good dry food mixers

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
concreterose

Postby concreterose » Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:10 pm

duckzilla wrote:Does anyone mix fruit in their dogs foods? Or in general really... My dog won't eat fresh fruit, or veggies except carrot. She'll just kinda sniff and walk away very disinterested... she'll usally come back with her squeaker ball

My girls looove fruit. It's funny because my oldest bitch would never eat it. I started giving the pup fruit when she was about 14 weeks because she had a compromised immune system from parvo and ghiardia. She eats whatever fruit I eat, but goes bananas over bananas roflmao
Anyway, the old girl is so greedy that she started eating fruit just so the pup couldn't get it all! They eat apples, oranges, watermelon, banana, peaches...you name it. The only thing they don't get real excited about is blueberries, so I mash them up with a bit of banana and they scarf them down. I mash fruit with a couple tablespoons of plain yogurt and stuff their kongs with it and they love it.

If you dog is picky, try mixing fruit with a meat or cheese treat that they really like a little bit at a time, and increase the fruit portion bit by bit.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:45 pm

Good post Moto. I use most of the same things in my dog's dry food. I also have a bitch who does not drink as much water as I'd like so I feed the dry food mixed with warm water. She loves that and it's an easy way to get more water into her. I often have leftover chicken broth and pot lickker (water added to a cooking pan after you made your own meal) and she gets those too for extra moisture.

I also add powdered kelp a few times a week, it has lots of healthy minerals and is good for the thyroid. Cheapest place to buy it is at a health food store.

I get Omega fish oil from KV Vet and it's not very costly. They also have Salmon oil so I'm getting that in my next order.

I buy my flax seed oil in a bottle at Wal Mart, it's for people but the bottle lasts a long time when kept in the fridge and its a good additive to dog food.

And I add about a tablespoon or so of apple cider vinegar to her food a few times a week, it's good for urinary problems in female dogs and again has healthy minerals. Use the organic one with the "mother" in it. And cranberry pills help urinary problems, too.

And I have been supplementing my dog's diet with raw meat, she gets that for her morning meal.

I read some discussions by Pat (barbponys) who had good results doing this and I've tried it for about 5 months now. I see a huge difference in my dog's coat, her breath is better, her muscle tone is better, all around it has been a healthy improvement. I feed raw chicken wings, raw chicken necks, backs, partial quarters, as well as lamb neck parts and veal neck parts. Since I feed this in the morning, there are about 8 hours before her evening meal. That's a point to remember since raw & kibble digest at different rates so you don't want to feed them too close together.

duckzilla

Postby duckzilla » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:42 pm

OOH some great ideas! Thanks concreterose for those gems! :nana: :yay:
The kong stuffing, I've stuffed it with everything BUT yogurt. I couldn't tell you how I missed that one!

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:18 pm

My homeopathic vet is the one who has me giving Xanny 1 raw egg a day, I just crack it and let it mix w/her raw food and she eats it, no problem.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:48 pm

bump

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:58 pm

Eggs, salmon oil, fruits if im eating them, veggies if im cooking them, and will be adding synflex or something for joints soon. Yogurt if he is gassy or has runs.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:32 pm

salmon oil to kibble and sometimes sardines.

Things I add to raw:
Sea kelp
vitamin C
salmon oil
vitamin E
powdered eggshells if the meat is boneless

pitbullcrazy30
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitbullcrazy30 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:27 pm

i add salmon oil, fish oil, shark cartilidge, and a whole cracked egg to brunos raw meal, hes doing great on it

Pipbull
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Pipbull » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:46 pm

pitbullcrazy30 wrote:shark cartilidge

Do what now?

chiefraven
Super Bully

Postby chiefraven » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:37 pm

excellent thread guys.... what's the sea kelpt for?

i feed my mia timberolves organics + salmon oil everyday. and sometimes veggies if i have some. When it comes to food, she does not discriminate. she will even eat pieces of veggies from my salad... spinach and all.

i also feed her whatever fruits i am eating at the moment. and from my experience, her favorite is the watermelon, and the only fruit she does not like is oranges ( she'll maybe eat one, but i suspect she does not like fruits that are too acidic)

And once in a while i would feed her plain yogurt. I just read about fresh garlics and sea kelp so i will try adding these two to her diet. what's the sea kelp for exactly?

Return to “Health Issues”