nail cutting problem

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

nail cutting problem

Postby FantomsDad » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:48 pm

I have been slowing getting my dog used to touching his feet and that area. He used to be extreemely sensite about people touching his feet and there hasn't been that big of an improvement. I think he got his nails clipped to fair at petsmart. Neways it's been about 2 months now and I've started with just letting him see and sniff the nail clippers.

What has everybody else done in a situation like this?
FantomsDad
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby kczigg » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:56 pm

My vet gave me a script for acepromazine(sp?). I give my 60 lb laid back female pitti who REFUSES to let you touch her feet 25mg and in exactly 1 hour and 15 minutes, she is crashed and as long as you rub her belly, she'll let you do anything to her.

I have a bigger, 80 lb, high energy male that I give the same dose to and it doesn't knock him out as much, but it mellows him out enough that he will let you do anything to him too. He isn't as defensive as she is when it comes to the nailcutting to begin with, though he surely isn't a fan of it either, so it makes the whole process painless for all.
kczigg

Postby Copper's Mom » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:02 am

I don't resort to medicating my dog for just a nail clipping. He won't let me clip his nails but he'll let the vet do them! I hold a treat in my fist and let him sniff and have a taste while hugging him from the neck up and a tech hold his body and the vet clips his nails. Distraction works wonders!!

If it comes down to it where he does try to snap, only then would I muzzle him. I don't like having to put meds in my dog's system unless they are beneficial.
Copper's Mom
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues