Walking, jogging at 8months

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Walking, jogging at 8months

Postby Awesome_PIT » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:49 pm

How much walking should my boy be able to take, he will be 8 months this week and we usually do about a half mile walk once or twice a day. Is this too much,not enough or just right?? Usually like once a week for the last month or so we walk to the park which is probably less than a half mile and i let him loose in a baseball field for about 30 minutes, then we walk back home. is this too much. He seems like he can go forever it doesnt seem to bother him??
Awesome_PIT

Postby mnp13 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:05 pm

I would say that walking shouldn't be too taxing on him. I don't think he should do much running/jogging on hard surfaces until he is full grown. Pavement is very hard on the joints, especially when running.

In the grass, let him run until he's tired... good luck with that though!! I'm not sure we've ever acutally worn Connor out!

Michelle
mnp13

Postby Awesome_PIT » Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:14 pm

Thanks Mnp you always answer my posts :) Do you think that i can extend his walks to maybe a mile. Not everyday but maybe 2 or 3 times a week or should i wait a little longer???
Awesome_PIT

Postby mnp13 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:46 pm

Sure, why not? Make sure you're not pushing too hard and watch for signs of soreness the next day, if you see any then back off on things for a while and take it slower.

If he's not on pavement/sidewalks the whole time I can't see how it would cause much harm.

Hey, did you ever talk to that trainer in Syracuse?

Michelle
mnp13

Postby Awesome_PIT » Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:04 pm

This is the thing I was SERIOUSLY going to call him and my dad who has had great dogs all his life said well why dont you just train him. Now that seems like the obvious thing to do i was like dad this guy is a professional and hes deals with Pit Bulls specifically. So after som thinking i did this.. i had 4 weeks off from school and i decided that i would give it a REAL shot. he has been doing great. I still want to do it but he has been doing real good with me and its hard to fit in with work and school. Im only 19. My pup responds really well to treats and he would sing a song for a treat if he could. So far he can sit,stay(i also get some cheese and i can place it on the floor for him and he wont eat it untill i say to and also in the middle of playing with his favorite lacrosse ball i can have him sit stay and i throw it and he wont fetch it untill i tell him) he speaks, walks good on leash(not a good healer but he doesnt pull at all or bark at any distractions) The only real tough one with him is his recall. If i just tell him to come he will basically think about it and if he feels like it he will come half the time. He knows the command but is stubborn 50% of the time. Again i would really like to do it but i usually have school till 2 or 3 then i go directly to work, so i have a pretty tough schedule. I also work at least saturday if not sat and sunday. But thanks a lot for all the help and for calling him.. Do you think im doing ok.. i know you will be honest but dont be mean please :oops:

P.S. this is also the first dog that is MINE and the first dog i have ever trained sooo im trying
Awesome_PIT

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:34 pm

Here is another thread on a similar topic. I don't know if it will be of any help...

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5124
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby mnp13 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:03 pm

Awesome_PIT wrote:Do you think im doing ok.. i know you will be honest but dont be mean please

Mean? I'm not mean. Direct, to the point and very opinionated, but not mean! :tongue:

Aaaaaaanyway,

If you are happy with how your dog is behaving then you are doing ok. As long as he is not a rude little brat and doesn't run the house you're fine. If things get difficult or you're just not getting the results you want then seek help.

Michelle
mnp13

Return to Health Issues