Don't know what to do with this.......

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pitgrrl

Don't know what to do with this.......

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:22 pm

We just got back from the most horrible vet visit. I originally took them in about a little lump thing Streets had, which I actually think is just a bug bite. I mentionned that Basil's lymphnodes felt a bit swollen, so the vet check and it's more than just a bit.

Lots of talk of lymphoma (am I even spelling that right?) and 10 trys at getting a sample with a needle, and nothing. She could only get blood, so we have to go back on Monday and try again.

I really don't have a question I guess, I just don't know what to even think about this. Basil's only about 5, he seems healthy as a horse and only the lymphnodes in his neck are swollen, but the vet still kept saying that when both are equally enlarged like that, lymphoma is likely.

F*ck.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:37 pm

Holy cow. Both my doxies have been swollen since I got him, but it's more of a dental thing I think! It could be an infection, too, so don't panic too much, yet! I'd get a 2nd opinion, for sure...

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:37 pm

I mean both his lymph nodes, sorry (one dog, two nodes) :oops:

savingtoby

Postby savingtoby » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:03 am

Tobys lymph nodes were swollen when I got her too. Her's was from being tyed out with diffrent chock collars. The guy ended up leaving her tied with a pronged collar. :po: Her neck was swollen as well. The vet said she had a slight infection from the damage to her neck . An antibotic cleared it right up and she hasn't had any more problems. hopefully yours is from something simple too.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:29 am

Did you get a good measurement of the lymph node size? With calipers?? If you didn't, I would get yourself some calipers to monitor the lymph nodes at home. Monitoring growth can help you determine if its a minor infection or something more serious.

On the (very slightly) brighter side, lymphoma is one of the few cancers that can be beaten with chemotherapy.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:16 am

Good luck. I hope it turns out to be something simple. :hug: Please update when you find out more.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:13 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:On the (very slightly) brighter side, lymphoma is one of the few cancers that can be beaten with chemotherapy.

Really? Everything I've read, and my vet's expereince, is with chemo you might get another 6-12 months, but that's about it.

I'm not even religious, but at this point I'm praying it's just something else lol

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:24 pm

don't lymph nodes swell up if a dog is ill? Like, aren't swollen lymph nodes a sign that the body is trying to fight off infection of sorts? Does the dog necessarily have to have cancer if the lymph nodes are badly swollen? I'm not a vet and don't know much about this stuff, but I, too, hope it's something simple.

I hope your baby gets better and please keep us informed.

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:41 pm

I'm so sorry! I hope he is ok!

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:01 pm

chewbecca wrote:don't lymph nodes swell up if a dog is ill? Like, aren't swollen lymph nodes a sign that the body is trying to fight off infection of sorts? .

yes

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:14 pm

Vicki's lymph nodes have swollen when her allergies act up, so hopefully it's not even lymphoma.

If it does happen to be lymphoma, I can tell you that when I was taking Pookie for chemo, over half the dogs being treated for cancer had lymphoma...and the treatment was very successful for cases caught early.

I know you also are open to wholistic treatment...so I'm sure Basil will be find...think positive (I know it's hard, but I had to do it, and it makes a WORLD of difference).

PineysMom
Forum Junky

Postby PineysMom » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:17 pm

Best of luck to you and Basil. Please keep us updated, OK?

ABPitLover
Bully Ambassador

Postby ABPitLover » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:30 pm

Oh no :frown: I really hope everything is ok for Basil. I'll direct all my Catholicism to prayers for him this weekend ;) I'm sure everything will be okay.

Like Piney's mama said, please keep us in the loop.

And try not to worry :)

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:45 pm

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the well wishes.
I think the whole thing was just really upsetting because we went in for something really minor with Streets, only to end up being there for a couple of hours poking needles into Basil's neck. The poor guy didn't even flinch once and Streets seemed to know to stay out of the way, tucked into Steve's lap. I've never seen Steve so upset in my life, Basil really has become his dog.

Basil did almost figure out how to stick his paw into the handle on the cookie jar and get the lid off though. Nothing stops his desire for food. lol

Anyway, hopefully on Monday the vet can get something to send to the pathologist, and hopefully it doesn't take 10 attempts.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:57 pm

concreterose wrote:Vicki's lymph nodes have swollen when her allergies act up, so hopefully it's not even lymphoma.

Can I ask hoow much they swell? I know Basil has allergies, and his lymph nodes have been a bit swollen in the past, but this is like large grapes, though only the ones in his neck, all the others are totally normal.

Return to “Health Issues”