Really slow hair regrowth -- what to do?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Really slow hair regrowth -- what to do?

Postby pollypop » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:28 pm

Nadja got spayed about six weeks ago, but the area that was shaved has barely regrown any hair. She's still very bald in the area. See this picture? It shows the baldness well. She's got a little bit of regrowth, but not much.

Supposedly she's ten. Do older dogs take longer to regrow hair? I don't remember Polly taking so long to grow hair back after her spay.

Is there anything I can do to help her regrow the hair faster? I guess it doesn't really bother me, but it looks strange and the slow rate of growth makes me worry a little. Also, I worry that her belly will get cold now that the weather is shifting towards autumn.
pollypop

Postby elegy » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:33 am

it took luce forever to grow back the fur on her belly, and she still is very sparse underneath. i don't know that there's much you can do to encourage it to grow.

maybe buy her a winter coat :))
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby pollypop » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:05 pm

She has a cute little sweater, but it doesn't quite fit over her gigantic chest. lol

http://www.muridae.org/dogs/nadja/stripey.jpg

I was wondering if there are some supplements that help hair regrow. Like maybe eggs or a vitamin or something of that sort?

I guess no one besides the two of us has had this experience, oh well. I'll email my vet and see if she has any suggestions.
pollypop

Postby Motodiva » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:21 pm

Libby took well over two months to grow back! i remember being so embarrased because it looked like I had her out 3 hours after her spay. Don't worry about it, I don't think you can get it to grow any faster.

It will come back, but other than the shave line dissappearing, she never really got much hair on her belly!

Sanya
Motodiva
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mnp13 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:50 am

In humans, B vitamins, especially Biotin, affect hair growth. I have no idea what the vitamin needs of dogs are though.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby turtle » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:28 pm

When my old dog had a gash on her side which required stitches, I used to put vitamin E on it and that seemed to help the hair come back in and reduce scarring. I just took a gel cap and cut a hole in them and rubbed it on the area. Even if she licked it off, it doesn't hurt anything. Her hair grew back nicely so you might want to try it.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby concreterose » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:32 pm

Pookie had her hair shaved off in that same area when she had her surgery earlier this summer. It took 2 good months for it to grow back to where it was as dark as her other hair (she and nadja are the same color too).
concreterose
Regulator

Postby Leslie H » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:03 pm

When Xanny got sick last fall, she got a rectangle shaved behind her head, high on her neck, where they did the spinal tap. Part of her illness included a very slow regrowth of hair, she was bald there for months. So very slow regrowth can be a symptom, but a couple months wouldn't freak me out.
Leslie H
Regulator

Return to Health Issues