Alternatives to rawhide & bully sticks?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Alternatives to rawhide & bully sticks?

Postby sundaygirl » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:47 pm

I'm looking for specifics here. Up until now we've only given Luther bully sticks/knots. But the last two times I've gave him the big double knotted 'macho knots' from sitstay.com, he ate them in one night - and swallowed some sizeable chunks of them. I'm not so worried about the chunks but they used to last him a lot longer.

We don't give him rawhide because I've read so many negative things about it causing blockages.

He has a big Galileo bone and a turkey leg from Nylabone - not interested in either of those. I give him food-stuffed Kongs once in a while but he won't chew on the Kong unless it's filled (and it doesn't take him too long to unstuff it!).

So - what do you give your dogs? I'm looking for something long-lasting, not too stinky or messy, and preferably not just cornstarch or some other filler. What about the ham/lamb/knuckle bones from Petco/Petsmart? Are they safe? I've heard they can splinter? What about fresh bones from the butcher? What do I ask for? Are they safe? I'll take as much detailed info as I can get. Thanks in advance!!
sundaygirl

Postby SKoth » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:54 pm

This isn't for chewing but when I leave my girls in their crates I like to give them kongs that are stuffed with peanut butter or liver paste and then frozen. It's sorta like a popsicle for dogs. And a lot cheaper than bones.
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby damienApbt » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:57 pm

i give rod a frozen raw beef bone. he goes at it for ever. other than that, he seems happy with my shoes and my girlfriends designer goods.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby Maximus » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:05 am

You can go to the butcher and ask for raw beef soup bones or marrow bones (preferably a femur or something substantial like that...some people have had bad experiences with rib bones). My kids love them. I don't know why I waited so long to give 'em a try. I give them to the puppers frozen and they clean them off pretty quickly, so they're not too messy or stinky, and once they get them clean, they last forever.

Raw marrow bones won't splinter and they'll last much longer than anything else; the knuckle bones from Petco are STINKY and probably covered in preservatives (and I don't know how safe they are, but maybe someone else does).
Maximus

Postby elegy » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:08 am

i use raw knuckle bones for luce. they do get kinda rank though. she can take care of a bully stick in about 45 minutes.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mnp13 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:48 am

Raw beef leg and knuckle bones are best. I would stay away from all pork bones (just my opinion). Ruby and Connor got raw rib bones once and they shattered them quite quickly.

Smoked or otherwise processed bones shatter esier than raw bones.

Michelle
mnp13

Thanks everyone!

Postby sundaygirl » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:53 am

Exactly the info I was looking for. We will be paying a visit to a butcher in the Strip District (I live in Pgh) very soon!
sundaygirl

Postby sundaygirl » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:07 am

Ok - dumb question. Is it ok if they eat the whole thing? Do I have to take it away from him at some point?? Told you it was dumb - I am a bit of a protective dog momma. . .
sundaygirl

Postby pollypop » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:20 am

That's not a dumb question at all!

Marrow bones are really hard, so my dogs generally don't eat them. They lick the marrow out and then chew on the bone for fun. I take the bone away once it's been cleaned and it's been lying around on my floor, ignored, for a few days. Neck bones or knuckle bones are a lot softer, and they chew little chunks off and eat them. Generally with them there's nothing left to take away.

In general, as long as the bone is raw, it's safe to leave it as long as you want. You don't need to take it away but eventually they'll become bored and you can chuck the bone and replace it with a new one.
pollypop

Postby barbponys » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:37 pm

I got a whole femur from a butcher last friday. I had him cut it into 3 pieces, when Denny took me to the airport we gave them to the dogs. They are still working on them, it cost me 12 bucks and they are HUGE. It keeps them busy and happy, they will get another one probably this weekend. Once they get all the flesh off them they just hang around, when they get too small we throw them out.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby JB » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:38 am

If you get a huge bone, it's fine if they eat it. If the bone is big enough, eating really just consists of nawing it down, which is totally fine. Just be warned that your dog might not be able to hold "it" after an evening of nawing, and the "it" will be all dry and chalky. At least that's what heppened with my mutt the first time I gave her a bone.
JB

Postby shella677 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:46 am

I've never been to a butcher shop, but might stop by there soon. What would I ask for. Say if I wanted 2 marrow bones. Would I just ask for 2 cow marrow bones? I don't want to sound stupid when I go in there, on here is dosent matter :) . And what size are the marrow bones you get from the butcher?
shella677

Postby blover27 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:51 am

shella677 wrote:I've never been to a butcher shop, but might stop by there soon. What would I ask for. Say if I wanted 2 marrow bones. Would I just ask for 2 cow marrow bones? I don't want to sound stupid when I go in there, on here is dosent matter :) . And what size are the marrow bones you get from the butcher?

great question....i wanted to post the same thing but was afraid to....didnt want to sound stupid :oops:
blover27

Postby JB » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:23 am

I just go in and ask for big huge beef bones for my dog. The butcher will probably ask if you want them cut up... just tell them you have a pit and it's better if they're not cut up.

I think most butchers have a couple dog people that bug them for bones, so just mention what they're for and they'll hook you up.

If it's a neighbourhood place that you're in regularily, they'll usually give you a couple bones a week for free.

The ones I get are usually 2 or 3 inches in diameter and a foot long.
JB

Postby damienApbt » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:40 am

JB wrote:
The ones I get are usually 2 or 3 inches in diameter and a foot long.

oooh..i want to go to your butcher.. quite the bone.. lol the ones i get are always smaller than that. i actually get them from the super market. theyre usually labeled as "beef stock bones". my dad is also a meat cutter so i get hooked up when i visit the parents.

what have you all heard about oxtail?? i know they aint cheap but what are the benefits and set backs??
damienApbt
Regulator

Next

Return to Health Issues