safest chews?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
dr961
Super Bully

safest chews?

Postby dr961 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:14 pm

What are the best and safest things for pit bulls to chew? My dogs aren't interested in kongs or other rubber toys unless they have ropes on them and someone is tugging with them. They will lick at a peanut butter smeared kong for maybe 5 minutes, but that's it. They like nylabones, but get lots of little pieces off which they later puke up. Also, their gums bleed when chewing nylabones. Small bully sticks or rawhide chips or sticks go down way too fast, and I'm afraid to give them large rawhides because of my fear they'll swallow big hunks. Same with greenies or real raw bones. I've seen smoked beef bones, but they seem really hard and I can imagine broken teeth or again, big hunks swallowed.

On rainy days, I'd like to give my dogs something to chew that would occopy them for maybe half an hour or so, but don't know what.

Amhailte

Postby Amhailte » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:18 pm

Real raw beef cannonbones are great. Never had a problem with them, and the dogs love them. They're about the only thing I'll leave my SBT to eat when I'm away from the house, since I know the chances of him choking are miniscule.

Otherwise, have you tried stuffing your kong with other things? Cream cheese, cheddar cheese, sausage meat, dog roll, mince, etc?

Or how about getting them a treat ball (you put treats in the ball, the dog pushes the ball round and the treats fall out the holes)?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:13 am

The best chew toys are given while under supervision. There is no such thing as a perfectly safe chew toy.

My personal preference is pressed rawhide, large bully sticks (canes are the best), and raw soup bones (my grocery store doesn't sell knuckle bones).

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:36 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:The best chew toys are given while under supervision. There is no such thing as a perfectly safe chew toy.

Amen! Speaking as the owner of a stupid dog who has choked on or swallowed almost every toy under the sun, including kongs and even frozen raw bones. Don't underestimate those pitbull jaws (its all that psi, hahaha).

That said, raw frozen beef knuckle bones that you can buy at some pet stores are great, as they rarely splinter and can't be actually eaten. My dog will chew one for hours, or days.

Kongs are a great toy, as long as they aren't tearing off bits and swallowing them.

I also like bully sticks, under supervision, since the small end can be choked on. (Can you tell my dog has had all of these problems?)

LazyDaisy
Forum Junky

Postby LazyDaisy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:51 pm

rednoseErnie wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:The best chew toys are given while under supervision. There is no such thing as a perfectly safe chew toy.

Amen! Speaking as the owner of a stupid dog who has choked on or swallowed almost every toy under the sun, including kongs and even frozen raw bones. Don't underestimate those pitbull jaws (its all that psi, hahaha).

That said, raw frozen beef knuckle bones that you can buy at some pet stores are great, as they rarely splinter and can't be actually eaten. My dog will chew one for hours, or days.

Kongs are a great toy, as long as they aren't tearing off bits and swallowing them.

I also like bully sticks, under supervision, since the small end can be choked on. (Can you tell my dog has had all of these problems?)

I know it must be a pain in reality but your stories of Ernie's "adventures" always crack me up. lol

I don't really let my dogs chew on anything without supervision either. I'm just too worried about choking. They seem to do well with knuckle steaks, and the frozen raw bones are great too. Daisy does good with horse hooves but Rosco chews them like potato chips then pukes them back up. :yucky:

dtp916
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby dtp916 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:04 pm

I have another question, does anyone know a safe AND soft chew (and duarable, might I add)? Or am I pushing my luck?

My dogs LOVE to sink their teeth into the springpole rope or kleenex (when I'm not paying attention).

Are there any toys or chews that are soft and will last, say, a few days?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:43 pm

dtp916 wrote:I have another question, does anyone know a safe AND soft chew (and duarable, might I add)? Or am I pushing my luck?

My dogs LOVE to sink their teeth into the springpole rope or kleenex (when I'm not paying attention).

I have an everlasting treat ball, and the rubber is surprisingly soft but is durable enough for my dog that DOES splinter raw bones.

pittiepride

Postby pittiepride » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:23 pm

My dogs love to chew deer antlers. Haven't had any splintering or cracking or breaking. they're hard, clean, natural.

Kara

dr961
Super Bully

Postby dr961 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:14 pm

dtp916 wrote:I have another question, does anyone know a safe AND soft chew (and duarable, might I add)? Or am I pushing my luck?

***My small male pit bull absolutely loves latex toys, esp. ones that are just the right ize for him to cram the whole thing inside his mouth. I always watch him closely when I let him have this toy, of course, as one time when I wasn't watching closely enough, he managed to chew the foot off a latex toy and swallow it--I followed him around for days watching for it to be pooped out, then finally found it puked up in the utility room.

His favorite latex toy is a cheap orange godzilla from WalMart--he doesn't try to tear it up, just seems to treat it like a huge wad if chewing gum. My other dog just trys to hold toys down and rip them up, so nothing works for her.

as to dogs not eating beef knuckle bones, my whippets did and so did my dobe. the dobe ate hers in just a few hours where the whippets toos a couple days and didn't get blocked up from theirs.

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:35 pm

dr961 wrote:as to dogs not eating beef knuckle bones, my whippets did and so did my dobe. the dobe ate hers in just a few hours where the whippets toos a couple days and didn't get blocked up from theirs.

Maybe I'm mislabelling the bone I'm talking about. It may not be a knuckle bone. There are many bones (beef or otherwise) that my dog can easily chew up, such as soup bones from the butcher. But there is one type of bone that Ernie absolutely can't break up- and truly, he is a hard, hard chewer. I would seriously doubt that other dogs can chew this bone. This is what I'm talking about, made by Natures Variety

LazyDaisy
Forum Junky

Postby LazyDaisy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:51 pm

rednoseErnie wrote:
dr961 wrote:as to dogs not eating beef knuckle bones, my whippets did and so did my dobe. the dobe ate hers in just a few hours where the whippets toos a couple days and didn't get blocked up from theirs.

Maybe I'm mislabelling the bone I'm talking about. It may not be a knuckle bone. There are many bones (beef or otherwise) that my dog can easily chew up, such as soup bones from the butcher. But there is one type of bone that Ernie absolutely can't break up- and truly, he is a hard, hard chewer. I would seriously doubt that other dogs can chew this bone. This is what I'm talking about, made by Natures Variety

Oh, I give those to Daisy and Rosco. They eat them. Not frozen though. I've given them the necks (turkey I think) and the ham bones, I think I gave them a lamb one but they didn't like it so much.

Look at that! I buy them from petfood express too! lol

That is so weird that Ernie doesn't eat them....I thought they were supposed to be part of the NV raw diet.

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:36 pm

I love PFE! I used to live next door to one. I wish there was one close to me new house.

Its one specific bone that he is unable to eat. Ernie can eat the lamb one in a heatbeat. Its the small beef ones that come in a two-pack. Do your dogs eat those? I would seriously be amazed, because Ernie will spend literally 40 hours chewing them and enver makes a dent. And this is a dog that chews up everything else.

LazyDaisy
Forum Junky

Postby LazyDaisy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:59 pm

rednoseErnie wrote:I love PFE! I used to live next door to one. I wish there was one close to me new house.

Its one specific bone that he is unable to eat. Ernie can eat the lamb one in a heatbeat. Its the small beef ones that come in a two-pack. Do your dogs eat those? I would seriously be amazed, because Ernie will spend literally 40 hours chewing them and enver makes a dent. And this is a dog that chews up everything else.

Dang! I was just there yesterday! I should have grabbed one, maybe I'll go back today and see. My daughters school is a block away from one :headbang: . I was so glad to find a store that carries good food around me cuz it's mostly just petco's and petsmart's around us.

I can't say for sure if they had the beef ones...For sure the necks and ham and lamb.

Well looks like the doggies are going to get a yummy experiment today. lol I'll let you know if they are able to eat them. Do you give them to him frozen or thawed? Oh, I guess if he spends that much time chewing them, then they'd be thawed by then! lol

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:37 pm

I give them frozen, but they thaw over time.

I'm interested in the result of your experiment! If Daisy and Roscoe can chew them up, Ernie will bow down to their superior jaws.
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

LazyDaisy
Forum Junky

Postby LazyDaisy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:03 pm

rednoseErnie wrote:I give them frozen, but they thaw over time.

I'm interested in the result of your experiment! If Daisy and Roscoe can chew them up, Ernie will bow down to their superior jaws.
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Well, I got the bones for the dogs last week and gave them to them frozen on Saturday. Yup, they're still around! lol and will be for a while by the looks of it. I have given these before (long long time ago it seems) because I found an old one in the toy bin! lol These are some hard bones!

Return to “Health Issues”