question about blue pitts

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

question about blue pitts

Postby glockowner78577 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:46 pm

I read on blue pitt breeder's site that blue pitts have a defect/disease causing them to be that blue color? Is this so? I had never heard this before and I figured the experts around here should know a thing or two regarding this.
glockowner78577
 

Re: question about blue pitts

Postby HartagoldAST » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:11 pm

glockowner78577 wrote:I read on blue pitt breeder's site that blue pitts have a defect/disease causing them to be that blue color? Is this so? I had never heard this before and I figured the experts around here should know a thing or two regarding this.


Well first of all, if they are breeding "Blue pitts" (there is only one T in PIT), and they think they are defective, then what does that say for that "breeder's" ethics?? I don't care if they're "sick", I'll breed them anyhow, since I can make some MONEY! :yucky:

And to answer your question, NO, the color is NOT caused by any defect or disease. It is a simple recessive gene - a dilute of the color black.

Anyone breeding for ANY specific color (or huge heads & chests, xtra large size, etc) is NOT someone you want to take any advice from, or buy a dog from.
HartagoldAST
 

Postby JessaNGizmo » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:16 pm

GlockOwner,

If you want to see a REPUTABLE Breeder then http://www.hartagold.com/mydogs.htm is where you should go. Shes one of my favorite breeders and I am 100% against breeding. She shows and cares for her dogs the correct ways. Blues do have alot of "issues" because of the people you are talking about. I have a blue rescue that has Demodex mange, along with MAJOR joint problems and he is currently at the vet EVERY week for shots so there are reputable blues but 99% of the "breeders" out there dont do it correctly like HartaGold does......
Jessa
JessaNGizmo
 

Postby phil me in » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:42 pm

wait do blues have more problems than other colored pits?
phil me in
 

Postby AllAmericanPUP » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:47 pm

it's been said that they are more prone to skin problems, but I dont know if that is true or not.
AllAmericanPUP
 

Postby whiskeyman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:18 pm

phil me in wrote:wait do blues have more problems than other colored pits?



I isn't the fact that they are blue that causes them to have more problems. It is the fact that breeders that breed for specific color, head size, body size, and such are breeding dogs that shouldn't be bred to start with. They are passing along problems from litter to litter and do not care or even know that they are doing so.
Most of us here have no problems with the blue pits at all (I like them by the way) it is the breeders that are breeding for the blue color that we have problems with.


later
jeremy
whiskeyman
 

Postby JessaNGizmo » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:56 pm

Whiskey Man and All American is right.

MANY "breeders" dont care about the breed, they just want the money. So they just get two dogs and breed them. They dont do health testing at all and well blues are such a fad that the blues are getting bred WAY to much and its just not a good thing. My blue boy is a rescue and was found with all his sisters and mother and they all had joint issues, and HORRIBLE mange. Baloo was the only one that made it out of the whole group. He allmost didnt make it but with all the people that love him he was sponsored and still is till this day, THANK GOD! People just get two dogs and get them together. I once saw a "breeders site" with a young pup with demodex mange and put that he is a soon to be stud. All dogs are prone to everything if they are over bred and over produced with out having responsible breeders do necesary health tests. Pits are prone to skin issues, allergies, elbow problem, hip displasia and knee problems. Probably more but those are the ones that I know of. Dogs are just seen as throw away items and people just dont care.......
Jessa
JessaNGizmo
 

Postby mnp13 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:12 pm

phil me in wrote:wait do blues have more problems than other colored pits?


They tend to have weak immune systems, weak immune systems lead to mange, among other things.

Most Pit Bull people (myself included) don't think blues are pure Pit Bulls in the first place. Most 'blues' look more like Mastiffs, and they are usually FAR larger than a correct Pit Bull, i.e. 60 pounds. Yes, of course, there are exceptions to that, research the bell curve, but the average Pit Bull is that size. You'll notice that a vast majority of the 'moster pits' look more like Mastiffs, go figure!

I don't think any responsible breeder breeds blues - though I could certianly be wrong there, as I only know of two or three responsible Pit Bull breeders in the first place.

Also, a common breeding 'technique' of BYB's is close line breeding to ensure that the litter will be predominantly blue - gotta bring in that CASH! Line breeding done by idiots creates dogs with a long list of problems including the afore mentioned weak immune system, hip and elbow problems and behavior issues.

Michelle
mnp13
 

Postby lt1pnyklr » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:29 pm

JessaNGizmo wrote:GlockOwner,

Shes one of my favorite breeders and I am 100% against breeding.


How can you say you are against breeding 100%¿ If there werent breeders then we wouldnt have these dogs!
lt1pnyklr
 

Postby JessaNGizmo » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:45 pm

lt1pnyklr wrote:
JessaNGizmo wrote:GlockOwner,

Shes one of my favorite breeders and I am 100% against breeding.


How can you say you are against breeding 100%¿ If there werent breeders then we wouldnt have these dogs!


I dont support breeding because there is no use for it RIGHT NOW. Go to petfinder.org if you want a dog go there. Thousands are put down just because there arent good homes. None the less why breed when dogs are being killed by the thousands every day?
:roll:
Jessa
JessaNGizmo
 

Postby lt1pnyklr » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:50 pm

JessaNGizmo wrote:
lt1pnyklr wrote:
JessaNGizmo wrote:GlockOwner,

Shes one of my favorite breeders and I am 100% against breeding.


How can you say you are against breeding 100%¿ If there werent breeders then we wouldnt have these dogs!


I dont support breeding because there is no use for it RIGHT NOW. Go to petfinder.org if you want a dog go there. Thousands are put down just because there arent good homes. None the less why breed when dogs are being killed by the thousands every day?
:roll:
Jessa


well that makes sense now that you give an explanation. just seemed like you were saying breeding is bad but someone has to do it.
lt1pnyklr
 


Return to Health Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron