Is your dog allergic?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Is your dog allergic?

My dog has food allergies
16%
My dog has environmental allergies
24%
My dog has both food and environmental allergies
37%
I have more than one dog with food allergies
3%
I have more than one dog with environmental allergies
No votes
I have more than one dog with both food and environmental allergies
21%

Total votes: 38

Meaghan Edwards
Addicted to PBF

Postby Meaghan Edwards » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:00 pm

Both my dogs have seasonal environmental and food allergies. Suki is allergic to nuts (she'll start to itch like crazy if she has any, just as she does with her seasonal allergies) and Hamish is deathly allergic to anything containing lamb. Hamish's eyes get watery in the summer and his feet get itchy :(

With a little Bendadryl, though, they're good as new as far as SA are concerned :)

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:53 am

I *think* Piper may have peanut allergies. But I'm not sure. We fed her a little glob of peanut butter during her first week home and she threw up. We got her some Old Mother Hubbard peanut butter cookies and she threw up with those too. So we stopped all things peanut butter, and now she really doesn't throw up.....just on rare occasions after eating too much grass or leaves.

So, we still don't know if it's peanut butter that did it or new-home anxiety or what...but Piper's not pining for peanut butter, so why fix what ain't broken? She likes her chicken and charcoal treats just as much. :)

jaygirl
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jaygirl » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:10 pm

Kura has environmental allergies and sneezes alot, so we give her benadryl.

Jaydee and Kura we beleive are allergic to Wellness reduced calorie formula. We are looking for something better for them, so we are switching to Wellness fish and sweet potato for now. We think it's a rice allergy.

~!Sasha!~
Newborn Bully

Postby ~!Sasha!~ » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:30 pm

I think Chico has allergies to Salmon or fish in general...One time I fed him tuna and afterwards, like an hour or so, he started panting really hard. I gave him a lil bit of water to shake it off. Sometime during the night, his pants or breathing got back to normal. I fed him salmon like a few weeks later and he did the same thing. I'm confused about this a little bit... :frown:

PineysMom
Forum Junky

Postby PineysMom » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:37 pm

Piney is allergic to everything. Grass, dust mites, mold, trees, cats (!), beef, corn, wheat, and about a million other things. He has had blood tests and intradermal tests. Right now he's being treated for his multiple skin infections (bacterial and fungal). When those clear up 100% we will start him on a vaccine that the vet made for him. In the meantime we are also doing an elimination diet. He's been on a bison-based diet for a couple of months now, with no other kinds of treats or flavored pills or anything. He has flare-ups year-round, but they're worse in the summer. He started showing signs of allergies at about 8 months old.

moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby moochesmama » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:11 pm

I would have chosen 'no allergies'...I think Mooches does have some sensitivities but doesn't ever really suffer from full blown allergy symptoms. If we put him on cheaper food - he's on Nature's Variety Venison and Millet or Salmon - his nose runs slightly and his coat is not as good. Oh and he does have a flea allergy. Puny doesn't seem to have anything allergy-like.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:47 am

None of mine have any allergies. Tully did have a bit of a peanut sensitivity, which she outgrew. When she was a pup, I would sometimes give them OMH brand rawhide strips, peanut butter basted, and she tended to lick her paws a lot after eating one. I switched to plain, and that stopped the paw licking. So, I've not been in the habit of giving her peanut flavored stuff, but she has had it occasionally as an adult, and it doesn't cause her any trouble now.

Elmo gets gassy if he eats corn (I don't know about the girls, I've never fed them food with corn in it), and gets diarrhea if he eats a large amount of wheat. But I wouldn't call that allergies, he just doesn't digest that stuff very well.

Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby Rumpley » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:58 am

I find the huge majority of bull breeds I foster are allergic. This breed is so notorious for that!

Cedric is allergic to almost everything - environmental and food. We did blood and skin tests, and it revealed he is allergic to 54 out of 60 allergens tested! Lucky us! :sad:

I didn't particularly like either test, so I'm not sure which one I would recommend to someone. If your dog is super allergic, the intradermal test turns your dog into a literal pin cushion of giant hives and it's hard to tell what specifically the reactions are too. However the blood test isn't as definitive so it's a toss up.

I call him "my boy in a bubble" because he needs to live in one. We unknowingly almost killed him the first few months we owned him, as we took him to the lake for a "fun day." 4 hours into it, his body was a giant hive, his face so swollen he could barely breathe and we had to rush him to the emergency vet. He was allergic to the cottonwood trees.

We adopted him in January which is pretty much the only month he is allergy free due to the cold weather. Otherwise it's year round symptoms. We always laugh that he misrepresented himself at the shelter!!! lol

He gets serious hives all over his body just from walking outside. Super itchy, and it affects his behaviour as well. He pretty much has stock in the antihistamine companies! Every day we give him pills BEFORE he can even go outside.

Luckily though, I knew enough about food allergies to throw him on a one protein/one carb (Duck and Potato) diet right away upon adoptin so I never had to deal with secondary skin infections like staph, fungal etc, etc. The vet says his coat looks good for such an allergic dog, but his diet is managed 100% of the time. He also sheds a ton because of his allergies. I can't even imagine the vet bills if this dog went to someone who didn't know what they were looking at initially.

If he gets into something he shouldn't, his immune system is so ridiculous that it will make him sick for about 3 days, puking..upset stomach to the point where he's needed Sub Q fluids. We've had about 3 of those episodes and it's really scary. During the first one, we thought he was going to die.

The only thing he can have is Duck and Potato kibble, canned and once in awhile he can stomach a very small amount of Bison or Venison treats and that's it. Not the most balanced diet, but it is what it is. He's allergic to outside 10 months of the year......fun times but we love him!!

we'reforpuppies
Adolescent Bully

Postby we'reforpuppies » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:42 pm

one of our two has horrible food allergies. when we got him, the vet thought he had a bacterial infection, but it came back after the antibiotics wore off. with some help from rumpley, we did a food trial and found a lamb and rice food that works for him. we supplement with sea meal, but we can always tell if he's gotten into the garbage because he breaks out on his armpits and belly.

PineysMom
Forum Junky

Postby PineysMom » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:45 pm

Oh my god, Cedric sounds just like Piney! And I'll tell you, it has been VERY EXPENSIVE to deal with him, especially not knowing at first what we were dealing with.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:20 pm

Poor puppies! I've been pretty fortunate, Riley has some environmental allergies but they're relatively mild and kept under control with a daily anti-inflammatory. She's very allergic to flea bites so we have to be super careful with the flea prevention, esp. in the summer months (which is pretty much most of the year here! :crybaby: ) Flare-ups are worse in warmer months, not so bad in winter. We decided to medicate based only on physical observation, no testing really necessary so far.

LindsaySF
Bully Ambassador

Postby LindsaySF » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:41 am

Interesting topic! :thumbsup:

I'm pretty lucky, no allergies here. Cody has a sensitivity to fleas (we've had them twice, he tried to chew his butt off :frown:) but other than that we're good.

~Lindsay~

LindsaySF
Bully Ambassador

Postby LindsaySF » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:43 am

Oh, and Aidan has Seasonal Flank Alopecia. The vet said she would have suspected environmental allergies or mites if the bald patches weren't perfectly symmetrical.

~Lindsay~

Starbux1
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Starbux1 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:39 pm

Miss Daisy has Colitis, so i don't know if that constitutes an allergy. But after switching her to Merrick - no corn, no wheat flour - and rounding out her food with some brown rice, and ground organic beef boiled in irganic broth, no more problems for almost a year now.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:42 pm

Starbux1 wrote:Miss Daisy has Colitis, so i don't know if that constitutes an allergy. But after switching her to Merrick - no corn, no wheat flour - and rounding out her food with some brown rice, and ground organic beef boiled in irganic broth, no more problems for almost a year now.

Return to “Health Issues”