Issues