Wellness question...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Wellness question...

Postby Nick » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:34 pm

I've recently upgraded foods again...lol and switched my 4 yr old 60 lb maniac over to Wellness Fish and Potato. I switched due to stomach and allergy issues. It's been one week and he's almost on 100% Wellness now. He loves this food so much I can't free feed anymore and now feed twice a day. My question is: If he still seems hungry, can I give him larger servings than the 2 1/2 cups a day without causing any stomach issues. He's extremely active and I think this amount isn't doing it for him. If anyone is feeding Wellness( or whatever) has any input...please let me know.
Thanks, Nick
Nick

Postby duckzilla » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:51 pm

Nick,

I use the Wellness, chicken, but same deal with my girl. She looks longingly at the bowl for more yummy food. Like yours, my dog is very active. I feed her 2 1/2 cups 2x daily, I also mix in half can of wet food. Feedings should still be based on weight, and activity levels. If she is very active you might could add a 1/4 cup to each meal. Or try adding a little wet food. But, it is very important to keep your dog at a healthy weight. =) It'll take a few weeks for your dog to adjust to the new product, feeding him more than he's used to might spawn an over eater. And it's also important to remember that him wanting more is a good sign he likes it!! Dogs will eat and eat and eat and eat if we let em!! Use good judgement, for lower activity days reduce the amount by 1/4 to 1/2 cup. They're nice for training rewards too, so keeping a pocket full of em never hurts!

Hope that offers you something. :thumbsup:
duckzilla

Postby concreterose » Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:01 pm

My dogs always want to eat, no matter how much I feed them. They are staying at a consistent weight, no weight loss or gain, so they don't get anymore food than I measure out. You could give him/her some canned green beans (low sodium) if he still seems hungry. They fill them up and they scarf them down :peace:
concreterose
Regulator

Postby barbponys » Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:39 pm

I wouldn't add more food unless they are losing weight. Their body is pretty much absorbing everything. Give them a few more weeks and see what happens. If you notice weight loss, add a fat source not more food. Yogurt or cottage cheese is good. Adding food just makes them crap more, it costs more than adding a fat source too.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby duckzilla » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:26 pm

good call barb... I've never met a dog who didn't LOVE yogurt. :yipee:
But do you anticipate that to be more filling for Nicks pooch? I think thats the real issue, not weight gain or loss per se, but the dog still acting hungry.
:shakeit:
duckzilla

Postby barbponys » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:56 pm

Well, this is just my perspective but.........dogs should be hungry. Mine act like I never feed them. One that isn't hungry is either sick or fat. Garion would eat till he split and he is far from starved. It's instinct, plain and simple. Unless there is weight loss going on you are feeding enough.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby duckzilla » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:29 pm

duckzilla wrote:
Dogs will eat and eat and eat and eat if we let em!!

Looks like we're speaking the same language! :))
duckzilla

Postby barbponys » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:44 pm

roflmao
Sure does. I had 2 dogs eat 15 pounds of dry a roommate didn't close up. I thought I was going to have 2 dead dogs. How they didn't rupture I will never know.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby moto1320 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:50 pm

Amen. lol A dog that is that damn full all the time has lost it's need to even pay attention to people by about 90%. Hungry dogs are easier to train. Mine are the same way, act like they have never seen food before. Doc cracked into a bag of Wellness and ate about 6 or 7 pounds, he looked like a white guppy and could barely walk. He cried and begged for dinner though I thought we were going to have to rush him to the ER. :roll: It's NEVER enough....

To answer the question, if the dog is just coming onto a quality food, it may not be used to the smaller portions that come with a good diet. You can mix in canned unflavored pumpkin pie filler or green beans to use as a filler. It has little to no caloric content and will make the pup feel full until you wean him down to his new meal size. I have never done this but know those who have. Doc would act like he was dying of starvation even if I gave him a weeks food at once so I figure why bother.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby Nick » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:07 am

Thanks everyone! I like adding the fat source idea, but can he have cottage cheese or yogurt if he's dealing with a sensitive stomach and allergies? I've free-feed him the same lower quality food for 4 years and he's always eaten at least an extra cup or two depending on the season. I'm just not used to him looking into his empty bowl like this. Although, I know it's early yet but I do see a difference in him already from the Wellness. Thanks again, Nick
Nick

Postby barbponys » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:29 am

If he has milk sensitivities I would avoid cottage cheese. Try the yogurt and see how he does. It can be hard to find full fat yogurt but it's out there, Mountain High and Brown Cow are two brands I use. I don't know if they are local or what but they offer full fat. Another alternative is goats milk, it's tolerated a little better as a general rule, it ain't cheap but you don't have to use a lot either.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby mnp13 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:50 pm

Cottage cheese is verydifferent than yogurt.

The reason that many lactose intolerant people can have yogurt is because yogurt is made with enzymes that 'pre-digest' the proteins in the milk. I know, that sounds gross, but its the easiest way to describe it.

Cottage cheese, and most other cheeses, are made by using a starter to 'ripen' the milk and then rennett to make the ripened milk solidify.

If you have problems with all diary, including yogurt and cheeses, you may want to find a source of non-pasturized, non-homogenized milk. Pasturization is what is 99% responsible for lactose intolerance, when milk is heated to pasturize it, the heat kills most of the enzymes and a good number of the vitamins as well. Pasturized milk is just slightly healthy white water. Ultra-pasturized milk is garbage, plain and simple, with almost no nutritional value left in it.

Milk is a living food, when you heat it you kill all the good stuff - and if you got it from a good source, there wasn't any bad stuff to begin with.

If you want to find a source for goat's milk check out RealMilk.com. I get my goats milk for $5 a gallon.

Michelle
mnp13

Return to Health Issues