white pit in sun?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

white pit in sun?

Postby brandon » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:56 pm

hi, i have a solid white 1yr. old apbt i took him to the vet today and found out he has demodectic mange. also the vet told me not to let my dog be in the sun, on account that a white pit doesnt have any pigment. he compared it to a newborn baby being in the sun. his secretary told me i didnt even need to play with or walk him in the sun. i dont want to sunburn or hurt my dog by any means. has anybody delt with this before or can someone give me some advice?

thanx
brandon
brandon

Postby pocketpit » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:03 pm

You should limit the amount of time your dog spends in the sun if he has no pigment. Are his eye rims pink? What color is his nose?

This doesn't mean that he can't be outdoors when the sun is out, just that he doesn't need to spend hours with the sun beating down on him or he could sunburn. White dogs with no pigment are more prone to tumors and cancers than can be triggered by too much sun exposure.

If he has areas on his head that have little or very thin hair you can use sunscreen to prevent any sunburn.
pocketpit

Postby PitBullPride » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:46 pm

Both of my pitties are white. My male is black nosed and my female is red nosed. They only go outside to go on walks or to potty, and they both have that pink skin....but I did notice that Shai (the red nose) does burn quicker....she gets REAL pink....so I keep it limited on the outside time... 8)
PitBullPride

Postby moto1320 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:54 pm

Doc is all white and Daisy is Sable with a white head, she actually burns far worse than my all white dog because of very thin fur. They are both pinky's and get SPF 50 smeared all over thier mugs if we go out for a walk any farther that around the block in the summer.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby brandon » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:08 pm

his eye rims are pink and his nose is mostly black still pink in the center.
thanks
brandon

Postby mnp13 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:19 pm

Try horse sunscreen. It is made to stay on even through horse sweat, so it will definately stay on for a dog. Make sure you rub it down through the coat to get it to the skin.

Baby SPF 50 works very well too. NO-AD is available at most drug stores and is nice and cheap.

Michelle
mnp13

Postby JessaNGizmo » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:28 pm

How are you and your vet treating the Demodex? I have a rescue pup that has been dealing with it since he was born, Oct 19th Estimated, but let me know....Did the vet do a skin scraping? How severe is it?
Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Postby brandon » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:07 pm

the vet did a skin scraping. im not sure if it is local or general, the doctor wasnt there when i came back to pick him up. we are treating it with orbax 68mg once daily for a week and mitaban dips weekly for...i believe he said 8 weeks.
brandon

Postby JessaNGizmo » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:49 pm

orbax 68mg once daily - NEVER heard about this for treatment...Hmmmm

and the dips....God, I HATE the dips, Ivermectin works....Thats the ONLY thing thats kept Baloo with us.....
Jessa

You should call and talk with the vet. Do the dips for a little while but honestly I dont think the dips work. You need to heal from the inside out and I think that the ivermectin works that way. I would also put your dog on a high quality food, with supplements. Right now Baloo is on Echinachea, Vitamin C and Sea Meal also Fresh Ground Flax Seed. I hope you have a good vet because you will be there regualry. Right now we are there weekly for shots of Ivermectin. If you would like to talk more about this just PM me ok.....What food is your pup on? Has your pup began to loose all his hair?
Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Postby deltron » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:45 pm

mnp13 wrote:Try horse sunscreen. It is made to stay on even through horse sweat, so it will definately stay on for a dog. Make sure you rub it down through the coat to get it to the skin.

Michelle

I didn't know this existed, we are always re-applying the baby sunscreen, but horse sunscreen sounds like it would last longer. My dogs aren't white but we use it anyways.
deltron

Postby MyPitIsAJ » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:41 pm

I never thought of this, but I guess it makes sense. AJ will have sunscreen on from now on in the heat of summer...

What do those of you who limit outside time during sunny days do for excercise?

Andy & AJ
MyPitIsAJ

Return to Health Issues