good dry food mixers

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
damienApbt

good dry food mixers

Postby damienApbt » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:05 am

just recently i've been investigating doggie nutrition. may be one day ill be as wise as pat on the subject. riiight.. any way since i havent committed to the raw food diet i've been experimenting what to mix with rod's dry food.

so far i've been adding a whole egg each night. shell and all.. he loves it.
eggs contain all the essential amino acids and have 100% biological value and the highest source of usable protien. even the shells are good for them. rods been showing great results with them.

i just started to add a tomato that i puree. we'll see how this one goes. he loves it. we'll see if its too acidic for him. so far so good.

what do you guys add?? what are the benefits??

Maryellen

dog food mixes

Postby Maryellen » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:10 am

i add to dry food grizzly salmon oil , natural balance pieces, carrots, Sea Meal, glucosomine pills,green beans, sometimes steak, fish, chicken. rice. eggs but no shells though. i never knew you could addthe shell in too. how does rod eat it? do you grind it all together or just dump it in and stir it around? i put everything in and just stir with a spoon.

texas pit stop

food with kibble

Postby texas pit stop » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:25 am

McDooser gets an egg over easy each morning with a Big cup of Canidae. I just started this a few days ago after he was especially good about not begging while I was eating breakfast.

Vitaliy

Postby Vitaliy » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:49 pm

After he is done with his dog food he gets cottage-cheese, plain yogurt, salmon, raw chicken, or veggies.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:24 pm

Damien, be careful about feeding too much tomato. Pookie loves them, and I give small pieces to her, but I've read that tomato is a member of the nightshade family, and in large quantities can be toxic to dogs. She's been eating it for years and never had any kind of reaction, but she's never gotten than more than a quarter of a whole tomato.

I add glucosamine (Synflex), salmon oil preserved with vitamin e, milk thistle, ester c, sea meal, and fresh garlic every other day. They also get plain organic yogurt, a couple tablespoons. I used to give pookie an egg every day and stopped when I was watching her weight. Maybe I'll start back giving them one, her coat was awesome with it.

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:40 pm

lol ok.. that does it for the tomato. it was in my fridge so i gave it to him. it was a small one though :oops:

i just throw the egg in the bowl with the food and smack it with a spoon then stir it around. i read the shell is high in calcium carbonate which is supposed to be good for the teeth... who knew.. i was surprised rod didnt play with the shell pieces he just nibbled it and ate it.

im definitely going to buy some grizzly salmon oil or maybe timberwolf's wild salmon oil. we'll see.

Demo Dick

Postby Demo Dick » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:49 pm

Let me know if you get a source for good, cheap salmon oil Damien. It's a bitch to find around here, and I'd like very much to add it to Connor's diet.

Demo Dick

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:53 pm

Demo Dick wrote:Let me know if you get a source for good, cheap salmon oil Damien. It's a bitch to find around here, and I'd like very much to add it to Connor's diet.

Demo Dick

im going to start checking out local health stores similar to gnc. last time i went in there looking for salmon oil they were trying to get me to join. they lost interest when i said it was for my dog.

Demo Dick

Postby Demo Dick » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:59 pm

I've used Barlean's Flax in the past but salmon oil does better for EPA/DHA. For some reason, even the Damn Dirty Hippie Soynut Earthfood Store here doesn't carry it.

Demo Dick

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:46 pm

Doesn't Barleans also offer salmon oil? I thought I saw that somewhere on their site. I could just as well be losing my mind though.

Demo Dick

Postby Demo Dick » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:58 pm

I vote for option number two. LOL. Their flax is really good though. I use it myself. Udo's choice is an excellent, but pricey option as well.

Demo Dick

rosiegirl

Postby rosiegirl » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:18 am

I add an egg to the wellness kibble every now and then. Sometimes I give her tuna fish or some merrick canned food, and usually a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.

JessaNGizmo

Postby JessaNGizmo » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:57 pm

With the egg, do it for a week, only the egg and keep the shell in a bag and let it dry. Crush the egg shell to powderish consitancy that way it will be digested, I dont think a doggies (let alone ours) tummy can digest it unless its powder...Dunno thats what I read! LOL
Jessa

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:32 am

Ditto on the Salmon oil. I supplement canned Salmon because I can't find the oil cheap and the dogs go bonkers for fish of anykind. The hippie free-range bread for silly $ stores have it but I won't pay that.

Eggs make a huge difference in my dogs coats and skin. they get one every other day.

I add in yogurt for keeping the digestive tract loaded up with pro-biotics.

I add in garlic for flea control and benefits with blood.

I put in Ester-C sometimes but want to try some organic fruits soon instead.

Daisy is bad about drinking enough water and prone to UT infections. So for the past few weeks I have been adding a cup or two of hot water to her Wellness and letting form a broth. She loves it and her skin looks better from the hydration.

Raw hamburger is always a hit. I use really lean organic meat, especailly if I am giving it to them.

I am going to start experimenting with some doggie alternative to ice cream soon. They just sit and drool all over my damn leg like the crack heads they are for the stuff, if I eat ice cream. I figure that I can just get some more citrus and vitamins in them if I make them treats.

duckzilla

Postby duckzilla » Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:37 pm

Hey Dick, I thought I was the only one who still used "damn dirty hippie!" Great stuff. We could use DDH for short, you know like DH or DW, or all that nonsense! roflmao

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

Damien, check out this post---^ :nana: for some more fun, yet enlightening approaches to diets and the likes. Some very interesting responses. I didn't notice the "ears" in there so I hope this helps you on your quest.

I had a question crop up just now so I'm editing. Does anyone mix fruit in their dogs foods? Or in general really... My dog won't eat fresh fruit, or veggies except carrot. She'll just kinda sniff and walk away very disinterested... she'll usally come back with her squeaker ball. :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”