He ate the whole thing? (sam, read this!)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

He ate the whole thing? (sam, read this!)

Postby SpudsBud » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:00 pm

So when I got Spud from sam she gave me a bag of frozen marrow bones that looked pretty meaty.

I gave him one on Sunday and he ate the marrow and meat and kinda chewed on the bone, then left it. Well I went out for a few hours today, so I put Spud in his crate and gave him a fresh one from the freezer and when I came back it was ALL gone, not a trace of it left except a wet spot on his blanket. Should I be worried? I'm thinking it must've been just a chunk of marrow. I didn't look at it too closely before I gave it to him...it looked pretty meaty though.

Sam, are there chunks in there that are just marrow and no bone? The whole bag was frozen together so I just banged it on the counter until one came loose.
SpudsBud

Postby JB » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:10 pm

I was just posting about this in the health forum. How old is your dog? It takes my dog about 2 or 3 hours to eat a good sized frozen marrow bone. Bone and all, down the hatch. It's perfectly fine/normal.
JB

Postby pheen » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:04 pm

My dog ate a KFC chicken breast right off a plate (I was distracted by a phone call), bone and all swallowed in under two minutes and he was fine (better than I was, panicking and calling the vet).
pheen
Adolescent Bully

Postby concreterose » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:48 pm

Pookie routinely eats a quarter to half of her marrow bones. All it does is make her poop white and crumbly :yucky:
concreterose
Regulator

Postby SpudsBud » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:02 pm

He's around 15 months. So I shouldn't be too concerned?
SpudsBud

Postby JessaNGizmo » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:23 pm

I have uncooked frozen marrow bones in the freezer, Do I not have to cook them?! I was told I allways should, then cool then give them!?
Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Postby barbponys » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:59 pm

DON'T cook bone. Just give them raw. My pug will eat large quantities of raw bone. My two pits eat half chickens, all raw. Your pup will poop white, it'll crumble away. No problem. It's good for them to get the raw meaty bones........gives them lots of chewing, develops jaw muscles, helps with teeth cleaning. Makes for a very happy pooch.
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby GreddysAngel » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:14 pm

Can you give them any kind of raw meet. I keep hearing ppl say feed them raw meet. You'd think it would be bad for them. More info would be great.
GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby JessaNGizmo » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:59 pm

Well next time I go to work, Calling in as I am sick as a dog, they will both get one! I dont know who I heard it from but man I would like to kick their butt! No more cooked bones!! Thanks everyone!
Jessa
JessaNGizmo

Postby SpudsBud » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:15 am

Spud puked up some bone chunks last night, and had 2 poops this morning, one was normal and the other had little white bits in it. But his appetite and everything else is normal. Anyway we're going to the vets at 11:30 today, just for a checkup, so I'll mention it.
SpudsBud

Postby duckzilla » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:34 am

Heres some reading material:

www.barfworld.com/
www.ighawaii.com/naturally/newsletter/barf.html

Great stuff, I dont do B.A.R.F. 100% myself, well because I'd probably go bankrupt. :)) But my dog LOVES frozen turkey necks! It's like a pup-cicle.

Theres about a million threads on here about raw food diets in this very same section. And likewise some very knowledgeable people who regularly feed B.A.R.F. and have had tremendous success. A search here might even lend better results than even Google.

Cheers.
duckzilla

Return to Health Issues