OL ROY DOG FOOD

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
48lawsofpower

Postby 48lawsofpower » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:32 pm

pitbullcrazy30 wrote:when i hear the name ole roy, i cringe too, but i was reading a post on anouther forum and they said that that brand has come along way??? and that they dont use the same ingredients that they usse too? id never feed it just because all the bad things ive heard about it ... but they made it sound like it wasnt to bad of a choice now days huh?

here is the ingredient list, looks like crap to me

~Ingredients~
Ground yellow corn, soybean meal, ground whole wheat, corn syrup, poultry fat, Meat and bone meal (Animal Fat Preserved with BHA and Citric Acid), Chicken by-product Meal, Rice, Animal Digest, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin D and E Supplement, Niacin, Copper Sulafate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Meadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex Source of Vitamin K, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:40 pm

48lawsofpower wrote:
~Ingredients~
Ground yellow corn, soybean meal, ground whole wheat, corn syrup, poultry fat, Meat and bone meal (Animal Fat Preserved with BHA and Citric Acid), Chicken by-product Meal, Rice, Animal Digest, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin D and E Supplement, Niacin, Copper Sulafate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Meadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex Source of Vitamin K, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid

Ya, somebody lied to ya, atleast one of the first 3 ingredients should be a meat source, and well, there isnt, notice where the first meat is...

Amhailte

Postby Amhailte » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:01 pm

Ugh, that's possibly the worst ingredient list I've ever seen. :yucky:

Where's the meat?

JaystreetsA4
Bully Ambassador

Postby JaystreetsA4 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:59 pm

the meats still at the market lol

Cheshirekatt
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Cheshirekatt » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:03 pm

As someone here eloquently put recently (I can't remember who it was), you'd be better off feeding your dog the crap that came out of a dog on better food than feeding Ol Roy.

jaygirl
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jaygirl » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:04 pm

Umm what is animal digest? Sound really gross. :yucky:

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:48 pm

http://www.purelypets.com/articles/whatsinfood.htm

BHT/BHA and Ethoxyquin
These popular preservatives are heavily used in the pet food industry, not only to preserve fats but to stabilize the whole product as well. We have certainly been educated as to the dangerous side-effects of BHT/BHA in our own diets as a serious carcinogen, but little truth has been shared about Ethoxyquin. This preservative was developed in the 1950's as a rubber stabilizer and herbicide, very similar to Agent Orange! It was either never approved by the FDA or recalled after three years of human use (I researched both accounts) but one thing is for certain, the documented cases of serious side-effects resulting from exposure to, or ingestion of this chemical. Humans who were working with it in the rubber industry, reported a dramatic rise in such diseases as liver/kidney damage, cancerous skin lesions, loss of hair, blindness, leukemia, fetal abnormalities and chronic diarrhea. In animals it has been linked to immune deficiency syndrome, spleen, stomach and liver cancer, as well as the above mentioned diseases. The steady increase in animal cancer and serious diseases has paralleled the increased use of chemical preservatives in the pet food industry during the last twenty-five years!

Uh...NOT for MY dog.

It's preserved in citric acid? Not for Ella. I fear bloat with dog food as it is.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:52 pm

jaygirl wrote:Umm what is animal digest? Sound really gross. :yucky:

http://www.mindspring.com/~kerspin/LowQualityIngred.htm

5. Animal Digest - A powder or liquid made by taking clean, under-composed animal tissue and breaking it down using chemical and or emblematic hydrolysis. The animal tissues used shall be exclusive of hair, horns, teeth, hooves and feathers, except in such trace amounts as might occur unavoidably in good factory practice and shall be suitable for animal feed. If it bears a name descriptive of its kind or flavor(s), it must correspond thereto (i.e., chicken digest). Animal Digest is a cooked-down broth made from unspecified parts of unspecified animals. Any kind of animal can be included: goats, pigs, horses, rats, etc. The animals can be obtained from any source, so there is no control over quality or contamination.

jaygirl
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jaygirl » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:06 pm

http://www.mindspring.com/~kerspin/LowQualityIngred.htm

Thanks. That's alot of helpful information. :thumbsup:

$$$. My 1$t PiT 901

Postby $$$. My 1$t PiT 901 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:56 am

alright i heard iams is crap too..and thats what my neighbor prefered me 2 good..and i couldnt find any ekuanuba plus i heard that stuuff is super expensive..so i bought PURINA PUPPY CHOW..how do you guys feel about that for my pup??!!

48lawsofpower

Postby 48lawsofpower » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:59 am

$$$. My 1$t PiT 901 wrote:alright i heard iams is crap too..and thats what my neighbor prefered me 2 good..and i couldnt find any ekuanuba plus i heard that stuuff is super expensive..so i bought PURINA PUPPY CHOW..how do you guys feel about that for my pup??!!

still crap, but better than Ol Roy.

maybe you should read the top 5 food sticky

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:20 am

you can get alot of good foods online to be deliverd to you too.

www.timberwolforganics.com
www.canidae.com
www.innova.com

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:33 am

A good rule of thumb for pet food is that if you can buy it in a grocery store, it's crap. Even a lot of the foods at national chain pet stores are crap. Your best bet is to learn to read the labels and be choosy about your dog food. You'll spend less at the vet and have a healthier, longer lived dog because of it!

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:45 pm

Ol' Roy uses dog and cat in their "animal digest" its anything that gets thrown into the vat - pounds and shelters sell dead dogs and cats to places like this (ol' roy) and they put it into their dog food.

That worse thing is - all the animals have the chemicals in them to euthanize them - add all of that up and put it in food and that is A LOT of the chemical. :yucky:

Hoss
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby Hoss » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:49 pm

Cheshirekatt wrote:As someone here eloquently put recently (I can't remember who it was), you'd be better off feeding your dog the crap that came out of a dog on better food than feeding Ol Roy.

that was me... :peace:

Return to “Health Issues”