sort of urgent

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
snoopsnoop
Forum Junky
Posts: 3109
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Contact:

sort of urgent

Postby snoopsnoop » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:25 am

One of the people in my current living situation made brownies. The guy I share a floor with cut himself a piece of brownie. However, when he picked the brownie up, a piece broke off, fell on the floor and he failed to pick it up. Scavenger Snoopy decided to eat it.

I know what chocolate can do to dogs and i tried to induce vomiting but the hydrogen peroxide isnt fresh, i cant go get more (sleeping 7month old) and i tried salt, but he enjoyed that and hasnt thrown up or even shown signs of distress.

The nearest ER Vet is 25-30 minutes away and if i cant go get fresh H2O2, i cant get to the ER Vet.

Please help!

crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4283
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:14 pm
Contact:

Postby crazy4pits » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:26 am

Your dog will be fine. He would have to ingest a LARGE amount of chocolate.

A small piece of brownie will not hurt.

User avatar
snoopsnoop
Forum Junky
Posts: 3109
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Contact:

Postby snoopsnoop » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:29 am

The thing is, I dont know how big of a piece he got.

For example, would he have to eat like a whole 8x8 inch brownie pan to become sick?


Thank you. I was not looking forward to staying up half the night to try and get Snoopy to puke.

crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4283
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:14 pm
Contact:

Postby crazy4pits » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:32 am

He's fine. Even if it was a whole brownie, that might cause stomach upset, I would be more concerened if he ate the whole pan.

User avatar
snoopsnoop
Forum Junky
Posts: 3109
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Contact:

Postby snoopsnoop » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:35 am

And if you say he will be fine (which i believe), I feel bad for making him drink hydrogen peroxide and gargle salt lol

crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4283
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:14 pm
Contact:

Postby crazy4pits » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:39 am

Here is some info:

White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog.
Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level.
Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog.
Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog.


So if he is 50lbs ok and he had a teaspoonful of milk chocolate no serious problems. If he ate a two layer chocolate cake, he would vomit, diarrhea.

Yes I have been bad and given mine pieces of brownies or cake or cookies. I just be very careul of how much and it's not often. I might get yelled at for that.

User avatar
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler
Posts: 10361
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:21 am

Postby Sarah » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:57 am

He'll be fine. That isn't near enough chocolate to be dangerous. A small amount of chocolate isn't really a big deal. I don't give anything chocolate to my dogs, because I don't want to get in the habit, but lots of people do without incident.

Old iron-gut Elmo once ate about 6 ounces of dark chocolate truffles, which should have been enough to make him sick, but it didn't even give him diarrhea. It would have given me diarrhea, damn him!

User avatar
PineysMom
Forum Junky
Posts: 3413
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:32 am
Location: NYC

Postby PineysMom » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:00 am

Wow, I thought white chocolate was safe for dogs because it doesn't contain any cocoa, just cocoa butter. There are lots of fancy dog treats in local stores with white chocolate coating!

crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4283
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:14 pm
Contact:

Postby crazy4pits » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:11 am

PineysMom wrote:Wow, I thought white chocolate was safe for dogs because it doesn't contain any cocoa, just cocoa butter. There are lots of fancy dog treats in local stores with white chocolate coating!


It takes a LOTS and LOTS of white chocolate....Blue would have to eat almost 1000 pounds of white chcolate to hurt him.

User avatar
PineysMom
Forum Junky
Posts: 3413
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:32 am
Location: NYC

Postby PineysMom » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:16 am

Duh, I should have read your previous post more closely.

crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4283
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:14 pm
Contact:

Postby crazy4pits » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:17 am

PineysMom wrote:Duh, I should have read your previous post more closely.
roflmao

User avatar
fr4nnie
Adolescent Bully
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:27 pm
Location: Torrance, CA
Contact:

Postby fr4nnie » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:29 am

My doxie is almost 8 years old, she always gets small pieces of ice creams, chocolates candies you name it, we don't do give it to her daily. She never had any probelms eating it, never had diarrhea vomiting, and she is very healthy, never really had any health probelms ( she has tarta, but i can assure you it is genetic, her mom had really bad teath) she cries if we don't give her any small piece.
I know it is not good for dogs, the same it is not good for us, that's why we have to eat small quantities. Life is short, especially for dogs, sometimes a little sweet is not gonna hurt. :thumbsup:

savingtoby

Postby savingtoby » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:24 am

Every christmas we used to have a big family get together to do christmas baking. My mother in laws GSD ate her whole plate of fudge and chocolate stuff. This plate wasn't little and it was heaping. This dog didn't get sick, not even a little.Besides the fact that there was no christmas goodies everything turned out ok. I wouldn't worry to much.

User avatar
snoopsnoop
Forum Junky
Posts: 3109
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Contact:

Postby snoopsnoop » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:26 pm

thanks everyone. Not that snoopy is gonna get anymore on a regular basis but at least the next time i know he's not going to spontaneously combust. roflmao

And what made me furius about the situation is the guy who dropped the piece of brownie (who has not had dogs so doesnt know how toxic chocolate can/cant be for them) didnt seem to care that snoopy got it. He just stood there and watched him. I'm stil mad about that.

Big_Ant

Postby Big_Ant » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:49 pm

snoopsnoop wrote:And what made me furius about the situation is the guy who dropped the piece of brownie (who has not had dogs so doesnt know how toxic chocolate can/cant be for them) didnt seem to care that snoopy got it. He just stood there and watched him. I'm stil mad about that.

If he didn't know, why would you be mad at him?

- Anthony


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests