Acclimating for the winter

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Acclimating for the winter

Postby pits of pa » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:18 pm

For anyone who is interested, acclimating your dog should start now. As the weather on the northeast starts to cool at nite in August/September, the dogs' fur starts shedding and then thickening with their dense winter fur. To acclimate, they do need to be outside the majority of the time, especially night when the weather is the coldest in these months. The dogs are also fed more than usual to give them that extra energy that keeps them warm during the dead of winter. Mine have wooden houses with straw, and all kennels are wrapped in tarp specifically ordered for their exact measurements. They do come in the house for lovin' and kickin' back with the family, but they don't stay in very long, as they do seem to overheat and are uncomfortable. Years ago, I never really knew how thick their winter fur was until spring when they started shedding it. OMG. "Blowing coat" Though their hair never got longer, brushing them out, you would think I was brushing a GSD with all that fur blowing around on the grass. And it took weeks to get it all out. If you must kennel your dog during the winter, the key to a warm dog is "acclimation" and upping their food intake, among the obvious kennel prep. Would a chained dog have as much warmeth as mine? I have no idea, (but I doubt it). But I would at least suggest a door guard or something to prevent the elements getting inside the box.

Winter will be here soon! UGH
pits of pa

Postby concreterose » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:23 pm

:goodpost:
Thanks for that useful information!
concreterose
Regulator

Postby megan203 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:25 pm

Winter will be here soon!

lalalalalalalaaaaaa! I can't hear you!
megan203

Postby loon123 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:25 pm

Good info...
I normally feed Diamond dog food, of course Chopper is still on the Diamaond puppy. One of the books I have recommends adding extra fat to the Pit Bull's diet in the winter. What would be good? I've always just put our older dogs on higher protein during winter.
I hope we have snow to play in, if it has to be winter, at least snow! I am looking forward to getting some better winter gear and remaining active outdoors this year with Chopper. Last year I stayed in way too much and it wasn't good for me!
loon123

Postby Leslie H » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:36 pm

Xanny's staying inside, sleeping on the bed, and wearing her coat when we're out for extended periods.
Thanks pits of pa, I've had ab's out the majority of the winter, but not apbt's.
Beware of cooked fat, it isn't good for dogs.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby JessaNGizmo » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:26 pm

Yeah no cooked fat, BAD BAD BAD BAD!!

Well here in Az its ALLWAYS Summer....so no need for me to REALLY worry... :crybaby: ITS JUST NOT FAIR.....

I want snow, wanna blow it over this way?!?!?! I'll take it all!
Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Postby SpudsBud » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:51 pm

JessaNGizmo wrote:I want snow, wanna blow it over this way?!?!?! I'll take it all!
Jessa

Haha, come live in Canada for the winter...you'll change your mind in a hurry.
I'm gonna have to get Spud one of those fruity looking doggie coats :crybaby:
SpudsBud

Postby JessaNGizmo » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:12 pm

There are some REALLY nice Doggy Coats out there! Start a thread about it and Im sure everyone will share theirs! I was considering to move to Canada but with the BSL going on, that place is yet another place Im saying no way to.... :sad: Blow the snow over my way! Ill take it! Trust me Snow is WAY better then 120+ degrees!
Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Return to Health Issues